It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's companies are hoarding $1.4 trillion in cash

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
So you think Obama and government bureaucracy in general is terrible for business and stifling their profit making and by extension job creation? Well guess again. In fact, not only have a lot of companies continued to see record profits during the Obama years, but they have a lot of money at their disposal that they could be using if they wanted to. How much? Nearly one and a half trillion dollars. What is true is that American companies often don't hire as many people as they could because they care more about being cheap than the well being of America or Americans. Now these same CEO's want to control the Presidency. I hope they don't succeed.

America's companies are hoarding $1.4 trillion in cash

money.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

This is what happens when you have the second highest corporate tax rate in the world.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The best part of trickle down economics is when the corporations pee on your leg and tell you it's raining. If these corporations want hide their money offshore and outsource jobs then maybe they should go live somewhere else. Why should they get to enjoy the privilege of being an American at everyone else's expense. The American people are the ones being exploited by these jerks.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This is what happens when you have the second highest corporate tax rate in the world.

Blah blah blah poor corporations. We also have the highest cost of living in the world. Been hearing for years that we must cut taxes for the job makers. All they do with it is buy more yachts. It sure don't end up in the citizens hands. Wages have been stagnant for 20 years.
edit on 27-9-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

This is what happens when we deviate from the original corporate charter system that was designed to limit what a corporation could do, how it's money was spent and it's sole purpose to exist had to benefit the people.

The country was founded on the very principle that banks and corporations had to be severely restricted, if they had to exist at all. Tax rates are not what we need to be looking at.

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered

Thomas Jefferson

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

This is what happens when you have the second highest corporate tax rate in the world

Most companies pay very little in taxes. This has been debunked about a billions times, yet somehow people keep making this bogus claim. I'm going to have to call dishonesty here.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Huh.

The Megalocorps are economic vagrants, they will always wander, wander to wherever the taxes are low.

Ireland cracked down, Australia and other countries want to crack down...and so the migration continues.

Where is the next safe haven going to be?

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
Blah blah blah poor corporations. We also have the highest cost of living in the world. Been hearing for years that we must cut taxes for the job makers. All they do with it is buy more yachts. It sure don't end up in the citizens hands. Wages have been stagnant for 20 years.

So continued off-shoring is going to make it better? If you could make more money in Town A than Town B would you go there?

This is so unbelievably simplistic that I am astounded that everyone does not get this. It is a zero sum game, if we are not competitive somewhere else gets the money.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

This is what happens when we deviate from the original corporate charter system that was designed to limit what a corporation could do, how it's money was spent and it's sole purpose to exist had to benefit the people.

The country was founded on the very principle that banks and corporations had to be severely restricted, if they had to exist at all. Tax rates are not what we need to be looking at.

While I am a huge fan of Jefferson he could not have envisaged the global marketplace we now operate in and the status quo is already established. We, as a nation, are not nearly as competitive as we need to be.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Most companies pay very little in taxes. This has been debunked about a billions times, yet somehow people keep making this bogus claim. I'm going to have to call dishonesty here.

So why do companies move offshore?

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
The Megalocorps are economic vagrants, they will always wander, wander to wherever the taxes are low.

Exactly. Which is why I am surprised that people are surprised.

Where is the next safe haven going to be?

I would wager on Africa.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

So why do companies move offshore?

cheap-human-labour = low financial overheads therefore higher profits.

(sorry to state the obvious but I can't help myself - you can thank red wine for this)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

cheap-human-labour = low financial overheads therefore higher profits.

(sorry to state the obvious but I can't help myself - you can thank red wine for this)

Really? Is the labor rate that much cheaper in Ireland and Australia? How about the Caribbean? Are they booming with manufacturing?

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I can agree. But can you agree that our corporate infrastructure is beyond what should be acceptable in a country in which the individual should take precedent over the corporation? That is not what we have today. The corporation owns the government and the government serves them, not the people.

It's out of control and while I believe there is much room for compromise, it's evident that something is wrong in this country regarding corporations.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

There is nothing cheap about Australian labour (can't speak for the leprechauns) - that's why the offshore industry is outsourcing to Indonesia and the Philippines even to the point of circumventing powerful unions. It's no surprise we just elected a corporate millionaire as PM.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a
I can agree. But can you agree that our corporate infrastructure is beyond what should be acceptable in a country in which the individual should take precedent over the corporation? That is not what we have today. The corporation owns the government and the government serves them, not the people.

It's out of control and while I believe there is much room for compromise, it's evident that something is wrong in this country regarding corporations.

I would agree if you included all special interest groups as well. Lobbying is the problem, for people like the Original Poster to be surprised that groups are taking advantage of loopholes is rather naïve in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

edit on 27-9-2015 by sageturkey because: I should know better than to involve myself in political garbage.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
There is nothing cheap about Australian labour (can't speak for the leprechauns) - that's why the offshore industry is outsourcing to Indonesia and the Philippines even to the point of circumventing powerful unions. It's no surprise we just elected a corporate millionaire as PM.

What about the other nations in mentioned? You think corporations set up in the Caymans for cheap labor? There is a reason countries become known as tax havens.

link   

And this is what happens when you have the worlds biggest corporate welfare system:

the February 24 Good Jobs First report, “Subsidizing the Corporate One Percent,” by Philip Mattera, a respected thought leader in our business. It says that three-quarters of all state economic development subsidies went to just 965 corporations since the beginning of the study in 1976. The Fortune 500 corporations alone accounted for more than 16,000 subsidy awards, worth $63 billion – mostly in the form of tax breaks.

The 965 companies in the report received over $110 billion of public money. Berkshire Hathaway, a company with $485 billion in assets and $20 billion in profits, received over $1 billion of that money. Its chair, Warren Buffett, is worth about $58 billion. Buffett, by the way, is still a darling of the left. He has some nerve to call for higher taxes. The billion dollars his companies took would pay for a lot of teachers, healthcare, and other public goods.

source

link   
Hey lets confiscate the money and pay on the national debt!
17 trillion minus 1.4 trillion leaves 15.6 trillion.....
Hmm. Still not enough.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join