It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizens Make Cop Holster Gun During Arrest

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I will pretend its not propaganda, if you pretend its not police brutality.

Then we can have conversation.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Pretend conversations are never really benifitial except perhaps in the bedroom behind closed doors.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I agree, but in context of the post, neither side can make significant grounds in convincing the other party.

My voice as of late has been to suggest that there is a well intentioned group that is misapplying their civic duties as a citizen. And camera phones are doing a great job at promoting an agenda.

And there is an agenda, although it is obvious they havent thought out their end game too well.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
a reply to: TechniXcality

I agree, but in context of the post, neither side can make significant grounds in convincing the other party.

My voice as of late has been to suggest that there is a well intentioned group that is misapplying their civic duties as a citizen. And camera phones are doing a great job at promoting an agenda.

And there is an agenda, although it is obvious they havent thought out their end game too well.

There has long been an agenda by law enforcement to cover up brutality.

The pendulum swings both ways.

American government keeps statistics on everything imaginable... Except police brutality stats.....
I wonder why that is.....

Because they can tell you how often any animal in North America takes a dump, but not how often someone shows up at the police station mysteriously beaten half to death..... Ya sure....

The police are as bad as and mob or street gang, but they can get away with it.... Why is that?

Because the mob actually has rules of conduct, the police obviously have none most of the time.

And video is proving that daily.

Hence a cop brandishing his firearm in the face of an unarmed woman...... If there weren't video she would most likely be dead, just like the hundreds that die every year in similar situations.

Because some pussy wannabe badass cop, can't handle an unarmed civie.... Even though they have a taser mace a baton and truckloads of backup just moments away.....

No no, straight to killing folks right off the jump, because this pussy chose this line of work, then craps his pants in fear at the sight of an unarmed woman my 15 year old son could handle by himself without mace a baton a taser or backup.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

If that were a citizen, he would be charged with a felony.

Well the person resisting arrest and assaulting the officer could very well be charged with a felony. If it were civilian verse civilian you might have an argument considering it would be viewed as a citizens arrest for a misdemeanor they didn't witness, in which case you could run into assault charges and possibly felonious restraint (or their states equivalent).

The cop deserves to be charged with brandishing a firearm in public, without clear cause.

The officer was present investigating a crime and as such had a lawful reason to make contact. When she threw rubbing alcohol in his face and actively resisted she is the one who created the situation that justified him pulling his duty weapon.

He endangered every person present when he unholstered his weapon.

Actually the suspect who resisted / assaulted the officer created the danger and the people on the bus who started yelling at him acted to further justify his actions.

His safety is not more important than everyone else's.

I would agree with this to an extent however the suspect was the catalyst not the officer.

He should be up on felony charges right now, just like anyone else would.

He didn't break the law so I don't grant the premise.

Keep you blue shield crap.

Its called being educated on the topic and understanding the relevant laws that are in play. Its your choice to educate yourself or remain ignorant. If you think the officer is in the wrong then may I suggest you educate yourself so you can actually make a valid and factual argument.

This is the reason police fear for their lives.

Being assaulted by a suspect while having a large group of people yelling also play a factor.

They deserve it by acting like jackbooted thugs constantly.

Your opinion based on your not understanding the laws. Secondly it takes 2 to tango. I can only imagine how things would have went had the suspect complied instead of assaulting the officer.

In the 50s no officer would have drawn his weapon.

LOL ok... research the stats from the 50's 60's and 70's. You will be surprised on what those stats show.

Today that is the go to tactic.

Not really.

You do know 10 people get killed by the police, for every cop that gets injured in the job right?

What were those people doing when they were killed?

You know most police injuries are accidents too right?

Except when the officer is being assaulted.

In other words, police are brutalizing citizens, because they are scared for their safety.

And some people have such a disdain for social norms that they think they are entitled to just steal what they want and then scream brutality when they actively resist a lawful arrest detention or stop.

Find other employment if you are a pussy crybaby.

You are the one crying not me. You could easily end that crying though b y taking the time to learn.

Soldiers in actual warzones go to prison over less.

Soldiers operate under a completely different set of rules / laws than what law enforcement does. Again you are demonstrating a lack of understanding on this topic. I urge you to research first and comment second.

