It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help somebody, possible schizophrenia development in someone I love.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Soapusmaximus

If you are concerned for your friends welfare then don't hesitate-get help. I've been unfortunate enough to see a friend go through catatonia, it is something you would not want to see anyone go through let alone a friend, She might hate you for seeking help on her behalf but if it helps her then let her hate you all she wants, at least you cared enough to get her help.

edit on 24-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Oh I almost forgot. Regarding bad dreams and nightmares. There is a solution a spell of sorts but you need to believe what you are saying.

"I will not remember my dreams when I wake up"

Repeat that loudly or silently 3 times before you go to sleep. It will work if you believe it will help you not remember dreams. Same goes for remembering dreams. It has more to do with preparing yourself, your subconciousness to its effects than anything else really...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
If it is that bad at this point that she doesn't think she will last until the doc appointment, she can voluntarily commit herself somewhere.

If it is schizophrenia then she needs a doc asap. She is not just a potential harm to herself, but also those around her.

Hope you all can get it sorted asap and will have you in my thoughts.

Do not commit her, and do not let her commit herself. What are the visual and auditory haullucinations about?

Has she shared that information with you? What is she being told and are the sounds or voices benevolent or malevolent..
edit on 24-9-2015 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
OP:

Your suspicions may be correct, but there are other possibilities. Extreme stress can exacerbate other mental issues in this manner for example. Regarding that, also please bear in mind that stress is not a universal thing and that people with preexisting diagnoses can sometimes beat themselves up and work themselves into a frenetic state over things that the average person would not immediately empathize with... simple or little things. Just having a diagnosis can lead to feeling guilty and that guilt can grow, over time, until it becomes overpowering.

No matter what the case, the only advice I can offer is to get your loved one to a professional as quickly as possible.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soapusmaximus
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The problem of sectioning her is there is much evidence that introducing psychoactive meds will often worsen the condition, especially if it's a misdiagnosis - she is very scared of having the choice taken out of her hands, and I would rather take my risks than do that to her.

I will get her through to Monday, but I am worried what happens after.

Thanks for your response Vasa Crow.

Is it possible to choose green organic food instead of medication? One thing I say for sure, she should sign up at a gymnasium and start working out like crazy..one way to maintain control over these episodes, is by working out like a madman, also if you have pets like a dog, they are also a very good outlet and source of LOVE.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think someone mentioned cod liver oil or something...Here is a great article:

However, among people with schizophrenia, supplementation with omega-3 fats appears to be particularly important. According to Current Psychiatry:5

“Essential fatty acid deficiency and resulting lipid membrane abnormalities have been hypothesized to play a role in schizophrenia onset. Moreover, epidemiologic data suggest an association between high fish consumption and positive outcomes in patients with schizophrenia.”

Multiple clinical trials have been conducted that show supplementing with omega-3s among people with schizophrenia leads to significant improvement in symptoms and quality of life – and the improvements remained even after the supplements were discontinued.

Even among patients already taking antipsychotic drugs, adding an omega-3 supplement led to greater improvements.6

Source

I still suggest you ask and research into nootropics as well -- this is a class of drugs that has been pretty much ignored by mainstream medicine. Not sure why, patents or profits not there?

Also, salmon has a lot of good oils ... maybe try to eat more salmon as well?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

More greens, and more fish and more poultry..organic if you can..

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

That's funny, my response to bad dreams and nightmares would be to document them and to write then down, so as to be able to discuss their content with someone.. if the dreams and nightmares are naturally generated, then they will have important information within them, if the dreams and nightmares are being manufactured by some kind of human rfid implant, than that will not be this young lady's fault..

We can talk about government electronic harassment later, but it is also an option to explain what could be occurring to your friend.. believe it or not, there is actually technology out there, than can cause people to see and hear things, that can cause involuntary movement, and that can cause artificial dreams and nightmares..

