It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On "White Male Privilege"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yes, assholes are everywhere. But I doubt you would have received the same treatment if you had been arrested or the situation allowed to continue:

U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that for the year 2005, the most recent data available, "[p]olice actions taken during a traffic stop were not uniform across racial and ethnic categories." "Black drivers (4.5%) were twice as likely as White drivers (2.1%) to be arrested during a traffic stop, while Hispanic drivers (65%) were more likely than White (56.2%) or Black (55.8%) drivers to receive a ticket. In addition, Whites (9.7%) were more likely than Hispanics (5.9%) to receive a written warning, while Whites (18.6%) were more likely than Blacks (13.7%) to be verbally warned by police." When it came to searching minority motorists after a traffic stop, "Black (9.5%) and Hispanic (8.8%) motorists stopped by police were searched at higher rates than Whites (3.6%)." The "likelihood of experiencing a search did not change for Whites, Blacks, or Hispanics from 2002 to 2005."21

A 2005 study analyzing data gathered statewide in Texas reveals disproportionate traffic stops and searches of African Americans and Hispanics, even though law enforcement authorities were more likely to find contraband on Whites.27

civilrights.org

We've ALL encountered a police officer, teacher, boss or authority figure that is an ass -- but the numbers speak for themselves. Simply because one has had a bad personal experience themselves does not invalidate that profiling exists, and that preconceived racial bias influences the behaviors of those in authority.
edit on 25-9-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: amazing

White Males have an advantage in the USA. That's a given. The only white males that don't think that way are either
[insert list of conjectures]

Would you mind naming a few institutional advantages to being white?

If you are white....

You are less likely to be arrested.
You are more likely to get into a four year college
You have a better chance of becoming a CEO
You have a much better chance of becoming an Elected Official
You have an advantage in finding a high paying job.

Only 4% of Fortune 500 companies have CEOS that are Minorities.
Minorities make up almost 60% of the prison population
71% of 4 year college Degrees go to white people
This Congress right now, is 80% Male and 80% White

I realize that you could take this information and say that minorities are criminals, lazy, unmotivated and don't want to be CEOs or in Congress or get a 4 year degree, or they aren't smart enough, but I we both know that's not the case. White males must have a distinct advantage to gain these types of numbers.

How, AGain, it goes back to the power structure of colonial days when we know, that white Males ruled most of the world, England ruled most of the world, remember the saying that the " Sun never sets on the Union Jack" And we know that white males ruled england.

Even in the US our founding fathers were all white males.

That kind of control takes a long time to change and after a couple of centuries it's starting to...slowly.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TOYBEAR

I did describe it to you.
You asked to show you - so I did.
What did you see?

It looks like a pre-civil rights image of a family with rocks thrown through their windows, which, I bet is the result of racism. I do not see any privilege there. I see hate.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I'm only half-white. So no I only get half these privileges.

Nonetheless, these are not institutional privileges. And there is no control for other factors such as motivation, location, wealth, etc.

For instance, give me something like a white male version of affirmative action.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I'm only half-white. So no I only get half these privileges.

Nonetheless, these are not institutional privileges. And there is no control for other factors such as motivation, location, wealth, etc.

For instance, give me something like a white male version of affirmative action.

But something doesn't have to be institutional to be an advantage. I think that's where we are having a disagreement?

White Privilege doesn't just mean an institutional advantage although...with the power structure back a few centuries it was institutional. Black people were slaves and women couldn't vote. That was institutional privilege for being a White Male. Now a days, it's more subtle yet, still there.
edit on 25-9-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

So all that is true because of white privilege and not hard work?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

We've ALL encountered a police officer, teacher, boss or authority figure that is an ass -- but the numbers speak for themselves. Simply because one has had a bad personal experience themselves does not invalidate that profiling exists, and that preconceived racial bias influences the behaviors of those in authority.

This is an interesting point.

Why would someone profile another human being? For instance, why would a police officer profile a black person over, say, an Asian or white? Because they're racist? Because of privilege? Or is it because of statistics?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

So all that is true because of white privilege and not hard work?

But if you believe it's all hard work, then you must also think that all minorities and women are lazy. I mean, think out and write out what you really mean if you think all of that is hard work. That only white males work hard enough to get a 4 year degree or get elected to congress or become a CEO? See, there's a flaw in your logic.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TOYBEAR

Got it... You have sqaut... Except talking points.

It astonishes me people like you can't see why folks get mad when you dismiss the hard work and years of effort folks put into being successful.... Because they were born white.

It took me 25 years of hard work to land a good paying job that let me provide everything I wanted to my family.

If I have white privilege, somebody was being lazy getting me my instant win button.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

So what percentage is from hard work and what from white privilege?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

So what percentage is from hard work and what from white privilege?

