It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Psychiatric Association was Bullied into Removing Gayness from the DSM

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Anonymous007

What's so "wrong" with it, if you're so concerned about it being portrayed as "right" "normal"?

Just curious.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Do you want to cry on my shoulder?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Did you copy that as well?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Where did I make such an assertion?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

You've not any of your own assertions in this thread as you've copied and pasted everything bud

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
OMG Really... and we are a Mental Disorder?

Maybe they took it out because the realized their ignorance that being GLBTQ+ is no more a Mental Disorder than being Straight.

You assume that "Heterosexuality" is Normal and that being GLBTQ+ is Not, what if it was reversed? what if Heterosexual people are the "Mental Disorder"?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anonymous007
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Homosexuality seems to fits criterion 3 of the DSM because it is generally associated with distress. [The comment board here is filled with signs of distress! Further: The American Psychological Association (APA) has reported research about LGB and mental health that suggests gays have a higher rate of some mental disorders compared to their heterosexual (straight) counterparts. They are much more likely to need psychiatric counseling.

Specifically, studies find:

~ Higher rates of major depression, recurrent depression, substance abuse (they become addicted to drugs at five times the national rate), anxiety disorders and in youth, dependency issues. They also suffer from greater levels of overall crime and violence.

~ Greater use of mental health services with males and females reporting having same sex partners.

~ Greater levels of suicidal thoughts (they commit suicide 7 times the national rate.)

Considering that homosexuality is often not accepted, results is being ostracized, and often results in becoming a pariah to one's own family. I think we can pretty safely rule out the state of being homosexual as the overwhelming cause of these particular issues and instead consider that rather than being homosexual itself that creates these problems it just might be due to societal and cultural acceptance of homosexuality instead. I mean just look at all the anti-homosexual threads on here today. Certainly sounds like no walk in the park. Being gay isn't what causes this though, it's peoples perceptions and opinions of the person for being gay.

Basically without being able to prove it's homosexuality itself and not the societal pressures, I think you need to check this one off your list without more study.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

Who is not allowing adults to make their own choices?

Where has that issue been brought up in this thread?

You are clearly trying to make the case that homosexuals are suffering from a mental disorder. Mental disorders are generally treated in hopes of changing the habits and processes that are deemed to be unwanted. In severe cases, against their wiill.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Homosexuality seems to fits criterion 3 of the DSM because it is generally associated with distress. [The comment board here is filled with signs of distress! Further: The American Psychological Association (APA) has reported research about LGB and mental health that suggests gays have a higher rate of some mental disorders compared to their heterosexual (straight) counterparts. They are much more likely to need psychiatric counseling.

Specifically, studies find:

~ Higher rates of major depression, recurrent depression, substance abuse (they become addicted to drugs at five times the national rate), anxiety disorders and in youth, dependency issues. They also suffer from greater levels of overall crime and violence.

~ Greater use of mental health services with males and females reporting having same sex partners.

~ Greater levels of suicidal thoughts (they commit suicide 7 times the national rate.)

Considering that homosexuality is often not accepted, results is being ostracized, and often results in becoming a pariah to one's own family. I think we can pretty safely rule out the state of being homosexual as the overwhelming cause of these particular issues and instead consider that rather than being homosexual itself that creates these problems it just might be due to societal and cultural acceptance of homosexuality instead. I mean just look at all the anti-homosexual threads on here today. Certainly sounds like no walk in the park. Being gay isn't what causes this though, it's peoples perceptions and opinions of the person for being gay.

Basically without being able to prove it's homosexuality itself and not the societal pressures, I think you need to check this one off your list without more study.

It's called guilt!

Believe me, it took me years to overcome it once I left the church, and yes, the guilt can even cause suicidal thought because you question what you were versus what you have become. That was in regards to believing in God, not being Gay, so I can only imagine those who are gay but yet still want to believe in God what hell they must be going thru....

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
OMG Really... and we are a Mental Disorder?

Maybe they took it out because the realized their ignorance that being GLBTQ+ is no more a Mental Disorder than being Straight.

You assume that "Heterosexuality" is Normal and that being GLBTQ+ is Not, what if it was reversed? what if Heterosexual people are the "Mental Disorder"?

Dudette: Don't hate the messenger.

Hate the message.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

a reply to: seeker1963

Who is not allowing adults to make their own choices?

Where has that issue been brought up in this thread?

