It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wall Will Fail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
There is an overlooked fact that is the back bone of our immigration stats. So often it is never spoke of. Actually it is never spoke of at all. Many love to dance around the issue and blame this or that.

? If you could migrate for work and send home an amount of money that is ten times greater than any you could earn now then would you do that?

What I speak of is the currency exchange rate between Mexico and America.

Every dollar earned in America is worth ten times that in Mexico.

Givin that fact I believe that no amount of enforcement will kill the desire to take advantage of this.

Therefore the wall will fail.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
For a country built on immigration, there sure is a hell of a lot of hypocrisy being spouted from those at the top.

Economic migrants have been coming to the U.S for a couple of centuries, only now instead of having a bedrock manufacturing industry, people are living off the service industries.

Same here in the U.K, only different, so I've been told by some man in the corner of the room and some of my fellow countrymen who are members here.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If the support crumbles and the pressure grows, the wall will fail.
It's nature, and nature allways wins.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Ah, but if too many come (whether right or wrong) they WILL kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Then what? Will they then move on to the next prosperous country and leave the original population with the crap? Or will we all have to join the bandwagon and move with them?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

The big difference though was the we didn't have a massive welfare state. You cannot have both a welfare state and unchecked immigration at the same time.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
My view is that as long as the real issue is ignored then we will never make any advances.

They are not coming for the work but for the currency exchange rate.

Motivation of Americans often comes into question.

Americans are lazy is what is said but the truth is that if our minimum wage was 70$ an hour then everyone would be motivated to work.

To a Mexican that is what they make if you factor in the exchange rate.

I would do many things if I my family could get that type of buying power.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Of course the wall will fail, it's a simple solution that doesn't take into account the nuances of the perceived problem (because thinking is hard). Whenever legislators try to take the easy way out with feel good legislation like this, the results ALWAYS fail. See the War on Drugs, Prohibition, War on Poverty, War on Terror, etc.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I can't believe that we are actually talking about building walls and gathering people up in trains.

Reminds me of a country back in the late 1930's.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

if not for the currency rates then it would not fail

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

If it wasn't for the currency rates, we may not even be having an immigration issue of Mexicans anyways.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
bingo
that is what is always ignored
we bicker back and forth without ever addressing the real issue
tptb know this and do not want it spoke of

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
NO matter how high or deep the wall is, you still have to watch the wall. Otherwise, it just takes a bigger ladder or deeper tunnel.
So we should skip the wall and just watch the border. Drones & robots with ground penetrating radar & heat sensing. Maybe even a couple of satellites. We can actually watch both sides of the border, miles in. No guns on the robots, send agents to intercept breaches or tunnel building activity upon alerts from the bots. The more AI built into the bots, the less false positives & better success with real breaches.

This will constantly improve as tech advances, so it has the longevity we need for a long term solution. There's no need for a wall. This will reveal other weak points, and I don't think we will ever have a year of zero illegal immigration.

I don't know what it costs to deport someone, probably $10k knowing how "frugal" our govt is. It may be amnesty, but it's still our money spent sending them back and I don't think any label makes it worth the cost.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The wall with intrusion detection, electrification, machine gun nests, and land mines will slow them down. When coupled with mandatory e-verify for all current and prospective employees will have a dramatic effect on minimizing illegals from staying.

New actions that will help will be:
A 25% tax on all funds (Western Union) sent to Mexico and Central America via non-identified recipients.
The forfeiture of all real estate, cars, and cash to the federal and state governments for caught and deported illegals
New law restating that all elections candidates must be a US Citizen for any local, county, state, or federal job.
Illegals who vote or those assisting them to vote are mandatory 5 year sentences.
If deported and you return, you are imprisoned and with mandatory penalty applied within one year.

This is a good start for President Trump.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chuckk

lol
nobody wants to live like that
trump will never ever build a wall
it is just more promises to the confused masses
the country would be torn from limb to limb before a wall could ever be built
however a realistic goal is to deal with what I laid out in the op
yes some of the border may end up getting new walls but now even trump has backed off his sea to sea remarks and now claims just partial wall is needed

new topics

top topics

join