Well that's the million dollar question. There is no question that you get some benefit in life, right now from being both male and white. It's like if you're attractive, you get an easier life. We don't know what the percentage is but it's there.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

White Privilege doesn't just mean an institutional advantage although...with the power structure back a few centuries it was institutional. Black people were slaves and women couldn't vote. That was institutional privilege for being a White Male. Now a days, it's more subtle yet, still there.

Just as a side note, white males were slaves and couldn't vote. Universal Male Suffrage was also a battle that had to be won.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

But if you believe it's all hard work, then you must also think that all minorities and women are lazy. I mean, think out and write out what you really mean if you think all of that is hard work. That only white males work hard enough to get a 4 year degree or get elected to congress or become a CEO? See, there's a flaw in your logic.

Minorities and women hold positions of power. They did it through hard work and finesse, not privilege. There is no flaw in the logic.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: johnwick

And the reason we don't have that is because we were not systematically put down for over a century and not even a century away from when he finally decided that maybe we should stop doing that.

I some what agree that some of the AA(affirmative action) needs to be toned down, because it would seem on the face of things the more boxes you check the more you can get.

Not for getting rid of it completely though as we still have the mindset in people that some are just inherently better then others.
Also think there is more scholarships and what not that are open to all then the ones that a white person could not qualify for whatever reason.

And you would bring up D3, all my files got deleted and I don't want to start over

Speak for yourself, I'm Irish descended.

My forefathers were treated much worse for way longer than the blacks.

I don't get any special treatment.

Why should they?

Oh I get it, I'm white, so that makes up for hundreds of years of brutality at the hands of the English, and then my ancestors being basically throw away farm equipment, that were worth a fraction of what a black slave brought in.

But Ya, my ancestors had it great in comparison

If I lost my D3 files..... I don't think I would play it anymore, just too much time invested.

Sorry to hear that, that blows bad

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I was born into poverty, to a single mother (because my father was a drug addict) who is still a waitress to this day. I lived in a 18 foot trailer for the first 5 years of my life. We were on food stamps for quite a while.

I worked my way through high school and the police academy and just now after 31 years on this earth am doing okay.

I guess it's from privilege though right?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Welll could someone post a link to where i can download my white privlage or tell me where to sign up??? causee im 27 and for the life of me i cant find work in my area and its getting pretty hard to support me and my mother on the $150/month i get in food stamps. im a hard worker and have a good work ethic. i dont commit any crimes or drive like an idiot so ive never had a run in with any law enforcement. but i sure would like to claim my "privlage" as soon as possible do you think they do like a thing where i could get more privlage since i havent had it for my entire life? lol my point being is i dont think white male privlage is even a thing in this day and age maybe 50 years ago but its 2015 now (at least i think it is),or maybe i turned in th wrong form because my life sure as hell has not been made easier becaue of my color or gender. if someone ever tells me to "check my privlage" ill check the velocity and impact of my foot square to their teeth.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: TOYBEAR

Nice confederate flag.

Thanks! I think so, too.

My eyes are brown, though. Maybe America has White Blue-eyed Male Privilege instead of just white male privilege? That might explain why I've had to work for everything I have while also subsidizing a bunch of folks who haven't and have never seen this mystical "privilege" personally.

Can't be blue eyed privilege, I got purdy blue eyes, and I can't find my privilege anywhere...

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Nice confederate flag.

Thanks! I think so, too.

My eyes are brown, though. Maybe America has White Blue-eyed Male Privilege instead of just white male privilege? That might explain why I've had to work for everything I have while also subsidizing a bunch of folks who haven't and have never seen this mystical "privilege" personally.

Can't be blue eyed privilege, I got purdy blue eyes, and I can't find my privilege anywhere...

Did you even check your back pockets?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

it is not so much as an advantage but a disadvantage for the rest. the result is the same. if you can't see it, then you either white or privileged. it's that simple.

Lol why?

Because you say so?

Lol

Nice debate tactic, circular logic always works best for the person using it.

By denying your assertion, we prove it....... Brilliant

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

a reply to: SaturnFX

The white privilege is strong with you. hahaha
Honestly it just seems like you're playing devils advocate.
If that's the case - BRAVO SIR...If however you believe the
garbage you just took the time to write than there is nothing
that can be done for you.

-Toy the Bear

They provided a well rounded argument, with facts and information that countered the other poster's claims. You come in and basically say "You're delusional" but without posting any supporting evidence.

You say that there's nothing to be done for them, but there's nothing to be done for you. You're so set in your beliefs that you won't listen to another person's opinion and actively work to silence them.

This is why i no longer associate with PC people, because it's gotten to the point of having a "with us or against us" mentality, which solves no problems, just creates more.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join