It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Least He Had The Decency To Stop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm a little sick to my stomach right now, having read an account in the National Post today of another fatal encounter between a driver in Toronto and a person on wheels that are not motorized. The following is a link to a diagram and witness description of what happened.

nationalpostcom.files.wordpress.com...

Here is a link to the NP story, which includes a video view of part of the incident:

news.nationalpost.com...

One part of this story is quite annoying to me personally and that is the regurgitation of the "authorized version" of what happened the night Darcy Allen Sheppard was dragged to his death over half a block of the city's main cross town street, shrieking all the way.

But the video snippet may not show the entire interaction between the two men, and as Torontonians have seen before, in such lethal matters, all is not always as clear-cut as it may first appear.

The poster child for just such complications may be the 2009 case of former Ontario attorney-general Michael Bryant’s lethal encounter with cyclist Darcy Sheppard.

After an independent investigation showed that Sheppard had attacked Bryant, who was in his car with his then-wife, and that Sheppard had had six previous altercations with other motorists earlier that day, a special prosecutor from outside Ontario dropped all charges of criminal negligence causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle — against Bryant in 2010.

I'm not going to revisit the police and Crown Attorney's investigation of the Bryant case. People interested can look at my thread, Bizarre Dragging Death in Toronto at the following link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is too early to make a comparison between this case and the Bryant case. In this case the skateboarder, Ralph Bissonnette appears to have been killed at the end of an ongoing altercation of some sort with the cab driver, Adib Ibrahim.

There is one marked difference between the two cases. The cab driver, an Ethiopian immigrant, at least had the decency to stop his car to investigate when the skateboarder went under his wheels, as he is obliged to by law. The former Attorney General of Ontario didn't have that much decency or that much respect for the law.

Ibrahim is charged with 2nd degree murder. Bryant was not even charged with failure to remain.

Once again we are watching how justice is administered in Ontario. I believe the assiduously presented notion that Darcy Sheppard was an obnoxious cycle hooligan, which he was, created a preference in the public for "poetic justice" over statutory justice, and this allowed the political establishment in the Province of Ontario to waltz Liberal Party star, Michael Bryant, past the legal tap dance he was facing, and which Mr. Ibrahim will undoubtedly face.

Was Bissonette a skateboard hooligan, a sort of Darcy Sheppard lite? Was Ibrahim a "hooligan cabbie"? Decisions, decisions, for both the press and for the justice system in Tronna.
edit on 25-9-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Cab driver should have stopped as soon as he was aware of the skateboarder. If he continued knowing the skateboarder was there then....?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Yes.

My understanding is that an ongoing discussion was taking place between skateboarder and cabbie, as they moved forward. There is so much wrong with this picture, already.

My gut reaction, knowing nothing, is that non-motorized wheelers in this town, every day before they get on those wheels and head out into traffic, should take a hammer and gently tap themselves on the skull with it two or three times. In an argument with a motorized vehicle, even when you are right, you are going to lose.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
a reply to: VoidHawk

Yes.

My understanding is that an ongoing discussion was taking place between skateboarder and cabbie, as they moved forward. There is so much wrong with this picture, already.

My gut reaction, knowing nothing, is that non-motorized wheelers in this town, every day before they get on those wheels and head out into traffic, should take a hammer and gently tap themselves on the skull with it two or three times. In an argument with a motorized vehicle, even when you are right, you are going to lose.

Agreed.
Over here (UK) cyclists, and even many motorcyclists have an attitude towards car drivers. The cyclists ride two abreast blocking the rode, if you try to get past they shout abuse, yet they think nothing of riding up the nearside even when we have our indicators flashing that we are going to turn that way!

We have a roundabout over here, its got the nick name Magic Roundabout, and on average 15 cyclists per year are killed on it. They don't have to be, they could easily avoid it, but its that attitude "I have every right so I will"

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
It's hard to say which person here is the bigger idiot.

The idiot who is facing jail time for running a guy over,

or the dead idiot who brought a knife to a gun fight.

Ego is a helluva drug.

top topics

join