It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think i'm about to be evicted, need advice.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The gist of the situation is that me, my partner and two children moved in with my grandmother who was released from an End of Life facility, been there a month taking care of her because the was no care facility's put in place in time. And unfortunately she has passed away. I applied to the housing association months ago for a "Permission to reside request" but was turned down time and time again due to overcrowding. Now i am afraid we are going to be made homeless because i gave up my other flat and im not on my Grans lease. Is there anything i can do short of contacting the news papers?

Should probably add, my partner has been one of my grans careers and companions for the past 11 years. I dont know what to do im at the end of my tether.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Link above provides addition information as to my circumstance.
edit on 26-9-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I don't have eviction notices but I have MEGA bills I have to deal with now.

Mom and dad passed over the last year or so and the bills that are left are outrageous.

All I can suggest, it is what I ended up doing, is getting a lawyer. Sorry I don't have better advice.

I feel your pain, and will be watching this thread.

ETA: Let this be a lesson to others, make sure ALL your ducks are in a row before it is too late and you are left saying WTF???

edit on 9 26 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Where are you from?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Cheers for the support. Tried the law, lawyer suggested giving up our flat and hoping my gran lasted six month so the right the succession was assured but unfortunately it has not worked out that way. Pretty much knew it would not but end of the day the housing associations procedures simply did not matter because we needed to take care of her, nobody else was there, i done what i had to do and now it seems me and my family are pretty much screwed.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: n00bUK

Glasgow, Scotland.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Similar situation. We moved in with mom and dad to keep our promise of no nursing home for them.

We thought we had all bases covered but didn't read the 'fine print' so to speak.

We are not being evicted but may lose our house anyway to simply pay the bills. Almost like we are being punished for taking care of them.

Oh well, its just money, and I sleep well at night knowing they were as happy as they could be during their last months with us.

No regrets.

My hats off to you for doing what you had to do as well

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
If its a private property then yes you can be kicked out. But you can also refuse to move by changing the locks until you find another home. It isn't illegal, there's a loop hole which allows you to do that if renting. You could even go as far as not paying the rent but I wouldn't recommend that. They have to serve eviction notices and theres loopholes which you can get more information about on the internet.

If its a council property, it is illegal for them to kick you out of the house when you have no other home to go to. They have to give you either shelter or another home, or shelter until you get another home. You will be put on the emergency housing list and should be homed within the month, if you don't turn down their first offer. If you do turn down their offer, you will go to the back of the emergency/priority housing list.

You need to go to citizens advice as soon as possible

Heres a link with some number of the nearest Citizens Advice

Good luck mate

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
You might can try and get some donations at fundly.com. Explain your situation and hope for the best. It has worked miracles for many others and helped people out in similar situations.

Fundly.com

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Awesome advice!

Cheers to you

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

They took me in when i was about 3 weeks old, and were essentially my Mum and Dad, i could have done no less and still retained a shed of dignity. But thats not why i done it, i done it because i loved them and they were there for me my entire life. Lived there for 25-26 years before moving just up the way because there were no property's available in the area. Came home held her hand, dispelled her senile notions and dispensed medication, took her to the toilet, changed her pad, then ultimately watched her die in her own home in peace.

And now it seems i will be handed to the wolves for simply Manning up.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Its a housing association whos list i have been on for years and who are indeed aware of the situation, here is the letters they send.

4 posts up from the bottom of page one.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FearYourMind

Money is not the issue, i can pay for the rent, i just need them to let me resides in the property, and i do indeed meet the criteria, certainly not an overcrowding issue anymore.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
The gist of the situation is that me, my partner and two children moved in with my grandmother who was released from an End of Life facility, been there a month taking care of her because the was no care facility's put in place in time. And unfortunately she has passed away. I applied to the housing association months ago for a "Permission to reside request" but was turned down time and time again due to overcrowding. Now i am afraid we are going to be made homeless because i gave up my other flat and im not on my Grans lease. Is there anything i can do short of contacting the news papers?

Should probably add, my partner has been one of my grans careers and companions for the past 11 years. I dont know what to do im at the end of my tether.

Link above provides addition information as to my circumstance.

Get in touch with your local council and stress the point you have kids.They'll put you at the top of the list for social housing.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Is where youve been living age-restrictive? You can live with an older resident at some locations as a care-giver, whereas if they pass away... you and kids dont qualify to continue living as in a seniors of convalescent type complex.

If its a general complex, there may be an occupancy # of residents in your size apartment that now shes gone, would be excessive and over the legal occupancy. They couldve not been saying anything before, but now...they may be enforcing their certificate of occupany requirement for number of residents in that type apartment.

It happened before.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

"Is where youve been living age-restrictive?"

No, not in anyway. Its a housing association family 4 apt home, exactly what i would be entitled to. And i have been offered 4 apt flats by the same association but turned them down due to having no floorboards, stinking of urine and even having graffiti on the inside walls and cupboards.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Without snarkiness and with all sincerity....

You need legal advice.

And, for both you and your loved ones....

Plan for the worst while hoping for the best.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I am, but worse is some scatter flat in some manky drug addled housing scheme for six months while they attempt to find me another flat of similar caliber to the ones they already offered us previous to us moving in to my grandmothers. Considering the fact that we are living where i originally grew up and and the fact that we meet the means tested criteria for the place we currently reside i just cannot for the life of me understand there unwillingness to allow us to stay where we are.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Just caught up. Sorry to hear about Grandmas passing. Her troubles are over, the people left behind get to deal with the fallout. n00bUK has the best advice, fight fire with fire. The board lied to the facility about your grandmas status in the last thread, as I recall.

Edit: link to renter's rights

edit on 26-9-2015 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
They won't let you stay because there is a huge waiting list.

Housing federation is a private company, so they have the right to evict without offering you shelter.

My only thought is to seek private rent as soon as possible. If you move into a one bedroom flat with your family then you will be out onto the priority hosting list and be homed in a council house very fast. Maybe not in the ideal are but there is nothing you can do about that.

Good luck mate

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Hi Andy,

This all seems so unfair. You did the right thing looking after your family, but I really feel for you right now. You might have been down this road already, but have you phoned Shelter Scotland? They usually give good advice and know what they're talking about.

Good luck x

top topics

<<   2 >>

join