It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On "White Male Privilege"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: amazing

I was born into poverty, to a single mother (because my father was a drug addict) who is still a waitress to this day. I lived in a 18 foot trailer for the first 5 years of my life. We were on food stamps for quite a while.

I worked my way through high school and the police academy and just now after 31 years on this earth am doing okay.

I guess it's from privilege though right?

No everyone has a unique story and every one has hardships. Broken families, illness, stupid mistakes, crime, addiction, poverty. I applaud your hard work. I too have gotten to where I am through hard work and determination.

All I'm saying is that there is a distinct advantage to being white and male.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

So what percentage is from hard work and what from white privilege?

Well that's the million dollar question. There is no question that you get some benefit in life, right now from being both male and white. It's like if you're attractive, you get an easier life. We don't know what the percentage is but it's there.

Here's a flaw in your logic, CEOs, Congressmen, and positions of power are positions that naturally attract psychopaths because of the power and the fact that it takes moments of having zero empathy in order to be successful in those positions. Given that the psychopath gene is incredibly rare to find in women, naturally more males will gravitate towards those positions.

Oh, i guess there should be equality in how many psychopaths there are between the genders, but there isn't because the gene typically forms with the Y chromosome. So in your fantasy land, those positions need to have their job roles changed in order for more women to be able to acquire them, but when you change the job role, you'll change the function in plays in society.

Feminism - claiming to be based on science while ignoring biology since 1970.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

White Privilege doesn't just mean an institutional advantage although...with the power structure back a few centuries it was institutional. Black people were slaves and women couldn't vote. That was institutional privilege for being a White Male. Now a days, it's more subtle yet, still there.

Just as a side note, white males were slaves and couldn't vote. Universal Male Suffrage was also a battle that had to be won.

You seem to be missing the point on purpose. Let's reign in the history to the last two centuries and reel in our scope to the USA. White Males ruled the country and women could not vote and unless you were in a free state, before the civil war, and you were black, you were a slave. That's Institutionalized White Privilege.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

But if you believe it's all hard work, then you must also think that all minorities and women are lazy. I mean, think out and write out what you really mean if you think all of that is hard work. That only white males work hard enough to get a 4 year degree or get elected to congress or become a CEO? See, there's a flaw in your logic.

Minorities and women hold positions of power. They did it through hard work and finesse, not privilege. There is no flaw in the logic.

There is a flaw in your logic. What accounts for the disparity in numbers? Why are only 4% of CEOs minorities? Why are 80% of congress white and Male? Sure those 4% and those 20% worked hard to get there but why no more. What are you saying? I'm not putting words in your mouth here but I'm asking, are you saying that 96% of minorities are too lazy to become CEOS of fortune 500 companies and if not, what is the reason?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

That's 200 years ago, were you alive 200 years ago? No. Holy wow, my genealogy has been traced back to the 1600's where my ancestors came over to the Caribbean, then to the US as Irish slaves. Where's my reparations and Irish slave history month, and Irish privilege... and

STOP USING HISTORY TO TRY AND JUSTIFY A LOSING ARGUMENT TODAY.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: TOYBEAR
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Nice confederate flag.

Thanks! I think so, too.

My eyes are brown, though. Maybe America has White Blue-eyed Male Privilege instead of just white male privilege? That might explain why I've had to work for everything I have while also subsidizing a bunch of folks who haven't and have never seen this mystical "privilege" personally.

Can't be blue eyed privilege, I got purdy blue eyes, and I can't find my privilege anywhere...

Did you even check your back pockets?

The one place I didn't think to look!!!!

God!!

Thanks man I found it, now I can just coast the rest of my life!!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Evil_Santa

So what percentage is from hard work and what from white privilege?

Well that's the million dollar question. There is no question that you get some benefit in life, right now from being both male and white. It's like if you're attractive, you get an easier life. We don't know what the percentage is but it's there.

