It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Computer Chips Could Be 1,000 Times Faster Than Existing Ones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
So here we have of the latest advancements in computer chips which seems to me like a simple enough idea. On with moores law!

Micron Unveils 3D NAND

www.livescience.com...
ST. LOUIS — A new method of designing and building computer chips could lead to blisteringly quick processing at least 1,000 times faster than the best existing chips are capable of, researchers say.

The new method, which relies on materials called carbon nanotubes, allows scientists to build the chip in three dimensions.
The 3D design enables scientists to interweave memory, which stores data, and the number-crunching processors in the same tiny space, said Max Shulaker, one of the designers of the chip, and a doctoral candidate in electrical engineering at Stanford University in California.
edit on 27-9-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I keep hearing about what carbon nanotubes are you going to allow . I would like to see the devices please. I'm ready for the future all ready, i ain't getting any younger.

V

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

3d nand has been used for SSD for a few years now.

I'm not sure what the article is getting at, but it seems using 3d nand as an l3 cache is a possibility?

Oh I see now they will use a micro modular design instead of separating the memory to a designated separate space. Decreases latency and space with the 3d stacking design. Sounds pretty cool.
edit on 27-9-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Not a computer chip , a 3dimensional nand gate (not+and) . One of the easier ones to convert to 3d. Next and, or, not,xor,nor and xnor.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

I'm not sure what the article is getting at, but it seems using 3d nand as an l3 cache is a possibility?

Oh I see now they will use a micro modular design instead of separating the memory to a designated separate space. Decreases latency and space with the 3d stacking design. Sounds pretty cool.

NAND flash never should be used as a cache because of limited write cycles.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: yosako

Agreed, so I'm left wondering if this is anything other than NAND at all? There's no link to the article, and I question if the writer had the correct technical knowledge to interpret what the technology is.

Interestingly, those samsung's were going well beyond the supposed write cycles, something like 10-20x without issues.
edit on 27-9-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: yosako

They don't need NAN anymore really, Ressistance RAM is going to be the new thing IMO.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
oops here is the link its not nand but similar.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Used as a processor, getting the heat out is going to be a real chore...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

This is just for storage chips.

not processer chips.

however it's pretty awesome and allows for that 16tb drive now.

www.extremetech.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
i mean, thats cool and all

But my 4ghz processor really isn't any noticably faster than my old 386 was back int he day. We get more processor, and programmers ad in more bloatware and adware to consume it.

ETA: actually...my new 4ghz processor takes the same 30 seconds that my old 2ghz did when converting 5000 data records from a txt to a number field. If i didn't know better, i'd say its all a scam.
edit on 9/27/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Another step on the road to the holodeck.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

actually...my new 4ghz processor takes the same 30 seconds that my old 2ghz did when converting 5000 data records from a txt to a number field. If i didn't know better, i'd say its all a scam.

That's also going to relate to your hard drive and RAM capacity as well though, not just the CPU in most cases.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

actually...my new 4ghz processor takes the same 30 seconds that my old 2ghz did when converting 5000 data records from a txt to a number field. If i didn't know better, i'd say its all a scam.

That's also going to relate to your hard drive and RAM capacity as well though, not just the CPU in most cases.

~Tenth

I bought a beast for work. My HD is only 500g, but i have more than 400gb free (i use this machine for work, and to ATS only).

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

When you design a multi-core CPU or GPU, you have to place various levels of L1 and L2 cache memory next to each core (much like you have multiple queues next to security gates at airports). These days, they can get as far as multi-layers of semiconductors to solve layout problems of logic gates. But with this technology at the very least, they would be able to stack the cache memory on top of the cores. That would free up a lot of space. Then if they can multi-stack these, they
could have dozens of cores on top of each other. It wouldn't matter if one or two were damaged by stray particles of dust
during the manufacturing process, since the sheer number of processor cores would vastly outnumber this.

