It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Speech, Pope Francis Skips Over Line With Political Punch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
In his speech to the US congress, Pope Francis, had accidentally, skipped a political punch line, amidst his call for action on death penalty, climate change and immigration.

Source[ /url]

Pope Francis often sprinkles his writings or public speeches with pungent zingers on issues like inequality and environmental destruction. But he unexpectedly omitted one of the punchiest lines in his prepared remarks to Congress, as he skipped past a line condemning the role of money in politics. “If politics must truly be at the service of the human person, it follows that it cannot be a slave to the economy and finance,” the pope’s advance script stated.

Federico Lombardi, a Vatican spokesman, said Francis omitted the passage by accident.

[url=http://www.marketwatch.com/story/pope-francis-urges-congress-to-find-fixes-for-migrant-environmental-problems-2015-09-24-12103242]The full speech...

This controversial one liner, surely outlines the grim reality of politics as not serving the interest of the people, and so it begs to question why the Pope had skipped the political punch line.

A good analysis by a separate source on the one liner below, also touches based on the grim realities of Polictics...

Source

The line appears to challenge the dominant role of money in American politics.

A paragraph in the prepared text quotes briefly from the Declaration of Independence — the passage on self-evident truths — and then says, "If politics must truly be at the service of the human person, it follows that it cannot be a slave to the economy and finance." The paragraph defines politics in terms of the "compelling need to live as one" and building a common good that "sacrifices particular interests in order to share, in justice and peace, its goods, its interests, its social life." That passage would have come up 20 minutes into the speech, but Francis omitted it. It's unclear whether that was purposeful or he inadvertently skipped it. Francis, who has said English is difficult for him, spoke verbatim from his prepared remarks for the entirety of the rest of his speech. The message would have fit other remarks he made — and has made previously — about economic and political inequality. Last March, the Crux reported on an interview in which Francis criticized political money in Argentina, his home country. "In the financing of electoral campaigns, many interests get into the mix, and then they send you the bill," Francis was quoted as saying. He added, "Everything needs to be transparent and clean." He also and spoke approvingly of public financing: "Perhaps public financing would allow for me, the citizen, to know that I'm financing each candidate with a given amount of money."

For most on ATS, who are already aware of the corrupt political system driven by corporations, can agree with the message behind this one liner. But why could the Pope just say it like it's suppose to.

I'm personally so so not happy with the Pope right now

So, what are you guys thoughts on this?
edit on 24-9-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

I'm not happy either. He's supposed to be announcing E.T's

I'm beginning to think the internet isn't being 100% honest with me.....

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

I'm not happy either. He's supposed to be announcing E.T's

Yeah, hold a protest and ask the Pope and Obama to spill the beans

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

For most on ATS, who are already aware of the corrupt political system driven by corporations, can agree message behind this one liner. But why could the Pope just say it like it's suppose to.

Well what's a billionaire oligarch to say ?

The Vatican has a very dense and widespread investment portfolio – holding billions of shares in the most powerful international corporations. Just to give you an example – the Vatican is heavily invested in Gulf Oil, General Motors, General Electric, International Business Machines, Shell and many others. The Catholic powerhouse also has large investments with the Rothschild family, and a number of world-renowned banks. In the United States alone, the Vatican is deeply invested in the Morgan Bank, the Chase-Manhattan, the Bankers Trust Company and a number of others. Their investments are so diverse and abundant, that it could make for a separate story.

“‘The Catholic Church,’ he said, ‘must be the biggest corporation in the United States. We have a branch office in every neighborhood. Our assets and real estate holdings must exceed those of Standard Oil, A.T.&T., and U.S. Steel combined. And our roster of dues-paying members must be second only to the tax rolls of the United States Government.’”

myfirstclasslife.com...

I'm not pleased either.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I call foul play on the Pope's part...your right Neo, his one of them elites.

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I don't have a horse in this race, as I'm not Catholic and the Pope is just another guy, but at his age and after all he's been dealing with on this trip, why would you be unhappy with him omitting a line by "accident"?

I'm amazed he's held up as seemingly well as he has and does.

As far as politics and money, I'm fairly certain anyone capable of registering and voting is well aware of the connection without anyone needing to tell them. It's been debated since I first started voting in the 1970's. It's hardly an ATS thing it seems to me.

He seems a fairly nice guy. Why not direct your complaint towards the real culprits sitting in his audience. You just don't like the Pope and use this as a reason to attack him?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I bet very few default on a repayment to god.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

It's just not that into you.