Here's a flaw in your logic, CEOs, Congressmen, and positions of power are positions that naturally attract psychopaths because of the power and the fact that it takes moments of having zero empathy in order to be successful in those positions. Given that the psychopath gene is incredibly rare to find in women, naturally more males will gravitate towards those positions.

Oh, i guess there should be equality in how many psychopaths there are between the genders, but there isn't because the gene typically forms with the Y chromosome. So in your fantasy land, those positions need to have their job roles changed in order for more women to be able to acquire them, but when you change the job role, you'll change the function in plays in society.

Feminism - claiming to be based on science while ignoring biology since 1970.

But here's a question. Are all politicians psychopaths? Or are they just , privileged elite who want more power and money? That last question doesn't necessarily suppose they are all psychopaths, it leads to the question of how did they become elitist and rich and powerful enough to be able to run for office.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

That's 200 years ago, were you alive 200 years ago? No. Holy wow, my genealogy has been traced back to the 1600's where my ancestors came over to the Caribbean, then to the US as Irish slaves. Where's my reparations and Irish slave history month, and Irish privilege... and

Stop using history? LOL So are you saying there were more Irish slaves than black slaves before the civil war ended? I wasn't aware of that and you do realize that women couldn't vote until a few decades ago, right?

But anyway, the gist of my argument here and my discussion with you is that during colonial times, white males had a distinct advantage in America, Sure there are some exceptions but that was generally true. Then I'm saying that because of this dynamic, the white male still has some advantage today, though it is diminishing.
edit on 25-9-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

There is a flaw in your logic. What accounts for the disparity in numbers? Why are only 4% of CEOs minorities? Why are 80% of congress white and Male? Sure those 4% and those 20% worked hard to get there but why no more. What are you saying? I'm not putting words in your mouth here but I'm asking, are you saying that 96% of minorities are too lazy to become CEOS of fortune 500 companies and if not, what is the reason?

There are many reasons. One obvious answer regarding women is that they don't want to. Another obvious answer is that there are simply less minorities than there are majorities. The least obvious and likely wrong answer is that a white man is not letting them.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I'm the result of Irish slaves as well, I want my stuff too, because the evil other white men are keeping me down!!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

So all that is true because of white privilege and not hard work?

But if you believe it's all hard work, then you must also think that all minorities and women are lazy.

That would only be the case if we lived in a world devoid of minority and female success stories. We all know that simply isn't true and, for what it's worth, every one of those success stories worked hard. They did not allow fear of failure to create excuses that blame individuals outside of their control... They took personal responsibility.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

There are many reasons. One obvious answer regarding women is that they don't want to. Another obvious answer is that there are simply less minorities than there are majorities. The least obvious and likely wrong answer is that a white man is not letting them.

I can believe that some of the reason is that they are minorities and thus the number will be lower and that some women don't want to be CEOs or Congressmen, but those numbers are entirely too low.

I'm not saying that a white man isn't letting them but CEOS and congress, that's an elite club dominated by white males all the way up. I think it is much harder to get into that club, get that money and get the support you need if you are not a white male.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Ridiculous thread seeing that black people only got real rights 50 years ago. 50 years ago. Real rights. 50 years. Let that sink in for a minute. 50 years in relation to the span of civilizations isn't even a quarter a blink of an eye, yet we have white males on here pretending as if that privilege some how disappeared in that 50 years, through legislation and social programs.

You .. are... out... of... your... mind.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

You're saying that, but your evidence demonstrating the same is simply not there.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

You're saying that, but your evidence demonstrating the same is simply not there.

What about those numbers? 4% of CEOs of fortune 500 companies and 20% of congress. Also statistically, and this is proven, women don't make as much as men, generally.

It can't all be laziness, lack of motivation.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I can believe that some of the reason is that they are minorities and thus the number will be lower and that some women don't want to be CEOs or Congressmen, but those numbers are entirely too low.

I'm not saying that a white man isn't letting them but CEOS and congress, that's an elite club dominated by white males all the way up. I think it is much harder to get into that club, get that money and get the support you need if you are not a white male.

