It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age of the universe.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I think that you have to first identify that there is no "the" universe. We live in "a" universe, which exists in deep space. Leave the edge of this universe, and there are others out there. A little oversimplified, but you get the picture.

So, they date "this" universe to 15-20 billion years. Byrd, that number does seem a bit arbitrary, as it has changed a few times since i was a teen. So much for having a primary and secondary measurement, huh?

The Earth is what, 13 billion years? So that means that the Earth was born out of a relatively young universe. So then one wonders how the universe had time to make all that visible history that is dated at billions of years old as well. To me, this is where the main stream logic breaks down a bit.

However, David Bohm said it best i believe. See my signature.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I think that you have to first identify that there is no "the" universe. We live in "a" universe, which exists in deep space. Leave the edge of this universe, and there are others out there. A little oversimplified, but you get the picture.

I think peoples point here is how old is this multi-verse thing and where does it end? If it can ends then what exactly is the barrier between us and the "outside". Would it be like a concrete wall or air you poke your hand through?

To whoever asked...
Black holes never ever fill up, and nor do they explode because of it. They do however explode when they get empty. This happens because even though nothing can pass beyond the event arisen, stuff can leave before it. When this happens (and it happens all the time in the form of radiation) the event horizon shrinks. Eventually it shrinks too much, and the black hole becomes unstable and explodes.

I have a question: How come people say the universes expansion is speeding up if it is already expanding at the speed of light?
I mean if the universe is expanding less than the speed of light how does that work, given that the big bang must have made-left a pretty big flash of light-radiation when it went of?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join