You are clearly trying to make the case that homosexuals are suffering from a mental disorder. Mental disorders are generally treated in hopes of changing the habits and processes that are deemed to be unwanted. In severe cases, against their wiill.

In my Original Post, I asserted that there was never any scientific evidence to remove homosexuality from the DSM and that they folks who did so were essentially forced to.

If you want to read other things into it, that is your prerogative.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Right here.

I don't really care what people do behind closed doors.

But I do care about what falsehoods are forced down the throats of others -- especially how children are indoctrinated into accepting a behavior as "right" and "normal".

Reads like an assertion to me.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

That's because it IS normal to be heterosexual. Heterosexual people have parts that fit together and make a baby. Homosexuals do not. If the majority of people were homosexuals, it wouldn't be normal to be heterosexual. It's not an insult to be abnormal or to have a mental disorder.

It's absolutely fine to be gay, mental disorder or not.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Dig for evidences by yourself instead of copypasting most likely text written by some right wing weirdos. In the meantime I can be called mental but here's the thing. I'm human not animal. I don't need to breed like an animal that uses his instincts instead of intellect.
Love isn't only about sex and sex makes small percentage in real love. Humans are too complex to just categorize them by left, right and compare it to animal kingdom.
BTW I saw homosexual animals but never saw animal monogamic marriage.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Can people stop living under a rock and open up there circle of friends, i hang out with every type of people under the rainbow, no one is more crazy than the others.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I'm still waiting on your message

But to your point.. Gay Men and Woman can still reproduce, i know you know that, i also know that you are talking about Reproducing with the same-sex. Ok, but If there was a Gay Man and a Woman left alone on Earth, they could still reproduce

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Not too mention that sperm and eggs can be created from male skin. With artificial womb females wouldn't even be needed in the process.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
a reply to: Domo1

I'm still waiting on your message

But to your point.. Gay Men and Woman can still reproduce, i know you know that, i also know that you are talking about Reproducing with the same-sex. Ok, but If there was a Gay Man and a Woman left alone on Earth, they could still reproduce

Well why not a gay man and a gay man??? I mean if there was a gay man and a gay woman and they were the last on earth and still reproduced, I guess that would make them then hetero in the end right?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

That's because it IS normal to be heterosexual. Heterosexual people have parts that fit together and make a baby. Homosexuals do not. If the majority of people were homosexuals, it wouldn't be normal to be heterosexual. It's not an insult to be abnormal or to have a mental disorder.

I kind of have to agree... If you consider "it" being called a mental disorder an insult, then what does that really say about your opinions towards things such as Bipolar Disorder, or ADD? They are mental disorders, so is it now insulting to point that out?

Fact of the matter seems to be that though there is absolutely nothing wrong with "being different", it's kinda clear homosexuality fits this definition... If being gay is a deviation of the brain, just like ADD is, then either "everyone is normal", or some people differ from the norm, it's one or the other, and I don't think pretending everyone is the same applies, since we KNOW from scans etc, that brains do differ.

I have nothing against same sex couples, not at all, but the premise seems to be that if "it's a mental illness" is considered an insult, than so is being diagnosed with any other mental illness, which is downright BS if you ask me.

For what it's worth, I have *SNIPPED some personal information myself*. I think everyone should be treated equally, but I don't think we should go as far as turning "mental disorders" into an insult, which some of you seem to do.

There's nothing wrong with being homosexual just as there is nothing wrong with having ADD, if both are brain anomalies we should be allowed to point that out imho.

Edit: If anything, I'd like a society which doesn't stigmatise anyone, mental disorder or not, rather than a society which is too scared to point out the OBVIOUS fact that some (a lot of) people are "different". Why do ADD brains look different on scans? Because they're the same as people who don't suffer the disorder? And when you can admit there IS a difference, why would you refuse to acknowledge it? Because people might stigmatise you, which is the REAL issue here, not the fact that you're different
edit on 24-9-2015 by HalfLeaf because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2015 by HalfLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Domo! You should know by now with this length of time discussing this topic normal is not referring to 'median' or average by numbers. Being left handed is not in the majority, but it's pretty normal to be left handed as hell. There aren't that many ginger people, but we don't argue about them being abnormal. Darth can correct me, but I think in this instance it's Darth's definition of normal you should be using / debating with.

I know that sounds awful patronizing :/ but it's true. It doesn't further the conversation much to play semantics.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join