This entire incident never would have occurred had the civilian not broken the law by stealing stuff.
This entire incident never would have occurred had the civilian complied with the lawful commands the officer gave.
This entire incident never would have occurred had the civilian not assaulted the officer.

I find it sad people ignore the cause, which in this case was the law violations by the suspect, and blame the police. Where does personal accountability fall into your mindset?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
First off... Giving in to peer pressure is what causes all of the cops to go rogue in the first place and that's exactly what happened here. Sometimes they don't need their gun out for the perp so much as trying to be sure his back is covered as well.

Do we have a problem with police brutality? Absolutely without a doubt we do.

So I'm torn. While I am happy that he didn't use lethal force, I am a bit worried that a few people shouting for him to put the gun down was good enough for him.

It's a double edged sword for sure. It's a damn tricky time to be a cop. All in all, I am glad as always that nobody was hurt or killed here. It would be nice if that never happened again.

Oh c'mon... Peer pressure? This is what society should be like. The number of GOOD decent people far outweigh the number of "bad" ones out there, it's just that MOST people are afraid to speak up.

This crowd wasn't, and that's how it's supposed to be. The majority of us know a wrong when we see it, but most rather stay out of it, which is wrong in itself, since it's THAT behaviour which has led to our reliance on the police, while it should be so that the police have a supervising role in society, with all members contributing to the wellbeing of everyone else, like happened here.

Allowing police to rule and dominate is just as appalling as allowing mob "justice" in my opinion, we live in a democratic society and that should be reflected on ALL levels, not just politics.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
"If he was a citizen he would be getting charged."

Lulz.

Why is this the go-to argument? Yes, you're right, if a random citizen started fighting another citizen on a bus to effect a citizen's arrest over a crime that they didn't witness, they sure would catch a charge or ten! Wow, fantastic argument!

Law enforcement has a job to do that civilians don't. The argument is, at least in this instance, rooted in fallacy. Blue privilege doesn't apply here.

And for what it's worth, an officer in a physical altercation with an unknown number of unknown subjects yelling at him from a few feet away is probably not going to get slammed too hard for drawing his weapon. Should he have? Debatable. But I don't think he's going to catch a lot of heat over it. If there had been even one more officer present and they both drew their weapons, that's a different story. But one guy in an altercation with a bunch of people behind him? Probably not.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Huh? I never said this was police brutality.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The thing that gets me is when officers find themselves in situations will go for the gun first instead of the other tools hanging from the "Batman" belt they have. Sure, people don't want to face a gun but neither do they want to be maced followed by a good thump on the noggin' with a baton. Just going straight for the gun is my problem with the situation.

I am with JohnWick on this one. Dude should have never unholstered his weapon on that moving bus hauling a "crowd" of people just trying to get where they are going. Life and limb immediately were in danger as soon as he did for everyone inside and arguably outside the bus too.

A badge and a baton should have easily been enough to arrest that woman and hold off the "crowd" if need be until the calvary comes if needed.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

The police should pay more attention to situations like this during the training on the academy. In the country I live policeofficers are manditory to write a report as soon as they unholster their weapon.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'm glad that the cop listened to reason and the mob kept a cool head. Somebody should probably slap that woman like in the Airplane movies tho...

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

The Officer used the following levels of use of force continuum / subject resistance control according to the reports:

Officer Presence - He was in uniform
Verbal commands - He gave lawful commands that the suspect ignored
Open hand control - He attempted to direct the suspect when verbal commands failed
Intermediate weapons - He actively went hands on / used his baton
Deadly Force - He drew his duty weapon when the previous lower attempts to gain control failed.

Based on her actions she would be classified as active / aggressive which would be at the top of the resistance control list for the suspect.

Secondly deadly force does not require a gun. Deadly force is categorized as

A force with a high probability of causing death or serious bodily injury. Serious bodily injury includes unconsciousness, protracted or obvious physical disfigurement, or protracted loss of or impairment to the function of a bodily member, organ, or the mental faculty. A firearm is the most widely recognized lethal or deadly force weapon, however, an automobile or weapon of opportunity could also be defined as a deadly force utility.

