It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If "Jesus" Was "sinless" Why Do All 4 Gospels Depict His Baptism By John ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

Original Sin.

Though not yet doctrine at the time, He would have known not only what was, and what had been, but also what would be.

Makes sense that he knew that although sinless he was not without sin.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The original "sin" means to miss the mark.

Everyone falls short, even "Jesus".

He was the 1st and will be the last Adam ( man ).

"His Story" is mans history...

He represent's us all metaphorically speaking.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Water baptism is essentially a symbolic act, an outward sign of an inward condition. The baptism is not anything in and of itself except in the power you yourself assign it.

In this case, Christ already had the spirit of God or the Holy Spirit. He wasn't actually being born again which is what the rest of us signal when we get baptized (i.e. that we have been born again to a new life in Christ with the Holy Spirit). He was merely fulfilling prophecy and signaling to the world the condition that was already internal.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
Best Answer. Wish I was the one giving applause. You did forget one , though.Jesus asked John to baptize him , and as you said , John went , WHAT?? I am going to baptize you in YOUR name ? You have got to be kidding me.It was to show that everyone must be baptized and reborn .

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Simple...the lesson was even He was not perfect, and that we all need to be "born again" and start anew

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Why was 'Jesus" Baptised? This is a thorny question which has plagued all the various Christianities from the beginning and still haunts them to this day.

At this time in rabbinic Judaism there was no such thing as baptism for remission of sin. The only ritual for sin covering was that of the temple. That was through the blood of certain animals. John came baptizing for remission of sin without the blood authority of national Judaism and this is why it drew so much attention from the temple authorities. Jesus took John's baptism as a show of His agreement that the blood sacrifice was not pleasing to God. It was at this period that the Jews were shown that they no longer were judged collectively as a nation (by priestly authority) but that all people were subject to individual accountability and through their own confession.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Milah
What caused him to sin after birth, being human?

Probably. In that case your God dislikes/mistrusts its own creation (YOU the HUMAN); unless you prove to it undying love enslavement (the reason Adam was created).

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Simple...the lesson was even He was not perfect, and that we all need to be "born again" and start anew

Perfection is not achievable HERE; if so this paradigm would not have to exist in the first place; no gains/nothing accomplished.
This is a system based on 'growth potential'; so there has to be a negative involved to push the positive outcome; all that is not profitable disappears is all.
edit on 27-9-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I believe the Bible before I believe the unsaved, Chrsit Jesus knew no sin though he was made sin for the world of sinners.

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (KJV)

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

edit on 28-9-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Jesus was baptized at the very height of John’s preaching when Palestine was aflame with the expectancy of his message — “the kingdom of God is at hand” — when all Jewry was engaged in serious and solemn self-examination. The Jewish sense of racial solidarity was very profound. The Jews not only believed that the sins of the father might afflict his children, but they firmly believed that the sin of one individual might curse the nation. Accordingly, not all who submitted to John’s baptism regarded themselves as being guilty of the specific sins which John denounced. Many devout souls were baptized by John for the good of Israel. They feared lest some sin of ignorance on their part might delay the coming of the Messiah. They felt themselves to belong to a guilty and sin-cursed nation, and they presented themselves for baptism that they might by so doing manifest fruits of race penitence. It is therefore evident that Jesus in no sense received John’s baptism as a rite of repentance or for the remission of sins. In accepting baptism at the hands of John, Jesus was only following the example of many pious Israelites.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Perfection is not achievable HERE; if so this paradigm would not have to exist in the first place; no gains/nothing accomplished.
This is a system based on 'growth potential'; so there has to be a negative involved to push the positive outcome; all that is not profitable disappears is all.

I am made perfect in Christ, Jesus and Paul encouraged people to be perfect, James and Peter talk about our perfection.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
1 Corinthians 2:6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
Hebrews 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
James 1:4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sigismundus
Why was 'Jesus" Baptised?

Haha. Good point. I guess the obvious answer is: Because he was a sinner like the rest of us. Jesus' supposed innocence is in relation to the charges he was judged by, not his supposed sinless nature. Of course. His case was a murder of justice, and thats where his innocence can be pleaded, where it is at least remotely relevant.

The gospel itself describes Jesus ordering robbery, later they disturb the peace and parade through Jerusalem (possibly since Tiberius is dying or dead and Pilate is trying to remember to bring all his crap on his way out) acting like a victorious King of the Jews (a title held by Tiberius) nurturing nationalism and resistance. Jesus and his posse then breaks in to a house and raids it ending up in the tragedy we all know. Jesus poisons his accountant, arms his boys and bails out to hide in the Getsemane..... Jesus was about as innocent as Hunter S. Thompson. Who was of course innocent of everything, just like me. And Jesus.
edit on 2-10-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

www.gotquestions.org...

Jesus was sinless and had no need of repentance.

Hahahaha. Serious? Well let's be pragmatic then, since your whole post is so pragmatic I get hungry and wonder what my wife is wearing. Hope you're not holding any positions where your judgement is needed. For your sense of justice is about as thin as the gold seams on a flee's glove.

==> Was it legal to rob donkeys in Jerusalem in 36 AD?
==> Was it legal to break in to houses and feast on all the food and drink?
==> Was armed resistance particularly accepted by the Romans?

And if secular laws don't apply. How well would you say Jesus aligned himself with the first commandment, the «no other gods but me» part? And how does he cope with the Law in Mark 3:31ff for instance? And his ways with the Sabbath? Jesus wasn't innocent. None of us are. The Torah was designed to be an eternal midrash of that exact realisation. Noone is sinless. Adam sinned, Abraham sinned, Moses even made a point of it and literally broke the law in front of everyone. And so did Jesus and so do you and I. Jesus was a political dissident and a religious rebel. And a cunning meditating one at that. Claiming he was innocent is just stupid, and since you have studied the texts, you are deliberately lying and promoting, hey preaching-- corruption of the Law. He'd laugh your arse off. You say Jesus is innocent just so that you hope he will repay you by being just as corrupt as yourself.
edit on 2-10-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
Jesus and Paul solved the 'human' conundrum problem. They as beings perfected/completed are the ultimate answer. No need for humans to exist anymore. This paradigm should have ended with their deaths. Why are we still here enacting the same problems they experienced (and did not solve or answer). What is this game about?

edit on 3-10-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing
It will be here when that which is perfect comes and that wont be for a while. But I am already perfect in Christ. sin and its influence is still in the world and until it is completely removed (after the millennial Kingdom) it will remain the same.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
It will be here when that which is perfect comes and that wont be for a while. But I am already perfect in Christ. sin and its influence is still in the world and until it is completely removed (after the millennial Kingdom) it will remain the same.

This is good news. Perfection is not an option as if achieved growth ceases to be. There is always something to be learned that is a better conclusion driven by chaos or the negative.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I like many are still learning to that there is no doubt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join