It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizens Make Cop Holster Gun During Arrest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Man, what a sight! I dunno about you, but I'm tired of all the police brutality videos and this one is a breath of fresh air! Here we have an African american woman yelling, threatening, fighting an African american cop while on a moving bus. There is a crowd watching this scene unfold. At one point the cop draws his gun, and how we've seen cops in police brutality videos act you'd think this woman was dead for sure. The crowd yells for the cop to drop his gun and that it's not that serious because the woman isn't going anywhere. They yell and yell until he holsters his weapon and then the woman continues to fight him! But he doesn't draw his gun and the crowd then tells her to stop! The crowd kept a cool head while protecting both the cop and the perp.

This video is just aweome.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'm sure this lady thought she was being a victim of "police brutality". The one thing this whole talking point on police brutality has caused is a lot of people believing they're victims instead of the actual criminals they are for what they've done. I'm glad no one was hurt here.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I just want to leave this here: Don't always fall for the social media propaganda. Alot of these police brutality videos we see on social media tend to not show or explain the full story of what really happened, and automatically imply that the cop is the antagonist.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
First off... Giving in to peer pressure is what causes all of the cops to go rogue in the first place and that's exactly what happened here. Sometimes they don't need their gun out for the perp so much as trying to be sure his back is covered as well.

Do we have a problem with police brutality? Absolutely without a doubt we do.

So I'm torn. While I am happy that he didn't use lethal force, I am a bit worried that a few people shouting for him to put the gun down was good enough for him.

It's a double edged sword for sure. It's a damn tricky time to be a cop. All in all, I am glad as always that nobody was hurt or killed here. It would be nice if that never happened again.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

Let's be honest, sure there are videos that used for propaganda and such but there are also many cases of police brutality caught on tape so let's not pretend it's propaganda.

Social media? You're talking about Youtube? I get my news of police brutality videos from news outlets and ATS. I don't surf Facebook, Twitter, or any of the like.

But your right, in the majority of the videos we don't get the full picture. We certainly don't in this video and we don't know what happened but clearly things could have gone south fast once he drew his gun but thank god for that crowd pressing him to put it away and help deescalate the situation.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This is why lawful filming of police should be the law of the land.

I wonder if he would have acted differently if there weren't a few cameras pointed at him.

S&F good sir.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Peer pressure? Sure, but the pressure of his fellow cops is much more powerful than a random crowd of people he'll probably never see again.

I don't think it was peer pressure that made him put his gun down or that he feared the crowd. I believe he listened the crowds logic and realized they were right. The crowd was also telling her to stop to further deescalate the situation.

You should be proud of this officer that he was able to do his job without using excessive force and not worried he easily succumbs to peer pressure.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I feel like that was a great example of
de-escalation followed by reframing
and then realization that 'yeah
no one needs to die over this'.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I am proud of any situation that doesn't end in killing another living being.

I think I very clearly stated that sentiment in my post.

edit on 9/24/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

It's a good thing no one had to die, the crowd acted appriopriately. Good on them

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

You sure did but you question him putting his gun away?

I hope anytime a cop has to deal with someone like that they are able to do it without resorting to pulling their gun out. Obviously there are times it's needed but this wasn't it.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I didn't question him putting his gun away. I questioned him listening to others telling him to put it away. Did he do the right thing here? Absolutely. I just questioned the ease at which he took direction from others. That's all. And that is a valid argument. How many good cops do you hear about that started out as awesome cops and then caved to peer pressure?

I can surely question that without questioning the outcome of this situation?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Can anyone explain why he pulled his gun out in the first place?

Because that should be criminal in and of itself.

Brandishing a firearm is criminal, especially seeing how she was unarmed and not likely to cause at the most severe bodily injury to anyone, which is the minimum standard to lawfully employ lethal force.

I'm mean has has a taser and a baton..... Why not employ those?

Idiot cops.....

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The cop was able to listen to reason all because of that crowd. They were right and he realized he could do it a better way. I'm sure the fact all of them were filming him had something to do with it but at the end of the day he did the right thing. There are plenty of cops who do horrible things without giving any care that they're being filmed. Sometimes they get fired, in extreme cases they get arrested, but most times they walk away Scot free.

In any case, the Justice Dept. should make this video a part of whatever mandatory training police have to take because it's a great real life situation to learn from.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Yea, I hear ha don't have a bad day, often times that might be your last.

I do not understand the mentality of escalation of force, often times against women or crippled people it seems so counter intuitive, I love my country. I cannot stand the way the police force acts in general, like I said glad no one had to die that day.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

I can only assume it's just become a go to move by a lot of cops when they're dealing with someone who fighting them and they are in fear for themselves.

Ever see the video of an unarmed black man get gunned down because he reached into the car to get his ID after being asked by a cop for it?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

What they aren't telling / showing you is the suspect threw rubbing alcohol in the officers face. She then resisted and attempted to push the officer back in an effort to escape.

The incident is under investigation. The article below is typically dramatized while ignoring the totality of circumstances. Was the officer justified in drawing his weapon? Based on the alcohol being thrown in his face and attempt to push him away to escape I would say yes. That's based on the fact the officer did not know what was being thrown on him. It can be viewed as an attempt to disarm the officer, not to mention it could be viewed as felony assault on law enforcement. Secondly while the people on the bus identified the officer by his uniform the officer does not / could not know if other people on the bus were with the female in question. When you have people yelling at him to holster / drop the gun it forces the officer to divert his attention - to the lady he is dealing with and now the other people on the bus yelling at him.

Obviously just my opinion and observations that aren't in the articles / op. We shall see what the investigation uncovers (which looks to be an IA investigation and not criminal). We get to view this incident with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. The officer doesn't have that luxury.

Boston Transit Officer Under Investigation After Beating Black Woman, Pulling Gun On Witnesses
edit on 25-9-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

It's all very clear in the video the woman is guilty of something and is fighting the officer but she was unarmed and literally had no where to go so she can push him in hopes of escaping but it was all in vain. I'm sure she had friends on that bus but fact is the crowd helped keep that situation under control because they weren't encouraging violence from either side and I get the impression they wouldn't let that woman do any serious damage to the officer and vice versa.

The woman is screwed once she sees her day in court.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Just to clarify I was pointing out the possibilities on why the officer took the actions he did.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Just to clarify I was pointing out the possibilities on why the officer took the actions he did.

If that were a citizen, he would be charged with a felony.

The cop deserves to be charged with brandishing a firearm in public, without clear cause.

He endangered every person present when he unholstered his weapon.

His safety is not more important than everyone else's.

He should be up on felony charges right now, just like anyone else would.

Keep you blue shield crap.

This is the reason police fear for their lives.

They deserve it by acting like jackbooted thugs constantly.

In the 50s no officer would have drawn his weapon.

Today that is the go to tactic.

You do know 10 people get killed by the police, for every cop that gets injured in the job right?

You know most police injuries are accidents too right?

In other words, police are brutalizing citizens, because they are scared for their safety.

Find other employment if you are a pussy crybaby.

Soldiers in actual warzones go to prison over less.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join