To OP - Why expect anything less? Status quo is status quo regardless of the man mouthing it. He is still just a man after all.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I wonder if it was deleted off the auto cue and if there is any video proof of the text on the screen he was reading versus what he actually said.

Interesting if that part was missing from his script.

If that's the case it's not his fault.

I still feel like everything the guy said was just parroting whatever certain people or groups of people wanted to hear him say. It was a religious circus we could have done without if you ask me.
edit on 24-9-2015 by angus1745 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
He seems a fairly nice guy. Why not direct your complaint towards the real culprits sitting in his audience. You just don't like the Pope and use this as a reason to attack him?

Nope, I like the Pope especially Francis, but my focus is more towards the one liner he missed, if you had skimmed through the OP, on his previous speech he did mentioned things of political nature, and suddenly made a mistake to skip the this one line.

Don't you agree that, this one liner, is true in the sense that it does really bring out the grim reality of politics in general?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Who knows why it was skipped. On purpose...accident....who knows.

But would anyone have let him slide on the hypocrisy in that statement? I mean, how many times on Sunday does the collection plate get passed around? How much land does the RCC hold? Gold?

I, too, wish that the message would have been delivered. But I am not sure that the Pope, Francis or not, is the party that is able to deliver it.

link   

When it comes to global wealth and consolidation of pure power among all nations - the Vatican is in a league of its own.

Billionaires is to the homeless as what the Vatican is to Billionaires............is the best way to describe it.

They've had 2000 years to get their ship together and they can play politics like no other.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Sublimecraft because: praise the lord.

link   

For most on ATS, who are already aware of the corrupt political system driven by corporations, can agree message behind this one liner. But why could the Pope just say it like it's suppose to.

I agree, this is one line the Pope should have definitely said and highlighted. Unless he was getting "paid" or pressured not to say it. If he was, he's not any better than our corrupt politicians.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I agree fully that money mixed with politics is a huge issue and one of the biggest problems out there. I'm with you on the substance.

An older person who has been through a grueling schedule for days misses one line and they say by "accident", I buy that.

I'm not Catholic but am fond of the help I've seen CCS give to refugees I've met and I'm all for that. I don't begrudge the church the monies they raise as I know they do a far better job of helping folks, for less money than government ever can.

I will admit, I'm not that big on any church leader addressing Congress, but I do think churches in general do a better job of some things than government ever will.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I will admit, I'm not that big on any church leader addressing Congress, but I do think churches in general do a better job of some things than government ever will.

One of thing I guess, that I can pick out also from the this skip by the Pope, shows how the "status qou" is not to be questioned, that to me really shows how corrupt the American political system as become.

I like Pope Francis, and his general views on addressing issues, but that one liner keeps me wondering, whether he was asked to skip that line or whether he intentionally skipped it to avoid any sort of focus on what's really happening behind the political scenes.

The Pope is a powerful man seen by billions as the pillar of God, and should he had hit the punch line, what could have really come of that one line, we can only speculate to that.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

With all due respect to his Holiness but does he really think he can claim the moral high ground when it comes to money and politics?

* - Vatican banking scandal
* - Vatican Money laundering
* - Vatican Tax scandal
* - Vatican departments hiding hundreds of millions of Euros secretly tucked away.
* - Vatican corruption scandal

all the while they still hide the complete 3rd secret of Fatima...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

With all due respect to his Holiness but does he really think he can claim the moral high ground when it comes to money and politics?

* - Vatican banking scandal
* - Vatican Money laundering
* - Vatican Tax scandal
* - Vatican departments hiding hundreds of millions of Euros secretly tucked away.
* - Vatican corruption scandal

all the while they still hide the complete 3rd secret of Fatima...

It's not the Pope, it's the politics within Vatican itself. Pope Francis is a good man, he has done more good before his time as Pope and is doing good bringing issues such as he did to the forefront of US Congress, would you agree?

But the one liner he missed is a bummer!

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Do i think he missed it? Ideals are great when the purpose is justified for an end meaning. If the end meaning isnt justifed the ideals are wrong.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The Holy Father is not a confrontational person by his nature and personality. I can see how at the last minute, he would omit that line.

Corruption is part of the political system in his homeland. He has seen firsthand how money drives the engines of power. But to throw it in people's faces, in his position, does not enhance dialogue, which is a huge part of his ministry. People who disagree, need to talk, it's that simple.

The pope gave a wonderful speech.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Absolutely he has done good....

However that whole "let he who is without sin throw the first stone" thing comes to mind.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join