I added the bold and underline to drive the point home in terms of the suspects actions towards the officer, specifically throwing rubbing alcohol in the officers face. That action can lead to loss / impairment of an organ (eyes). Also we know it was rubbing alcohol because of the 20/20 hindsight reports however at the time it was not known what it was.

a reply to: zatara
It will depend on agency / the laws. Some departments don't require it while others require it if you point the weapon at a person.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
The thing that gets me is when officers find themselves in situations will go for the gun first instead of the other tools hanging from the "Batman" belt they have. Sure, people don't want to face a gun but neither do they want to be maced followed by a good thump on the noggin' with a baton. Just going straight for the gun is my problem with the situation.

I am with JohnWick on this one. Dude should have never unholstered his weapon on that moving bus hauling a "crowd" of people just trying to get where they are going. Life and limb immediately were in danger as soon as he did for everyone inside and arguably outside the bus too.

A badge and a baton should have easily been enough to arrest that woman and hold off the "crowd" if need be until the calvary comes if needed.

The taser gun most police have is nearly impossible to use in close quarters, if he had missed the barbs could have reflected back and stuck the officer, if he had not missed she may have collapsed and hurt her self on railing. The baton or ASP may officers have are not for restraining and are meant to disable, the ASP is meant to break bones. In the close quarters under attack his firearm was the most logical choice. Added to the fact he had rubbing alcohol in his face it likely impaired his vision to an extent forcing him to fear that she may have had someone else trying to help her.

Ohh yeah and if you don't respect the LEO, FF, and EMT I would not expect them to respect you either, just food for thought. I mean come on, when you are in trouble do you call a neighbor or do you call 911??? (By you I do not mean You specifically Terminal)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Did you base that on that she's a black woman and all black people
think any confrontation is police brutality?
I can't see how else you would come to that conclusion.
I'm sure you think you're being labeled inappropriately.

-Toy the Bear

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
The cop was afraid of vitriolage. No wonder he drew his gun.
Always more to the story.
Here's a link to what it looks like for all of our education: www.zoriah.net...
edit on 9262015 by Jenkinswasher because: (no reason given)

edit on 9262015 by Jenkinswasher because: Corrected typos

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
I just want to leave this here: Don't always fall for the social media propaganda. Alot of these police brutality videos we see on social media tend to not show or explain the full story of what really happened, and automatically imply that the cop is the antagonist.

Makes you wonder if someone is trying to stir things. I know many cops are most likely clueless as to what is going on, but it is interesting because you do see a lot of police brutality videos on mainstream. usually if its on the news, there is an agenda behind it.

I like how the crowd handled the situation there. They remained neutral for both side's sake and de'escalated a situation where it could have gone deadly. The voice of reason won and no one got hurt (or least killed)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Just to clarify I was pointing out the possibilities on why the officer took the actions he did.

If that were a citizen, he would be charged with a felony.

The cop deserves to be charged with brandishing a firearm in public, without clear cause.

He endangered every person present when he unholstered his weapon.

His safety is not more important than everyone else's.

He should be up on felony charges right now, just like anyone else would.

Keep you blue shield crap.

This is the reason police fear for their lives.

They deserve it by acting like jackbooted thugs constantly.

In the 50s no officer would have drawn his weapon.

Today that is the go to tactic.

You do know 10 people get killed by the police, for every cop that gets injured in the job right?

You know most police injuries are accidents too right?

In other words, police are brutalizing citizens, because they are scared for their safety.

Find other employment if you are a pussy crybaby.

Soldiers in actual warzones go to prison over less.

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down here turbo, let me try to break this crap down.

If this cop were a citizen, he would have the option of retreating. It is quite literally this officers JOB to detain/arrest this suspect. If he retreated, he would not be a good cop. If Police retreated every time they encountered resistance, there would be complete anarchy, so there's that.

See first point, it is literally in this cops job description to stop, detain and arrest criminal suspects, he was assaulted several times before pulling his weapon, and given the fact that despite having an unidentified substance thrown in his face and being attacked several times, I don't care how much you hate cops, he had a right to pull his weapon and prepare for the worst. What if that was acid thrown in his face, what if the woman was about to pull a weapon, the 1 second it takes for him to then draw his weapon and legally defend himself could be his last, sorry, I don't care how much you hate cops, your hatred for them does not trump their right to life.