I'll share the websites concerning that technology later though..most people don't believe in satellite terrorism..

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Hello Soapusmaximus,

Not having met your friend it's difficult to be sure, but you said that her son has autism? It's often really hard to diagnose females with autism, but it is possible that she is autistic too. She sounds as if she is fixating on schizophrenia, having obsessive thoughts and anxiety about developing it - all possible traits of autism.
If she doesn't want to come off her anti-depressants, then she shouldn't - it should be up to her, and if she isn't ready then she isn't ready - no problem.

The other thing to remind her is that having schizophrenia does not mean that she will have to end her own life too - a lot of people live with the condition and manage it really well. Try to help her remain calm - easy for me to say, I'm sure, and try not to worry. Is there someone that can be with her until Monday? It's maybe not a good time for her to be alone if she is having suicidal ideation.
Her psychiatrist should be able to reassure her, and hopefully help her find the right treatment.

Wishing you both good luck on Monday.

B x

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

#1 - Calm the hell down!

Have you and you family ever tried to consider looking at this diagnosis as a gift?

I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 3 years old. It wouldn't actually be until i was 40 that I would get hints that I was schizophrenic, and at 42, I had absolutely no doubt of it when I saw fictional worlds unfold in front of my eyes that led to several suicide attempts.

Now here's the thing about a schizophrenic's mind: We flat out do not see the world as you do.

And - I can only say this now after getting control of my own mind - this is NOT a bad thing.

Sure, I had bouts of depression throughout my life. I have been a programmer since I was 11, which is a profession I chose because it focused the voices in my head and helped guide me and made me feel good about me.

But it's extraordinarily difficult to describe from 'within' the experience of schizophrenia what we do not hear. I NEVER, not once heard anyone say I was suffering from schizophrenia. Do you know how the mind has a tendency to 'fill the gaps in' for things that don't make sense? The mind also has a tendency to HIDE the things that don't make sense as well.

Well that's what a schizophrenic's mind does and a person with multiple personality disorder does - our minds literally hide these accusations from us consciously.

But even though we may not HEAR or SEE the diagnosis of schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder, what we DO is feel the effect of the family pressures resulting from our lack of contact with their and your worlds.

So for me - when everyone became so overwhelmingly insistent that there was something wrong with me, my mind couldn't hide it from me consciously any longer. Those external pressures were effecting my health. So consciously, I had to figure out what was causing the problems that my own mind was hiding from me.

Now to restate that - The FIRST part of healing for a schizophrenic is to regard the mind as a separate and distinct entity. This disassociation is critical - believe it or not - the mental health of someone who's schizophrenic.

Why is this? A large part of the problem of someone with schizophrenia is separating our emotions out from others around us. Is the simple process of finding and accepting our own labels of what's real and what's not. This becomes overwhelming, so much so in fact, that it introduces a blurring effect between the lines of what is fact and fiction.

To the schizophrenic. This 'blur' is NOT imaginary. I frequently became confused what I was feeling with my ex wives, I have three of them, and the largest part of the problem was I could actually feel their emotional state which I kept dismissing as imaginary. I at one time had an affair with a woman I now am convinced didn't exist.

So here's my personal conclusion: Schizophrenia is a fundamental change in the way I think. And healing has to actually come through an abundance of self acceptance. By me refusing to accept the labels of 'having a problem' and 'being crazy', that actually started me down a path of self understanding that has made me realize - I'm just different. And now I like who I am. Is it hard accepting that some of my lovers may have been imaginary? Not really. it makes life that much more magical, mysterious, and goofy which makes me feel good about being here.

The problem with anti-depressants and anti psychotics is this: They deal with the family's emotions, which makes it HORRIBLY confusing to the schizophrenic what they are experiencing that's real versus what's a product of the drug. this intensifies the degraded feelings of self worth because 'you just don't fit in', are not 'normal'. and even if you're not consciously hearing people's diagnosis of you being a schizophrenic - you 'feel' they all think you're crazy which depresses the hell out of you worse.

