It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Boehner Announces Resignation

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm sure it was NOT in the GOP's best interest.
That's why I'm proud of him.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I feel like you are basing this opinion off of anecdotes and not actual data.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

What data? You are making assumptions based on your perceptions of a fake public persona....like the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Retirement is a universal, mundane thing not as often associated with power as it is maybe simply productivity or responsibility.

But in the context of this thread, we're talking of politicians which are almost always associated with power. In fact, very often, politicians cede one powerful position only to seek another. Like Governors or Senators seeking the Presidency.

Aside from George Washington, not many examples of U.S. politicians in their prime just walking away altogether from powerful positions. Some sure, but one could argue just how actually powerful they were or not. The Speaker of the House is very powerful.

But I know you love to argue so...I'll wait for it.

I still believe that he is really leaving because of personal issues. However, those reasons are rarely admitted to, if they can be avoided.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Being as how I'm from Kentucky, the local news was covering some comments from McConnell. They're all so saddened by the resignation. My only sentiment is good riddance along with a request to take Mcconell along as well.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

Since you decided to butt into the middle of our conversation without reading what we were talking about, I'll explain. Kosmicjack and I were discussing politicians that willingly cede over power in their prime. So I said Kosmicjack's explanation that politicians rarely cede power willingly appeared to be based off of anecdote and not data. There IS data out there to answer that question. Though thanks for trying.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
Being as how I'm from Kentucky, the local news was covering some comments from McConnell. They're all so saddened by the resignation. My only sentiment is good riddance along with a request to take Mcconell along as well.

Imagine if McConnel resigned, as well.
Perhaps conservatives are finally finding their testicles.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
As a staunch Conservative-libertarian, allow me to say...

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: IAMTAT

The Republican war on women's health has gone from trench-warfare to full scale nuclear attack it seems.

I think he waited to for the pope moment yesterday as he is a catholic and now has bowed out.

Oh really the 'republican's war on women'.

I expected better than people buying in to that crap.

Now if you think PP that was started by a racist needs to be funded with federal taxes should not be doesn't mean there is a 'war on women'.

Just because a republican thinks women should pay for their own birth control doesn't mean there is a 'war on women'.

And Just because a republican thinks a fetus deserve the same right to life as we ALL have had doesn't mean there is a 'war on women'.

'War on women' is about an asinine political talking point there is next to 'gun violence' and 'climate change'.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

So rather than jump and cheer because you might hate Republicans... what do you suppose this REALLY means?

Why bow out right after the Pope shows up? Why bow out at all? Pressure? ...maybe. Is it something more important that we could be missing and aren't being told? ...also, maybe.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Whenever I see someone resign unexpectedly I automatically think, 'scandal'.

Not saying this is the case one way or the other but it has happened far too many times in the past.

Same here. It's kind of like cutting off an infected body part before the infection can spread.

There will be more behind the curtain than we will ever know. That I am certain of.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The reason(s) could be:

a). tired of being zookeeper
b). his favorite bronzer filed chapter 9
c). spiritual reawakening from the Pope
d). cirrhosis of the liver
e). another extramarital affair
f). or all of the above

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: NihilistSantaI said Kosmicjack's explanation that politicians rarely cede power willingly appeared to be based off of anecdote and not data. There IS data out there to answer that question.

Why would anyone take the time to go dig for data to support a non-controversial, common sensical general observation on a discussion board? LOL! What's more, why would anyone demand it?

edit on 9/25/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

Why bow out right after the Pope shows up? Why bow out at all? Pressure? ...maybe. Is it something more important that we could be missing and aren't being told? ...also, maybe.

Like, having to own your conscience, you mean? A crisis of faith on both a religious and political level? maybe.

(post by Willtell removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Perhaps conservatives are finally finding their testicles.

Would be nice, but I doubt it.

Boehner barely squeaked by on the last threat to shut down the government.

Either he doesn't want to go through that again, or his party wants to replace him.

That replacement is my major concern.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
dp
edit on 25-9-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Presser at 1:00 p.m.EST supposedly.
edit on 9/25/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
To me, it's like he just sat there listening to the Pope (and perhaps thinking about his own confessions, whether uttered aloud or not), and looked back at his 'class',

and said, "You know what? Fine. Do whatever. I'm done."

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

ET or CT? Oh, it is? I thought it was cancelled altogether ..... and now he changed his mind...... T

edit on 9/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

Wait now xuen said it's happening, too.....

color me confused......
edit on 9/25/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join