It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible Taught us a lot of Astronomy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Just because your interpretation of these scriptures are different than mine doesn't mean the Bible didn't teach us anything about astronomy. I don't see how you can deny it. It is pretty clear to me that they were aware the Earth was round, floated in space and was in a expanding universe. You can interpret it however you want. That doesn't negate anything.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: FearYourMind

originally posted by: Titen-Sxull
a reply to: FearYourMind

Human beings evolved together so yes, in a sense there was a "mass appearance" of humanity. That's because individuals do not evolve, populations do. At no point in human history were there ever just two humans.

I'm having trouble putting into words how absurdly ignorant you'd have to be of how we got here and how nature, biology, Cosmology and evolution work to say things like this...

Yes, because scientific theory has been proven wrong over and over again. So the face palm has been in the face of scientist more than any other.

Unless you're just trolling.

Yet, you rely only on scientific theory to back these claims. Not facts.

These two sentences alone deserve another Picard face palm picture... Especially coming from someone who earlier in the thread bragged about having E=MC^2 tattooed on his leg.

Yes, because scientific theory has been proven wrong over and over again. So the face palm has been in the face of scientist more than any other.
edit on 24-9-2015 by FearYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I would also suggest reading the article I provided that goes into detail about these scriptures.

Source

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

The Muslims and Arabs taught us more.

As the ancient Greeks and the Minoans taught them.

There is nothing new under the Sun.

edit on 24-9-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Many of the laws of nature can be derived mathematically from other laws. For example, Kepler’s laws of planetary motion can be derived from Newton’s laws of gravity and motion (classical physics). And (it is thought that) the reason gravity works the way it does is because mass “curves spacetime.” Essentially, space and time are treated as a “fabric” which is distorted by the presence of mass; the mass curves spacetime, and then spacetime tells the mass how to move. Many laws of nature depend on other laws which depend on still others, and so on. Ultimately, there must be a foundational set of principles which exist for no other reason than that God has so decreed. Ultimately, the fundamental laws of nature require a law-giver.

Source

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Scientific theories are areas of study that work together to explain phenomenon, a theory, in science, is MADE UP OF FACTS, as in facts, laws and predictions/conclusions are all constituent parts of what makes up a scientific theory.

Faith, on the other hand, is something I reject utterly in the religious sense of the word faith. Why would I have an unjustifiable confidence (faith) in irrational nonsense and in what way would that help me learn about the world around me and the people in it? There is 0 epistemic value to faith because faith can convince people of anything, faith is the same mechanism that causes children to believe in Santa, the Greeks to believe in Zeus and Scientologists to believe in Xenu.

Perhaps, instead of blind faith, you could allow yourself to actually learn about and explore the world. You could maybe retain some of the information that's been explained to you instead of being intellectually dishonest and pretending your obscene ignorance is an opinion that deserves to be shielded behind your faith.

As for how super intelligent you think we are I think every post you've made so far is a point against that notion.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Titen-Sxull

Where do you think scientific theories originate from? People's minds. Then people like Einstein have "FAITH" in a theory that came to them and they go to the drawing board to try and prove it. Without faith, these theories would never have been proven. People rejected Einstein's theory of relativity and black holes existing, but those same ignorant scientist who wanted facts to back his theory up got the face palm eventually when it was indeed proven. So, this will repeat as we learn more and more. You and I along with the rest of the minds in this world know less than 10% of what is around us, so let's not act like God is a joke and the Bible is just a bunch of BS. I'll bet the Bible is more accurate than the history books we are given to read in school. Yet, nobody questions that. For years we thought Columbus discovered America, but we now know that was a bunch of crap. It's foolish to disregard ancient text just because you have no faith or religion. You use faith more than anything else to survive in this world. Faith is a huge part of our lives. Calling God "the man in the sky" and ridiculing such things shows your own ignorance.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Where do you think scientific theories originate from? People's minds.

Science does not deal in opinion or stuff that's just made up from "people's minds", it deals with observation, testability, falsifiability and repeatability. So you're half right. Scientific theories come from people, people who are measuring the actual reality we live in and coming to objectively verifiable conclusions.

Without faith

Wrong usage of the word faith. Words have multiple definitions and you are committing and equivocation fallacy. In actuality many scientists go out and try to prove other scientists WRONG, confirmation bias is weeded out and blind faith is absolutely not allowed.

so let's not act like God is a joke and the Bible is just a bunch of BS.

The God of the Bible is a fictional character and the Bible was written by human beings, that's why it depicts a tyrannical King on a throne as its God. The God of the Bible, who brings plague, who controls the rain, who spews fire on top of a mountain and rumbles in the sky (volcano). You think THAT God is real? Good grief.

