It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would guns be with us even if humanity regressed back to stone age?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
In many post apocalyptic scenarios, it features humanity losing industrial technology and going back to primitive living . However, I wonder would guns be with us for as long as we live?

This question came to me after watching about how some Pakistani villagers were able to make AK 47s out of primitive hand tools.

And here is an article that shows more information.

In his 1922 book, Story of the North West Frontier Province, author JM Ewart writes: “That gap in the low hills (south of Peshawar city) marks the Kohat Pass, which really has a better claim to being a historic highway of invasion than the Khyber itself. By it, across a neck of Afridi country, runs the Frontier Road to Kohat and Bannu, to Dera Ismail Khan and Razmak.

The villages of the pass are famed for a strange industry — the manufacture entirely by hand of rifles and ammunitions, especially rifles, to the eye so like the products of European arsenals as to deceive all but experts. For these, since they are comparatively cheap and serviceable, there is a ready sale all along the border.”

tribune.com.pk...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Well didn't the stone man had stones to fight with?

Yes I been funny, still is very clear through human history that men has always been crafty when it comes to the use of their environment to defend themselves.

A SHORT HISTORY OF WEAPONS

www.localhistories.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I would say yes as long as we have the knowledge. It would be passed down the old fashion way just as hunter and gatherers passed down their tool making knowledge.

Guns would be the most effective tool for killing animals to survive in the food category. We would not let that tool die out.

It would take a near ELE to knock us back far enough to where that knowledge would be lost and we started back at square one.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Well the issue is according to official history, there was no other civilization in the level of our technology before the stone age. If humanity were to go back to stone age right now, we would still retain the knowledge to make guns since guns can be manufactured using primitive tools as seen in the video.
edit on 27-9-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

This question came to me after watching about how some Pakistani villagers were able to make AK 47s out of primitive hand tools.

I watched the video. they are not making weapons out of hand tools and if you meant to say they are using primitive hand tools they are not doing that also, they are using the same types of machines as other gunsmiths.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

What about in cases like a pandemic? I'm pretty sure in isolated parts of the world especially the Middle East and Africa, some people will still retain the knowledge to manufacture firearms even if they live in a hunter gatherer society.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well there was a member here in ATS who mentioned how some people in Pakistan and Afghanistan used primitive hand tools. So yes while they do used machinery to manufacture firearms, there are some with exceptional talents that manage to make firearms out of primitive hand tools.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Well there was a member here in ATS who mentioned how some people in Pakistan and Afghanistan used primitive hand tools. So yes while they do used machinery to manufacture firearms, there are some with exceptional talents that manage to make firearms out of primitive hand tools.

Doubtful, you need hardened steel tools to manufacture firearms. There is nothing primitive about those.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

regardless even in a TEOWAKI guns will still be around. The cat is out of the bag. While yes we will use melee weapons, many of the machinery in Pakistan do not require computerized technology and can be built when humanity is recovering.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

regardless even in a TEOWAKI guns will still be around. The cat is out of the bag. While yes we will use melee weapons, many of the machinery in Pakistan do not require computerized technology and can be built when humanity is recovering.

Most of it required electricity as depicted in the video.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's all projectiles' fault.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

In the article under the video, they manufactured old British firearms from the 19th century. So they don't really need electricity at all. They have been copying British firearms ever since the British arrived in the 19th century and brought them Martini-Henris

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Doubtful, you need hardened steel tools to manufacture firearms. There is nothing primitive about those.

define a firearm
sure, being blown back into the stone age for any significant amount of time will inevitably see things like .50cal guns and such become a relic, but potato guns and other innovative projectile devices will become commonplace.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

In the article under the video, they manufactured old British firearms from the 19th century. So they don't really need electricity at all. They have been copying British firearms ever since the British arrived in the 19th century and brought them Martini-Henris

Which were not cartridge-based weapons. All the firearms they used in the video require precision machining.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

not really the height of technological society back then.

cats outta the bag. we know how to make projectiles via contained explosions. thats all thats required. everything else (precision fabrication and all that) is just advancing the craft.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Your not only talking about machinery skills for making firearms, and for the ammunition.

Then your talking chemistry skills of making the gun powder used to fire the projectile.

And still talking about using machinery skills to make projectiles.

That is a whole lot of work. That does require certain skill sets.

Then one would have to find the resources to make gun powder.

It would just be easy to use rocks, and bow, and arrows.

I would not trust anything made like a firearm using substandard equipment,tools, and powder.

One would literally be playing russian roulette.

Firearms are made to exact design tolerances.

Gun powder the same way.
edit on 27-9-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I am commenting on the video from the Original Post in which it was erroneously claimed to have depicted firearms being made from 'primitive tools'. They were not, they were using precision machining.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Would guns be with us even if humanity regressed back to stone age?

YES. Of course they would be made out of stone.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: SaturnFX

I am commenting on the video from the Original Post in which it was erroneously claimed to have depicted firearms being made from 'primitive tools'. They were not, they were using precision machining.

ok, fair enough. I was getting the impression it was started to drift into a more general discussion of can we make guns without advanced machinery.
yeah, that video is just showing basic manufacturing and gun hoarding really. nothing goes to waste I reckon. lot of people moving into those lands over the years, lots of people dying there, and lots of collection from the dying, the wars, etc.
land of the refurbished guns

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Guns are easy, gun powder is hard.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join