It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would guns be with us even if humanity regressed back to stone age?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Since gunpowder and firearms have both been around since before electricity, i would assume that we would have no problem manufacturing similar tools in a post apoc setting.

I already addressed this. The firearms described as being made 'by primitive tools' were not in fact made by primitive tools.
Thats not what i'm talking about. I'm saying we have been making firearms for over 800 years. Since way before the industrial revolution.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Very true, early version's of musket's were made using traditional forging and blacksmithing technique's, often the barrel was nothing more then a bundle of shaped steel or iron rod's held together with ring's of brass just like early cannon were and of course black powder is simple enough to make but then if they forgot how to do so what with modern ammunition being readily available and no need to use piles of poo for the nitrite etc then maybe we would forget.
edit on 27-9-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Thats not what i'm talking about. I'm saying we have been making firearms for over 800 years. Since way before the industrial revolution.

Then why did you quote what I said that was not even addressed to you? I made it clear what my response that you quoted was related to.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
There has been an ammo shortage since 2013 Sandy Hook because everyone is stocking up an insane amount. I know people that have 20,000 rounds PER GUN. Come to find out this is very common. I'm a piker I guess.

There will be guns and ammo for generations after they not being manufactured anymore.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: tkwasny
There has been an ammo shortage since 2013 Sandy Hook because everyone is stocking up an insane amount. I know people that have 20,000 rounds PER GUN. Come to find out this is very common. I'm a piker I guess.

There will be guns and ammo for generations after they not being manufactured anymore.

No stocking up 20k rounds is not normal.
Maybe 2K split between 2-4 rifles for 4 people but 20k is absurd,if it hits the fan 20k rounds of ammo is a lot for one or two people to carry around among their other gear.

The people stocking up .22 are the worst because they are just wasting money on ammo that will be looted from them when it hits the fan if anyone is desperate enough to use a .22. Me I'll stick to my AK and my 7.62x39,cause anyone who attacks me when SHTF I plan on killing.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19860488]Xtrozero

Bat [email protected] I say more?!?

Gun powder was developed in the 9th century. We have found bronze firearms as old as 1288

No, bat Sh@t makes great gun powder.... near San Antonio there is a very large bat cave and the confederates mined it during the civil war.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: VashTheStampede

The people stocking up .22 are the worst because they are just wasting money on ammo that will be looted from them when it hits the fan if anyone is desperate enough to use a .22. Me I'll stick to my AK and my 7.62x39,cause anyone who attacks me when SHTF I plan on killing.

Really? .22 is the best. Get yourself 20k rounds for rather cheap price. This will be your main hunting ammo.

BTW I would just sit back about 500 yards with my 308 if I wanted to take a place, or 200 yards with my .556 and Acog...Don't need a a lot of 308 ammo though. Ammo would also be great for trading and stashing.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Really? .22 is the best. Get yourself 20k rounds for rather cheap price. This will be your main hunting ammo.

BTW I would just sit back about 500 yards with my 308 if I wanted to take a place, or 200 yards with my .556 and Acog...Don't need a a lot of 308 ammo though. Ammo would also be great for trading and stashing.

I wouldn't trust .22 ammo for anything other than plinking it is just way to unreliable. The only dud rounds I've ever had been .22 rounds.

For hunting I only use 7.62 or larger.
I could see using .22 ammo as something to trade but otherwise it is about the worst SHTF caliber, I'd use .223/5.56 minimum for SHTF.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I wouldn't trust .22 ammo for anything other than plinking it is just way to unreliable. The only dud rounds I've ever had been .22 rounds.

I can hit 100 yards all day within a 3 inch circle with .22..... you going to shoot small game with a .7.62...lol, The real gem is the .17 for small game, but it is hard to beat the fact you can buy .22 in blocks of 5000 cheap.

For hunting I only use 7.62 or larger.
I could see using .22 ammo as something to trade but otherwise it is about the worst SHTF caliber, I'd use .223/5.56 minimum for SHTF.

You are talking protection, and I'll stick with .556/308/300BK, but pick your poison if you like 7.62. I'm not going to have a shootout with .22, but the other 364 days I need to eat and I'll use .22 all day unless it is a deer or larger.

It is not all about protecting your home. In that case you are better off to form a pack with other families and create a compound. All I'm saying is do not under estimate the .22 when it comes to survival to put food on the table. Also don't forget the shot gun either....

edit on 27-9-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Guns aren't that complicated. The concept has been established to the point of being a meme in most human societies. Where those people survive, so will the knowledge to make guns in some form or other. If smithing and chemistry knowledge exists, than so will the means to make firearms.

Guns don't necessarily have to be gunpowder or conventional bullets either. Just something providing enough propellant force to shoot something out a tube. A spud-gun could easily be made to shoot a molotov-style incendiary round much further than anyone could throw, something to consider if a SHTF scenario occurs. Of course nobody messes with stuff like that now, as authorities like the ATF frown on people playing around with stuff like that.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Even post SHTF, I'm sure guns will still be made, as well as the ammo for them. Right tools and supplies, not really a problem if you have the know-how, or are willing to experiment and learn.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join