It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Types of Morality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Are there two types of morality, one that is feeling and one that is doctrine?

On the one hand, I am talking about morality based on empathy, understanding and experiencing someone on the other side of the situation. Empathy is the ability to understand where someone else is coming from. This understanding can be learned through experiencing what it is like to be the person on the other end of the coin.

Understanding that we are all the same but are brought about by different experiences. Sometimes, living the same experiences as someone else helps build empathy for their situation. Now to the point: good and bad can be learned by experiencing other people's lives - this allows you to know when you make a choice whether it will harm or help another, because you can empathize with the person on the other end and see your actions from their perspective.

This is global awareness and awareness in general - living in a world where everyone has the right to be independent and where the goal is for everyone to reach their full potential.

In this kind of morality, something is wrong when it harms another. Awareness of what harms another is felt through empathizing with the other person, often because of having shared similar experiences. It almost hurts to do an action that would harm someone else if you are aware of their perspective.

(Doing something wrong can also be harming yourself - decide if a personal behavior is right or wrong by determining if it is a healthy one.)

These are morals based upon the principles of independence and healthy living. One is able to sense and know in their heart when they are doing something bad because of this empathy with others and themselves. They don't have to be told this, in fact being told is not the same as knowing.

On the other hand, being told what to do and following it blindly is the second form of morality I wanted to discuss. In this instance, someone with some wisdom and experience writes a document for people with less wisdom and experience to learn from. But some of the followers think that they are being told the rules, not being guided; they don't understand that there is a land outside of the experience of the mentor.

They don't allow people to experience life and get to know in their hearts the natural morals of the world - instead they stay sheltered in their house of rules, feeling safe because it works and they are afraid to leave (try different things) because they think they might mess up, as they are not able to be guided by the natural sense of morality that comes from empathy and knowing other people's perspectives.
edit on 25pmFri, 25 Sep 2015 22:14:07 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
You can pick apart morality into as few as a single, or two, or more types. There is a type that is merely doing what the establishment says. I think that's a base form of morality requiring no autonomous thought.

It seems many well established rules once had wise intent and meaning, but the spirit has been plucked from it, and the common sense has ceased to exist. What can also happen is that the individual may merely perceive this established rule to have little meaning to them, because they do not have direct experience of what happens without it, or the intuition to play it through in their minds correctly.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I have seen many dogmatic political and religious folks fall into your second category. This is one of the many reasons I refuse to have a religion or political party. No one can tell you what is right for you except YOU.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbakeTwo Types of Morality

From a religious Perspective (and a dictionary), 'morality' is judging people/stuff as 'good' or 'bad/evil'!
That, quite simply is insanity!
This is exact manifestation of the stolen Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (Sin of Pride/judgment) in the Garden!
It is called 'sin' because it blinds you to unconditional Love!

As a Xtian (or any other religion), we are warned against 'judging' others;
"Judge not lest you be judged!"
Such judgment (good/evil) is the sin of 'pride'!
'Pride' is the only sin (from which all others spring), yet the hypocrites flaunt their practices, joyfully, proudly, in the face of their god!

You are told that;
"If you judge, judge with righteous judgment!"
Yet goes on to say that;
"None are righteous, no not one!"

Such is the hypocrisy of 'religious morality', a conditional product of schizophrenic vanity, the imagination/ego!

People sometimes mistake 'morality' for 'ethics', born of Love!

Without the insanity of 'judgment', an ethic would be;

"Do NOT do to 'others' what you don't want done to you!"
(EVERYTHING in the Universe (and everyone), is 'others', and 'others' Is Self!)!

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I agree with your reasoning.

Objective morality vs subjective morality.

In objective morality you cannot be harming another (parasitic behavior) and have to follow symbiotic behavior where both benefit for the action.

Subjective morality is behavior that is learned by custom/doctrine that is different than objective morality. Moral relativism is part of the subjective morality that is used by some people to justify their subjective morality by saying there is no right or wrong only different shades of grey.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

From my point of view:

With objective reasoning it does not matter who judges you since it will be the same judgment no matter who judges. Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is from my point of view the subjective blindness thinking it knows objective morality without seeking it believing it knows perfection. Taking out the peg of blindness?

I might not love the insanity some souls create but at least I can love their potential to someday be divine.
Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.
"Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
"For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?

Calculate the objective moral behavior/action?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Are there two types of morality, one that is feeling and one that is doctrine?

On the one hand, I am talking about morality based on empathy, understanding and experiencing someone on the other side of the situation. Empathy is the ability to understand where someone else is coming from. This understanding can be learned through experiencing what it is like to be the person on the other end of the coin.

Understanding that we are all the same but are brought about by different experiences. Sometimes, living the same experiences as someone else helps build empathy for their situation. Now to the point: good and bad can be learned by experiencing other people's lives - this allows you to know when you make a choice whether it will harm or help another, because you can empathize with the person on the other end and see your actions from their perspective.

This is global awareness and awareness in general - living in a world where everyone has the right to be independent and where the goal is for everyone to reach their full potential.

In this kind of morality, something is wrong when it harms another. Awareness of what harms another is felt through empathizing with the other person, often because of having shared similar experiences. It almost hurts to do an action that would harm someone else if you are aware of their perspective."

That part must be a reference to the FACT that Profit Motive is destroying the middle class.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake
While your post is cool and all.

There actually just is one type of morality, but there are many types of interpretations of it, as many as there are peoples, groups, nations, ideologies, interests, and off course lets not forget self interests.

Which for a lot of people and there morality orbits around, that thing called self interest, even to pose a question of morality in any duality ultimately it comes down to is it good for me or bad? A question of good or evil is a question of self interest. In all morality is like a satellite, a moon, orbiting our self interests and picking up things here and there which we bump against or are in our orbit, but only when it pertains to the things we deem would work for us. Which again leads to what?

Morality in this day and age is for the most part looking at the world through a multi colored and tinted stained glass window of our perceptions. But for the most part, in this age, and in others, its just a tool for people to justify there ends and means.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
a reply to: namelesss

From my point of view:

With objective reasoning it does not matter who judges you since it will be the same judgment no matter who judges. Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is from my point of view the subjective blindness thinking it knows objective morality without seeking it believing it knows perfection. Taking out the peg of blindness?

~~~Ok, that sounds like Pride, to me.. Perhaps in different languages we are describing the same thing?.~~~

I might not love the insanity some souls create but at least I can love their potential to someday be divine.
Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.
"Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
"For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?

Calculate the objective moral behavior/action?

To calculate, as you suggest, is vanity, judgment.
Morality is vanity, judgment.
Just Love!
All Virtues come with it!
No vain calculation necessary!

All that objective/subjective... leaves me with the vapors! *__-
That little 'devil' that sits on our shoulders whispering sweet little lies is our own imagination/thoughts!
That is where all the duality (subjective vs objective, true vs false, good vs evil...) exists!

It is insanity to judge others because
1) We have no choice but to be who and what we are!
2) We have insufficient Perspective!

Jesus doesn't want us to 'hate' anything, the only identity of his followers, said he, is their unconditional Love, not their vain judgment and hate!
"There is no place in the heart for hate and Me!" - Jesus
Any verses in conflict with this are either being erroneously translated, or can be safely deleted as complete garbage.
If you don't get the 'message', any atrocity and horror can be condoned by some bible verse or other!
edit on 8-10-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

top topics

join