It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 2 killed, 9 critically injured in ‘Ride the Ducks’ crash on Aurora Bridge (Seattle)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Here is a link to local news report: Q13FOXNEWS

Warning! Image my be disturbing to sensitive viewers - you have been warned:

The Aurora Bridge has been made popular due to the Troll that lives beneath it (and has been featured on TV & in films...)
Fremont Troll

I've never been on this local attraction, but it is apparently quite popular with tourists. Too bad so many were hurt. I guess that this could be the nail in the coffin for this company (it seems to me that I remember previous incidents involving the attraction.)
edit on 9242015 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Well it certainly seems like a horrific snarl up to say the least of it. But I feel it is unwise to assume, at this early stage that the crash was caused by either of the vehicles involved. For all we know a deranged person might have run out in to traffic, or a piece of debris might have blown a tire on one of the vehicles in a horrid twist of unavoidable fate.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Aurora seems to be a word that attracts tragedy. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but hey we're on a conspiracy site aren't we?

Thoughts go out to those who have have been hurt and their families.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I hate that bridge so much. Not fond of driving over any bridge, but the 4 lanes and low sides freak me out.

I hope this raises some questions about the safety of the "Ducks". Those things are behemoths and I wonder how off the handling/braking is.

Really sad news, hope everyone recovers quickly and fully and can't imagine how the loved ones of those deceased are feeling.

SAFETY:

In Seattle, we are concerned about the safety and public nuisance caused by the DUKW boats that are operated in our city limits. As citizens of the City of Seattle, we would like to organize and affect changes necessary to ensure that these vehicles are operated in a safe and respectful manner in/on our city, streets, neighborhoods, lakes and docks.

DUKW boats operated by "RideTheDucksOfSeattle.com" in an unsafe and/or public-nusiance manner, thereby affecting citizens of Seattle, public/private property and local noise ordiances.

Sep 2015 on Aurora Bridge:4 Killed, 52 injured as 'Duck' Vehicle, bus collide on Aurora Bridge. Komo News

Aug 2010 at Sunnyside Public Launch:Two representatives of "RideTheDucksOfSeattle.com" were stationed at the public-launch to coordinate the entry/exit of DUKW boats at the Sunnyside Public Boat-Launch. When queried as to the reason, it was learned that a DUKW nearly collided with another citizen's vehicle as it used the launch.

Aug 2010 on Lake Union: A DUKW boat from "RideTheDucksOfSeattle.com" nearly front-end collided with a small 14' sailboat on Lake Union. The driver of the DUKW was not attentitive to boat traffic ahead of the vehicle and his head/torso was turned to the back of the vehicle as he entertained the boat's patrons. The collision was adverted by the sailboat turning 180 degrees and the driver putting the boat in full-reverse.

Aug 2010 at Sunnyside Public Launch: A group of 3 DUKW boats from "RideTheDucksOfSeattle.com" attempted to push past two vehicles as they launching/retrieving boats. Busy to make their tourist-schedule, the driver of the first DUKW asked over the P/A to one of the boaters: "How am I doing in the front there?" as he inched the DUKW within 6" of the truck. The driver said that he "did not feel it was safe, I've had already waited for 3 other DUKW boats and you will have wait like everyone else". At which point, the driver encouraged the passengers to berrate the driver as they waited for him to retrieve the boat.

Dec 2001:Operated by "RideTheDucks.com" a DUKW boat sank in Lake Union. The driver "forgot to put in the drain-plug". Seattle PI

July 2010 in Philadelphia: DUKW boat collides with a barge, killing TWO tourists. CNN

May 1999 in Arkansas: DUKW boat floods and kills THIRTEEN tourists. Article

Link

I do have to wonder what sort of upgrades these vehicles have been given, since they were produced over 60 years ago...

edit on 2420150920151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

WOW- thanks for all of the great information regarding previous incidents... The local news radio stations have been playing interviews with the Duck company's owner trying to do damage control repeating over & over that they train train train and go above and beyond what DMV requires...

Yes, the Aurora Bridge is bad in so many ways (especially when it's been raining) and as many of you probably know, it is supposedly HAUNTED due to the high number of alleged suicides. I recall a few years ago before they added safety barriers... heading south just before the first exit off of the bridge to Queen Anne Hill I noticed a man standing/walking/dancing on the ledge- but what was simply astonishing to me was that he was throwing money up into the air a bill at a time letting the wind carry it into traffic or down into the canal... I'm not sure what happened to the guy, but this is just one personal incident that springs to mind. I try to avoid that entire stretch of Highway 99 if possible unless I'm looking for prostitutes. (just kidding)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Sounds like they're not hiring qualified drivers for these types of vehicles in light of recent city changes.

Seriously, these things are no joke to navigate. Maybe they should reconsider just letting any guy get behind the wheel of one of these things. We have some local here for the tourist attractions, but we're a much smaller town. I lived in Seattle back before the recent influx of what I understand are unaware and sometimes highly aggressive and unaware drivers from all walks of life.

Best bet for a Duck driver is ex-military of a certain grade and character. Not just some yokel who gets out on a lake or in high civilian traffic areas and isn't able to navigate and entertain simultaneously. It's a demanding responsibility and requires a keen mind and high attention to detail.

Seriously....Seattle has gotten weird recently.

My heart goes out to the families of those lost and healing prayers for any hurt during this unfortunate incident.

edit on 9/25/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting, minor clarification

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I think you should start your own Duck company- using military trained drivers is a perfect idea for the combat we see on the streets around here. My biggest gripe with local drivers are the typical giant SUV/Truck driver with tinted windows (usually texting or talking while plowing through traffic/pedestrians) who change lanes suddenly without looking to see if there might be a little Honda Civic or motorcycle already occupying that area... I have been run off the road onto the shoulder/curb a number of times due to these wonderful additions to our driving population.
Since our mayor is so fond of giving precious road-space to bicycles, perhaps he could dedicate an entire lane just for Duck Tours. Traffic congestion is something we are all accustomed to, so let's make it even more enjoyable and give them a road of their own!

top topics

join