I felt out of control so much towards the 'transition' to self acceptance. But it wasn't until I got off pharmaceuticals and separated myself from my family and friends until I could find a way to reinvent me and be ok 'not being like them'. Which also helped me differentiate my emotions from theirs.

The thing to keep in mind about schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder is this:

FROM THE OUTSIDE you may see the problems as plain as day.

But from within the mind of someone who's experiencing this, you flat out may not even be aware of any irregularities, so much so - that your mind may actively 'hide' things from you to lead you to believe you're not normal.

My advice to you is this: GET that person off drugs, altogether. NO pharmaceuticals. No over the counters. No illicits. No NADA. This reinforces the minds dependence on itself to solve the problems, which is critical to the health and stability of this person with this condition.

Second, and of utmost importance - HELP the person find a skill which lets them understand the separation of mind and how you can effectively reprogram your own thinking. Programming was a natural fit for me, but it took a great deal of time for it to work. I also took life coaching which is holistically based, as well as Neuro Linguistic Programming, all contributed to my own self repair of my damaged psyche.

Yes, I still hear voices - but it's manageable now and I feel like we're in a partnership and I am FAR more creative than I have ever been, so I consider this condition a gift. Furthermore, yes, I do see things on occasion, but it's often funny, odd, or puts a smile on my face - sometimes it's highly abnormal behavior in others - for instance - I frequently see people walking naked in very public places even though no one else seems to be reacting or even aware for instance - but now that i have an 'open conversation' with my own mind, I feel like we're working together in a weird partnership that feels more like fun than it does a combative relationship.

For the health of this person, support them. While this may not appear as a gift to you, it can be to those experiencing it when they learn to embrace their inner nonconformist.

A final thing; To the mind of those experiencing schizophrenia. Chances are, if they are like me at least, that their mind is also experiencing multiple personality disorder and inventing people that may act and seem and for all intents and purposes are very very real to the person with this gift.

Now how can anyone look at this as a gift?

It's really difficult to explain: but think about this. If you're the last person on Earth, you'd never know it.

And you have always got company, so you're never truly lonely.

For those 'on the outside' looking in. I frequently get into debates about 'its just not real'.

That's the thing about schizophrenia. I had to learn to develop new labels for what's real and what's not,AND accept that what i see others may not which doesn't make it any less real, and be ok with people who were insistent that I have a problem and disorder that needs cured because their reality and labels had become inconsistent with mine.

Who's crazy. The person who enjoys being different? Or the person calling you crazy insisting you believe what they do and you're crazy if you don't?

Sounds religious to me.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Do not have her commited, please.. why not just do this for her: set up an appointment where you also are allowed to be present, and both of you talk to the doctor.. a psychologist is always nice to speak to, and a psychologist unlike a psychiatrist cannot prescribe drugs..

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soapusmaximus
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The problem of sectioning her is there is much evidence that introducing psychoactive meds will often worsen the condition, especially if it's a misdiagnosis - she is very scared of having the choice taken out of her hands, and I would rather take my risks than do that to her.

I deal extensively with people detained under section, though I am not a psychiatrist or nurse.

Misdiagnosis is not common. Patients disagreeing with the diagnosis is quite common, but not misdiagnosis.

Psychoactive meds making things worse... be careful of those stories. Yes, it can happen. Sometimes people react badly to a specific medication. This is far, far less common than people think. What can happen is that someone gets "worse" during the transition stage (for instance, having to stop the previous medication before they can start on the new medication) which in some cases might take a few weeks. Once adjusted, things settle down. It's different for everyone, of course, but in many cases meds need to be "titrated" - adjusted over the course of weeks or months until the best balance dose is found.

Being admitted to a ward (whether as a voluntary patient or detained under section) is not going to be a nice experience, but sometimes it is the best way for all involved. The vast majority of doctors and nurses do genuinely care and they do genuinely want to help the people who are under their care.

