It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Universities to Cut Humanities and Social Sciences

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

If I want a degree in Mechanical Engineering there are certain classes that I have to take. I have no problem with that. As I stated earlier some required classes had absolutely nothing to do with my major. I wouldn't expect an English Literature major to be required to take Calculus so why should I have to take Romance Literature?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

If I want a degree in Mechanical Engineering there are certain classes that I have to take. I have no problem with that. As I stated earlier some required classes had absolutely nothing to do with my major. I wouldn't expect an English Literature major to be required to take Calculus so why should I have to take Romance Literature?

Because you need to develop reading comprehension and you become a better writer by being exposed to good works of writing.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Fine. So make that English Literature major take Calculus. They need to know math, but, it doesn't work that way.
I had to take English !, English II and Technical Writing. I had A's in all three. I'm pretty sure that covered my writing education.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Fine. So make that English Literature major take Calculus. They need to know math, but, it doesn't work that way.
I had to take English !, English II and Technical Writing. I had A's in all three. I'm pretty sure that covered my writing education.

If they had to take more math, society would be a little more intelligent. The problem comes in funding and time. My opinion is that 4 year degrees are inadequate as it is but if you make a degree take 6 years instead of 4 you increase the cost and the opportunity cost by 50% which ultimately denies an education to some due to finances and deters others from getting one.

The push instead has been to cut classes people need to take and pare degrees down to only the most vital subjects with the ultimate goal being to reduce college costs by reducing the credits needed, which is where Japan is coming from here. In doing so however you end up with less intelligent graduates.

Do you think university should teach a person how to think, solve problems, and expand their knowledge base or only how to fill a certain employment demand?
edit on 29-9-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Japan I love you!! Don't do this!!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The problem is that they are NOT teaching their students how to think, solve problems or expanding their knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that my REASON for going to college, was to allow me to fill a certain employment demand. That's what I was PAYING for.

One of the biggest complaints about our higher education system is that the people who are graduating from it, find that they can't get JOBS in their chosen field.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

The problem is that they are NOT teaching their students how to think, solve problems or expanding their knowledge.

Really? Then why do our graduates end up more innovative on average than those from other countries, particularly Asian countries?

Getting just the requirements for your job isn't an education, it's job training.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join