It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you choose to go into a flow state?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hi all,

I've experienced something I call the flow state boxing and fighting. It's a state of mind I go into where I can do whatever I want and totally take over the fight for a few seconds before I realize what's happening and take myself out of it.

So this topic is for those you wanting to learn about the flow state and for those of you who have experienced it. This topic is NOT for skeptics I don't feel like debating anything with you.

So now, my question is how do I choose to go into that state rather then hoping to fall into it?

Usually I go there when someone lands a clean punch on me and it kinda like wakes me up. Very weird. I know other fighters who have experienced this as well. Lots of basketball players call it being on fire.

Micheal Jordan kinda just lived there.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I do this upon awakening. My alarm goes off at 6am and I set my snooze to beep at 27 minute intervals. It lets me drift in and out of R.E.M. sleep. Its a small, but important part of my morning that I control, in and out of dream states that set me up consciously every morning. I like to indulge, so that doesn't help a clear mind, clear outlook mentality which makes some days better than others. Morning control of my dream state has been quite valuable and contributes deeply to my outlook on life.

edit on 24-9-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Everything goes in slow motion, everything becomes a feeling. How to get in it? No idea

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

What you experienced is the definition of being in the moment. Its thinking about nothing but the eternal now. It lasts a small amount of time for you because like all, you are conditioned to live either in the future or the past. You tend to want to remember your training (the past) or attempting to anticipate your opponents future action (living in future). Being in the moment is reading and reacting. However that requires a type of focus that takes time, repetition and tenacious determination to acquire. You dip into it when you 'forget' to think and for a moment you just are, you just be. Your open to the moment and it rewards you with clarity and reactionary intuition.

Being in that state is called many things including hyperfocus, being in the moment, clear mind, thinking with your third eye, being hot or on fire. In the zone or most famously being Zen. They all require that instead of remembering or anticipating, that you simply be in the moment and let the thought arrive naturally.

Michael Jordan was frequently in the zone because he learned meditation and zen teachings from Phil Jackson and his meditation staff. He learned to let the game 'come to him' and to avoid forcing things. In basketball understanding the flow is key. You must learn to read and react as opposed to having a preconception and needing it to literally happen the way you mentally conceived it to be. It requires patience and discipline to learn how to stop your mind from over thinking and building up false expectations.

If you dont trust the moment, if you doubt being in the moment, it takes you out because once again you start living in your head, instead of paying attention to the true reality of Now.
edit on 24-9-2015 by ZealousZaniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I think it has to do with not thinking about what you're doing and just trusting what you're doing. If you think about what you're going to do next, you're messing with your rhythm and slowing yourself down whereas if you just act and trust your instincts it just flows naturally.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ZealousZaniac

Well great post!

I agree, good perspective!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Are you interested at all in traditional martial arts (TMA)?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

I do brazilian Jiu jitsu wrestling, boxing and Muay thai.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Capitulation. You enter the flow by giving up wanting. Just acceptance and choosing to be part of everything. Most struggle with that, because it means to embrace insignificance.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I do brazilian Jiu jitsu wrestling, boxing and Muay thai.

Ah, all good stuff.

In some southern style Chinese TMA there is a concept called Geng Ging, it means "Fear Power", or sometimes I have heard it called "Hate Power", but not as often. My teacher said that it would be "the feeling that you get if someone were to walk up behind you and stick a pin in your ass"

Anyhow, that is the feeling that is supposed to instigate the flow-state that is sought after and cultivated by practitioners of certain southern Chinese styles of boxing such as Bak Mei (white eyebrow), amongst a few others.

I thought that you would find it interesting that there is a name from the annals of antique boxing from China, or anywhere for that matter, for what I think that you are referring to.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots
Great info! Had to look into it more thanks!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Wow, please disregard my previous post. I need to learn how to read.

Thanks for the stars though, you're all too kind.

top topics

join