By the way you've committed a huge error in logic by bringing up that we only know 10% of what's around us, because that 10% includes everything every human ever thought they knew about your God and that 90% could easily contain ten million gods or NO GODS at all. If you're going to make a point that all mankind is ignorant of 90% of the Universe that makes your ancient child-murdering warlike plague-bringer who designed an eternal torture pit look even MORE like the fictional being he obviously is. This error is known as the Feuerstein Fallacy after facebook apologist Pastor Josh Feuerstein.

The fact is that the 10% we do know contradicts virtually everything the authors of the Bible believed. I can't blame those authors, but I can sure as heck blame you for not knowing better.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Titen-Sxull

You've obviously never read the New Testament or you wouldn't perceive a hateful God who murders and cast plagues on people. That's why he brought Jesus to us so we could learn a new way and not the way of the Old Testament. Our God is a loving God, but Satan is the ruler of this Earth and he is out to destroy. Satan played a big part in all of the things that happened in the Old Testament. But, this thread is about the people of the Old Testament who somehow knew the Earth was circular and floated in a expanding universe, not your contempt for God or religion.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It called Earth a circle. I already went over this in my original post. A circle is a 2D object.

Still haven't answered my question yet... That is very telling to me.

Job 26:10. This verse teaches that God has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness. This boundary between light and darkness (day and night) is called the “terminator” since the light stops or “terminates” there. Someone standing on the terminator would be experiencing either a sunrise or a sunset; they are going from day to night or from night to day. The terminator is always a circle, because the earth is round.

Source

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Pure, unadulterated, confirmation bias... Bravo FearYourMind!... you are highlighting the absolute untrustworthiness of the religious viewpoint.

Keep it coming, as the results of religious ignorance are turning away the educated world from religions wholesale... which is only a good thing! ;-)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

That's a estimate, not a exact number.

Correct. If your God wrote the bible, why didn't he put the exact number in?

Why is there no mention of other planets? Or how far away the closest star is?

It doesn't because it cannot because it's made up, it's fictitious, it's fake. It's a work of man to give a sense of meaning to the unknown.

It was great 2000 years ago. But nothing in it applies today.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Again, it says circle, not orb or even a ball.

You're drawing inference where there is none, because man didn't know anything back then to make up accurate stories.

And surely if "God" wrote it, then it would be a lot more accurate. You know, what with God being the one that designed it and everything and all....

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzlesphere

Religion is a evil spirit in itself. Obviously you aren't educated in what the Bible teaches us. A church is not a building, but a body of Christ. We the people are the church. We the people are to walk with Christ and trust in God, not man. Man created religion therefor religion is flawed and corrupt.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

OK, let's play your little game. How did they know it was a circle? How did they know Earth floated? Just guesses huh? mmk.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

...so let's not act like God is a joke and the Bible is just a bunch of BS.

God *is* a joke in the sense that it is the ultimate joke played on mankind since the priests and mullahs and the lot all made it up. If there is a God, then there is no evidence to its existence.

And the Bible has some very interesting myths and stories - but nothing of moral or ethical value. The Bible is the LAST place one should go for any of that.

I'll bet the Bible is more accurate than the history books we are given to read in school. Yet, nobody questions that.

I'll bet you're wrong and I'll wager MANY historians know it's mostly wrong.

But hey - if the bible gives you comfort then please, stick to it. Just stay away from schools and places of learning -- your fantasies about that poison are no longer welcome in modern society. Keep it behind closed doors, or, better still, bin it and open a history book.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

That's a estimate, not a exact number.

Correct. If your God wrote the bible, why didn't he put the exact number in?

Why is there no mention of other planets? Or how far away the closest star is?

It doesn't because it cannot because it's made up, it's fictitious, it's fake. It's a work of man to give a sense of meaning to the unknown.

It was great 2000 years ago. But nothing in it applies today.

Because there is no exact number. If you had any knowledge about astronomy, you would know that stars are born and stars die.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

a reply to: noonebutme

OK, let's play your little game. How did they know it was a circle? How did they know Earth floated? Just guesses huh? mmk.

They didn't. They made an assumption it was a circle. Also, the Earth doesn't float.

I think you were already told about that. The Earth orbits the Sun, in space, which is actually not really empty.

You know, I learned about this in school when I was 7. Did you?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Fair point. But why didn't the bible give an accurate count at the time of writing? I'll tell you what - if it had done that, it would have a bit more credibility than it does now.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
double post...
edit on 24-9-2015 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join