I note you say you would rather "take your risks". You're not. You're taking risk with her life, not yours. Don't lose sight of that.

Best of luck to both of you, I hope the situation resolves and your friend gets the treatment and support that she needs to thrive in the community.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Milah
i'd avoid cannabidoid products cuz of the existing links to triggering schizo in predisposed individuas.

mentalhealthdaily.com...

companion animal?

Rather it may work for some, not for others. Depending on where the OP maybe they can talk to a doctor who deals with cannabinoid treatments.

A service animal is a good recommendation. Depending on how they do with animals, etc.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

According to the box of my cat food, Omega 3 and 6 is used for "vitality, healthy skin, and glowing coat"

My cat may be mentally ill, but at least it's coat maintains it's shine and vibrancy.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

Well that`s true...if a person is on a spiritual path then I do support your advice. However, if dreams are being generated by a 3rd party, then I would try to not remember any of those. But these happenings or what is called "Shizophrenia" these days that she is experiencing right now don`t sound to me like a person on a spiritual path. It sounds like that whatever it is, is feeding upon negative thoughts and emotions because it only get worse overtime and you find yourself in a vicious circle. You have bad thoughts that trigger memories associated with bad emotions that cause more bad thoughts and emotions. Then based on negative emotions such as fear and pain you do thing you normally wouldn`t and forget or choose not to do what you normally would and that causes more negative emotions which cause more negative thoughts and this is never ending route. You feel trapped inside and it is very hard to break loose...but awareness is key here and she has that awareness of what is happening to her to begin with so that`s a good sign.

On top of that, I bet she still remembers her dreams and nightmares along with auditory and visual halucinations because it is hard to forget, especially in that state of mind.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

i'd avoid cannabidoid products cuz of the existing links to triggering schizo in predisposed individuas.

mentalhealthdaily.com...

companion animal?

Rather it may work for some, not for others. Depending on where the OP maybe they can talk to a doctor who deals with cannabinoid treatments.

To the best of my knowledge (may well be outdated on this particular point) the UK only allows cannabinoids to be prescribed as an anti-emetic for chemotherapy patients.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
My advice would be to go a psychiatric ward to be assessed on what to do in the here and now, rather than waiting until Mondays appt. I was staring into the abyss myself a couple of months ago due to a sudden onslaught of a confluence of less than optimal situations, although not suffering from schizophrenia. With encouragement from some thoughtful ATS members, I sought the professional help I needed and now am back to my old self. Point is, address the current situation right away, don't wait.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: dreamingawake

mentalhealthdaily.com...

companion animal?

To the best of my knowledge (may well be outdated on this particular point) the UK only allows cannabinoids to be prescribed as an anti-emetic for chemotherapy patients.

Thanks, seen the location listed too late, that would be unfortunate(while positive for Chemo patients compared to more strict places) in this case if so. Hope maybe there's a change for the sake of it, if it can help them.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bgregory

Bravo for sharing the most important aspects of your experiences. My son sees and processes the information out there differently than the rest of my large family. We made many mistakes as a family, and surrendered his care to total strangers with degrees, pfffft, experts. The notions of what are or are not normal was the first sin that was committed against him.

Diet and focus brought my son back, and now we can see his gifts. The experience opened my eyes to a whole new world.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Op3nM1nd3d
a reply to: tony9802

Well that`s true...if a person is on a spiritual path then I do support your advice. However, if dreams are being generated by a 3rd party, then I would try to not remember any of those. .

Documenting and writing down the dreams and nightmares and keeping a journal is very important, as the content of what is occurring internally determines the nature of the problem; a series of psychosi can range all the way from, voices of enemies to voices of angels..from slanderings by black people, to loving kindness from another group of people, the psychosi can revolve around so many things;

I don't think these nightmares are emanating from this young lady naturally..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join