It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IPhone 6s Battery Anomalies

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I assure you, my seemly vague game playing has served it purpose very well.

Form ruff calculations, according to the measured results given, the new 6s circuity would have to require only 60% of the power of the 6 circuity. With incredible savings like this, It is a big mystery why Apple didn't mention such innovations as a selling point.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: graysquirrel
Many factors can affect battery life tests, and Apple's internal tests are probably different than 3rd party tests such as that of phonearena.com, which they say is a proprietary test.

Apple projected the same battery life with the smaller battery. In effect, this was promoting increased efficiency, since that's the only way you can get the same battery life out of a smaller battery. Apple promoted the A9 chipset as an advancement over the old A8 chipset which could be a contributing factor to the increased efficiency.

If Apple used a different battery life test protcol, their internal results might not be as impressive as the figures you derived from phonearena.com's test. Which test is more accurate could depend on how the phone is used; one could put a greater emphasis on making phone calls and another could put more emphasis in other areas, like making videos or playing games.

Anyway I have never once got the advertised battery life of any product such as phone, laptop, etc, so I don't think the advertised battery life figures get much of a priority. This view is reinforced since the battery life figures are close to last on this Apple spec sheet, only followed by headphones, sensors and connector:

www.apple.com...

They give four different battery times depending on use such as talk time, internet use, video playback, and audio playback, all of which are 10 hours and greater, while the proprietary test of phonearena.com only got 8h15m on the 6s and 5h22m on the 6, so their experience, like mine, is that the advertised battery life isn't accurate. To put it another way, they are stretching the truth less on the newer model. Maybe if they didn't stretch the truth as much on the prior version they could have tried to advertise an improvement.

edit on 2015930 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The point being, They did the exact same test on the 6s as they did in the 6. And if you assume they both have the same type of Li ion battery, The only difference left is the circuity.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks Apple is up to something good.

This achievement definitely comes as a surprise, as Apple actually reported identical numbers of standby, talk time, and video and music playback for the 6s Plus when compared with its predecessor. Obviously, these numbers have failed to capture internal optimizations that the company has carried out, and we'll be reaching out to Apple to try and find out what they are. In the meantime, we can't help but wonder if the iPhone 6s Plus holds any other, as pleasant surprises.

www.phonearena.com...

Are there any ATSers out there with even a remotely similar view?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Now this is a very interesting and related observation.

recently got an iPhone 6s and was playing around on it for a couple of hours but noticed that the battery percentage didn't go down at all. When I plugged it in for the night, it finally showed that instead of being 89%, I was at ~40%. My boyfriend also has an iPhone 6s which was at 4% when he plugged it in at night and was still at 4% when he woke up, but after a restart was at 100%.
Is there a way to fix the battery percentage? I tried turning the "show percentage" toggle off and on in the Settings but it wouldn't even toggle off the percentage icon when I left it for a few minutes. I'd rather not have to restart my phone whenever it's suspiciously high for my usage or when I really need to know how much battery life I have left.

discussions.apple.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: graysquirrel
Now this is a very interesting and related observation.

As in, ios 9 does a bad job of reporting charge?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Or it's purposely reporting charge incorrectly.

If Apple was up to something, this wouldn't be unexpected.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Or it's purposely reporting charge incorrectly.

If Apple was up to something, this wouldn't be unexpected.

We're talking Apple. I'm still finding basic memory leaks in their core APIs. Half the time their alarm clock app doesn't work after an update.

Why keep on with the cattiness? Just say what it is you suspect. You can do it.
edit on 1-10-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
According to a report published by AnandTech, When using the same standard Apple 5w USB charger, The Iphone 6s takes 17% less time to charge than the Iphone 6.

www.anandtech.com...

But, The battery capacity of the 6s is only 5% smaller than that of the 6. Since this is a real measurement done by AnandTech, it means that there is an additional 12% of charge current coming from some place other than the charger!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

*shrug*

Can't find any faults with my 6s ... I will say that the bluetooth on it isn't as good as my 5c. For example, I have a bluetooth adapter in my car that broadcasts over the FM radio. So, I just pair it to my phone, tune my car's radio to the frequency the adapter says, and I'm in business.