Some desktop GPU's have 3000+ cores. Imagine if that were increased by a magnitude.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
So here we have of the latest advancements in computer chips which seems to me like a simple enough idea. On with moores law!

Micron Unveils 3D NAND

www.livescience.com...
ST. LOUIS — A new method of designing and building computer chips could lead to blisteringly quick processing at least 1,000 times faster than the best existing chips are capable of, researchers say.

The new method, which relies on materials called carbon nanotubes, allows scientists to build the chip in three dimensions.
The 3D design enables scientists to interweave memory, which stores data, and the number-crunching processors in the same tiny space, said Max Shulaker, one of the designers of the chip, and a doctoral candidate in electrical engineering at Stanford University in California.

bs. USA bs....post it more.

edit on 27-9-2015 by xoenneox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The terminator chip is a 3D design... we are well on our way.

If you see the latest robotic labs you will notice that one lab is focusing on facial expressions, the other lab on carrying the torso, the other lab on brain power and so on... It is as if everything is compartmentalized and will be joint to create the perfect human mimicking robot.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara

If you see the latest robotic labs you will notice that one lab is focusing on facial expressions, the other lab on carrying the torso, the other lab on brain power and so on... It is as if everything is compartmentalized and will be joint to create the perfect human mimicking robot.

Robots conceiving robots in their own image. How apropos.

The human being is the perfect robot, you just haven't realized it yet, contrary to the imprint of self awareness. Art imitating simulacrum, simulicrum imitating art. The windings of mortal coil. The closest semblance of projecting immortality, in lieu of it's absence in mortal frame.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: trifecta

The human being is the perfect robot, you just haven't realized it yet, contrary to the imprint of self awareness. Art imitating simulacrum, simulicrum imitating art. The windings of mortal coil. The closest semblance of projecting immortality, in lieu of it's absence in mortal frame.

Eventually we may get to the point where we can design ourselves as well as our environment to a greater extent, we may become like walking dreams or simulations of our own design.

I think that would be a good thing, but in the mean time we are very mortal and frail.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

originally posted by: trifecta

Eventually we may get to the point where we can design ourselves as well as our environment to a greater extent, we may become like walking dreams or simulations of our own design.

I think that would be a good thing, but in the mean time we are very mortal and frail.

That's deliberate. You don't conceive technology you can't control or destroy. We've held that fundemental principle throughout history. Even today, the US government won't create a drone or a program without a failsafe or back door. That's elementary.

So it's not a stretch to believe a human fragility and short shelf life was intentional. Humans are not programed to wrap their minds around the fact that some things, in this universe do not suffer from decrepitude or mortality. Just as a good portion of humanity cannot process a Universe that was never born, or will never die, a Universe that always existed. People can't grasp the concept of non-linear chronometrics. The idea that the future, the present, and past all occur simultaneously.

So if humans realized that they were merely sophisticated automatons, they would malfunction, via mass hysteria. You don't give an automaton self awareness and immortality. Eventually great mythological fables will play out symmetrically to the Greek gods turning on their progenitors akin to Kronos. This is why religious programming villifies acquisition of knowledge, ala Prometheus and the Garden of Edom.

If you look closely, human pursuit of AI is shaping design parallel to human framework. People in the field are trying to program emotive androids, fully capable of telegraphed responses, amicable social graces and bed side manner, and a sense of inclusivity. Self awareness is also on the table for efficiency and abstract processing. No different than human attributes. When religious say "Man was created in the image of God...", they weren't kidding. Bots, creating bots, creating bots. Mortality is a purposefully manufactured failsafe by its architects. Aging and sickness are the backdoors.

You were not meant to make this realization. Your designers have gone out of their ways to disconnect humans from existence outside of the bubble, and all of the perks of a bona fide lifeform. If people look beyond base tendencies of hubris, nihilism, and arrogance, the image comes to focus, and the veil starts to ascend.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join