He didn't endanger anyone, he has extensive training in the handling of a firearm, and you can see that by the fact he had the barrel facing down the entire time. He also didn't point it at anyone. It seems you have a phobia of guns (based upon your 3 bullet points dealing specifically with it), but believe it or not, a bullet cannot come flying out the side of the gun to hit an innocent bystander.

True, his safety is not "more important" than anyone elses, but the fact of the matter is, this cops life is in 10 times more danger than yours or mine at any given time while he has that uniform on. And, as I said before, since it is quite literally his job to detain and arrest suspects, they are given more authority to carry and potentially deploy weapons than you or I specifically for that reason. To protect themselves from people like you who seem to not even view Police Officers as people who have families they want to return to every night.

The fact that Police Officers deal with criminals and their crimes literally every single day on the job should give the Police a little bit of leeway. When was the last time you had to stop a criminal who just robbed a convenience store? When was the last time you had to stop someone who just robbed a house? When was the last time you had to arrest a Woman Beater? When was the last time someone pointed a gun at you? When was the last time you had to break up two or more people fighting? Until you do everything I just mentioned here and more inside of a year, then you can get the same lee way Police get. That is like demanding that a cook at a restaurant burn less food than you do inside a given month, and if he does he loses his job. Doesn't that sound ridiculous? Because that's how asinine this line of thinking is.

No, Police fear for their lives because of *people* like you (I'm trying to be reasonable here), who again don't view Police as a fellow human, but as something to pointlessly rebel against.

In the 50's, fellow passengers probably would have actually helped the Police Officer. If the people helped the Officer in this case, he probably wouldn't have needed to pull his weapon in the first place.

That has been the go to tactic in isolated cases because, I don't know if you know, but people with your barbaric mindset have been walking up and murdering cops in cold blood since Michael Brown. Yep, maybe you didn't hear about the 2 NYPD cops who were executed in their Police Car for revenge for Michael Brown's death, (whom the suspect had no relation to whatsoever), maybe you didn't hear about the guy who just dumped an entire magazine into a Texas Cop's back a few weeks ago.

You do know that people in the United States outnumber Cops 30 to 1 right? You also know that, given the amount of Police on the Force in the United States at approximately 1.2million and how many are murdered (which has been increasing), that Police are twice as likely to be murdered as your average citizen (whos murder rate is decreasing)? (1.2million Cops divided by 126 cops that were murdered last year =1 in 9523 cops murdered), whereas the murder rate for civilians for our given population was more than twice as low (315million Americans divided by 14,000 murders (2013 numbers) = 1 in 22,600 citizens murdered) so just remember, if you are ever murdered, just know that 2 cops died with you, if you have a right to defend yourself, a cop has twice the right.

Not sure what accidental injuries on the job have to do with this argument.

In other words, on average, cops are more than twice as likely to be murdered as a citizen. Since their murder rate jumped a full 25% between 2013 and 2014, and with a Race Baiting media and race pimping Al Sharpton, people have been attacking Police more and more completely unprovoked, and people are also instigating their encounters with Police in hopes of being the next Michael Brown.

I think it's funny you are calling people "pussy cry-baby" because they actually defend themselves as opposed to being a punching bag and life size shooting silhouette, but you are simultaneously complaining that they are doing so, indicating you want them to be less aggressive and to not defend themselves, which when applied to the average man who doesn't defend themselves would actually make them a "pussy cry-baby". I guess it's manly to let someone attack you and run away. I have been unaware of this fact for 25 years, learn something new every day!

Because a Marines job in Afghanistan is = to a Cops job in the States. Also, you are wrong. Just. Wrong.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jenkinswasher

Always more to the story? Like the suspect throwing rubbing alcohol in the officers face then assaulting him in an effort to escape?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: Jenkinswasher

Always more to the story? Like the suspect throwing rubbing alcohol in the officers face then assaulting him in an effort to escape?

In an effort to escape to where exactly ?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That's the problem of the lady resisting arrest. It tells me she didn't think her actions through to the end unless her goal was to gain access to a weapon the officer did not know about or an attempt to gain control of one of the officers weapons.

While stupidity is often found among criminals this case would be no different. If she had no where to escape to then why did she resist and try to escape?

edit on 26-9-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join