Yes congress is predominantly white, rich, male and old. But I think this represents the demographic, not privilege.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Stop using history? LOL So are you saying there were more Irish slaves than black slaves before the civil war ended? I wasn't aware of that and you do realize that women couldn't vote until a few decades ago, right?

But anyway, the gist of my argument here and my discussion with you is that during colonial times, white males had a distinct advantage in America, Sure there are some exceptions but that was generally true. Then I'm saying that because of this dynamic, the white male still has some advantage today, though it is diminishing.

And i'm stating that you're looking at the world through your own rose colored glasses and trying to claim that white men are privileged while ignoring privileges that all other groups have, which is being unrealistic and causing more harm than good.

Money has privilage, and in the US money has traditionally been held by white men, but today that is radically shifting and in some areas very slanted towards women and PoC.

Women enter and graduate college in higher numbers, women make more coming out of college, women get 60% less time on prison sentences then men do - for the exact same crime. Women are still allowed to be emotional in society without the same repercussions men face, women are granted the ability to pick careers that aren't dangerous, the cost of being a failure for a woman is significantly less than that of being a man. IE: A failed woman is a woman that can't have kids, a failed man is homeless.

Oh but please tell me about all the privilege men have, and then try to correlate that to the fact that the third leading cause of death in the US - suicide - is 80% men. I'll give you $100 if you can show me how that' privileged.

I even had a privileged feminist call up my place of employment and make false harassment claims against me to try and get me fired, because i stated that women have entitlements in society too, and sent her a link to an article. As a man, if i even tried to do that, i'd be sued and possibly locked up for legitimate harassment. Her punishment when my boss called her work and asked her to stop? "Oh she's just having a rough time right now, sorry about the call and we'll talk to her about it." Seriously?! That's not equality, nor is having my job put in jeopardy because some feminist disagrees with me, any kind of privilege.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Yes congress is predominantly white, rich, male and old. But I think this represents the demographic, not privilege.

But why this demographic. It would appear that it is harder to get into congress if you are not white and male.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Also statistically, and this is proven, women don't make as much as men, generally.

Then why don't companies bent on profit hire all women? Because it isn't true. It's illegal to discriminate based on gender. The so-called wage gap doesn't account for personal life choices, such as having children, working longer, working more dangerous jobs, etc.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

And i'm stating that you're looking at the world through your own rose colored glasses and trying to claim that white men are privileged while ignoring privileges that all other groups have, which is being unrealistic and causing more harm than good.

Money has privilage, and in the US money has traditionally been held by white men, but today that is radically shifting and in some areas very slanted towards women and PoC.

Women enter and graduate college in higher numbers, women make more coming out of college, women get 60% less time on prison sentences then men do - for the exact same crime. Women are still allowed to be emotional in society without the same repercussions men face, women are granted the ability to pick careers that aren't dangerous, the cost of being a failure for a woman is significantly less than that of being a man. IE: A failed woman is a woman that can't have kids, a failed man is homeless.

Oh but please tell me about all the privilege men have, and then try to correlate that to the fact that the third leading cause of death in the US - suicide - is 80% men. I'll give you $100 if you can show me how that' privileged.

I even had a privileged feminist call up my place of employment and make false harassment claims against me to try and get me fired, because i stated that women have entitlements in society too, and sent her a link to an article. As a man, if i even tried to do that, i'd be sued and possibly locked up for legitimate harassment. Her punishment when my boss called her work and asked her to stop? "Oh she's just having a rough time right now, sorry about the call and we'll talk to her about it." Seriously?! That's not equality, nor is having my job put in jeopardy because some feminist disagrees with me, any kind of privilege.

You are right in that women are closing the gap, but women still make less then men, have less positions of power, hold less elected positions, hold less military leadership roles and have much less wealth. It's just true.

You seem to be repeating some Men's Rights Group issues, like the whiny, victim mentality of "A Voice for Men" and some of the others. You have an advantage, use it. Get ahead in life. I did.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join