The 5c would connect automatically no matter what, after any interruption in the car's power (turn car off and back on). The 6s doesn't do that. It'll do an initial pair, but won't re-connect if there's any interuption (I bump the adapter and turn it of/on again for example).

Small quibble.

That force touch thing is going to have to be copied/ripped off by Android, it's one of those features you think is gimmicky, but then after using it for a while you wonder how you managed without it. Its like having a right click on a touch screen, it makes using the phone more efficient.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
so this is clearly to do with wireless charging then. Are they extracting energy from background/cosmic radiation?
if so this would reduce the battery drain, increase the up time, and reduce the time to charge.

Do you suspect that it's along the lines of the Steorn/Orbo power cube thing that just recently re-appeared?
(facebook page for Orbo for further details on this as it's definitely off this topic)

I think that's where you're going with this - the wireless charging, and yes I think they'd have made more of it if it was such a big thing, however, stating that you're taking extracting energy from the background radiation might make people a bit wary, and start living in faraday cages!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CrastneyJPR

My iPhone 6s has to be charged every day, so if its sucking up free energy from the cosmos, it's not doing a very good job.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
apparently they're very low wattage 0.4 (?) or something, so it would be small beans, but depends how much you use it if you'd notice or not.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrastneyJPR
so this is clearly to do with wireless charging then. Are they extracting energy from background/cosmic radiation?

But, The battery capacity of the 6s is only 5% smaller than that of the 6. Since this is a real measurement done by AnandTech, it means that there is an additional 12% of charge current coming from some place other than the charger!
Or, it means something else has changed, and there's not really 12% more energy coming from the vacuum or wherever. Don't jump to the least probable conclusion before ruling out all the much more probable explanations. Did you happen to notice the graphs at that link show over the power versus time curves are inconsistent between the two phones? The charging power is not constant, and you don't seem to have considered this.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The two different charge current profiles graphs are for the 6s and 6s+ not the 6s and 6.

For the two batteries only 5% difference in capacity, One can assume the current profile would be very similar and thus not the source of the 12% discrepancy.

Also, there is a similar discrepancy between the 6s+ and 6+

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

The two different charge current profiles graphs are for the 6s and 6s+ not the 6s and 6.
True but you're making a lot of unwarranted assumptions lacking the actual data for the comparison you're trying to make, so that's kind of the point, you don't know what the charging rates are for the phones you're trying to compare.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
According to a 9to5Mac article..

9to5mac.com...

The iPhone 6s has a 1715mAh battery in a device measuring 138x67x6.9mm. The Samsung Galaxy S6 is very slightly longer and wider, though a touch thinner, at 143x70x6.8mm. Yet in that tiny bit of extra space it accommodates a 2250mAh battery. I suspect that’s a size hit many would be willing to take for 30% longer battery-life.

The Iphone 6s battery pack is only 6.7% smaller in volume but has a 30% smaller capacity. This means there is something other than the Li ion cell taking up 23% of the volume. This is consistence with the anomalies discussed in this thread.

What could be so important for Apple to sacrifice 23% of the 6s's battery life for?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I just came across this interesting article.

Apple this week posted a new support document addressing an issue some iPhone 6s and 6s Plus users have been experiencing with the battery percentage displayed in the status bar on their displays not updating as the battery drains.

www.macrumors.com...

Funny how only the 6s and 6s+ are effected. The only ones with the battery anomalies discussed in this thread.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: graysquirrel

If you look at some of the comments at the link.

"appears to be related to time zone or clock settings"

That could mean we may get infinite battery life just by manually changing time!

And this one,

"How weird. I wonder why the battery percentage would be tied to the time... Could it be that the battery percentage is recorded and gets stuck if the time gets set back?"

When you time travel to the past you see your younger self. Apple just gave us a hint, what if they can use the same principle to our devices. We're closing to have an infinite source of power to our iDevices. This is what they called time and space continuum it will continually looping in time. Every year Apple will be shaving the battery size and get the same amount of power or gain a little. Obviously they are giving us an infinite power on our iDevices yet. They just trick ordinary people into believing that it was a hardware and software engineering.

It looks like I'm not the only one who sees something suspicious here.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join