It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I really just wish people wouldn't be so fearful of them... Immigrants aren't going to steal our culture. It's beyond obvious.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Are the GOP the only ones going around saying immigrants should learn ENGLISH ?

Nope they are not.

Ok. Fine. Obama has said it too. He was wrong then as well. Do you think you are cornering me in some sort of hypocrisy here? I'm not afraid to call out gaffes made by the left.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I have problem with the way the government takes the issue of illegal immigrants, I had no problem helping them and finding ways for them to get food and clothing, when I was working for the school system, because migrant workers are the least to receive any help from government due to their migrating status, they do not stay long enough in one place to be able to get any government help and they live in extreme poverty in clusters of too many people living in one space, sometimes with no running water or electricity, is hard no to feel for them when you seen them and they way the live specially the babies and small children.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

This just highlights that another GOP claim is likely a myth (I say likely in this case since you are arguing along anecdotes here and they aren't really evidence of anything); that illegal immigrants are hopping the border to take advantage of social programs.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Remember is a difference with migrant workers and illegal immigrants, one sector travel around working depending the farming seasons, those are the ones I worked with.

Then you have the other side of the group those that do not go around looking for work but stay in one place and reproduce making American babies to get government assistance, that many states allow for their born American children.

I have a problem with the latest.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Well I can prove that statement actually:

10 Myths About Immigration

Undocumented immigrants don’t pay taxes but still get benefits.

Ask students what are some ways Americans pay taxes, as in income tax and sales tax. Undocumented immigrants pay taxes every time they buy gas, clothes or new appliances. They also contribute to property taxes—a main source of school funding—when they buy or rent a house, or rent an apartment. The U.S. Social Security Administration estimated that in 2013 undocumented immigrants—and their employers—paid $13 billion in payroll taxes alone for benefits they will never get. They can receive schooling and emergency medical care, but not welfare or food stamps.

In fact, the illegals are getting the short end of the stick here. They pay taxes and stuff, but can't take advantage of any social programs because of their legal status. Not that I have a problem with that or anything. It's just that the claim that illegals are coming here to take advantage of social programs is a lie.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I also know of many illegals that confided on me how they get their working visas, birth certificates and SS. for 500 dollars.

Now what that tells you.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Also I forgot, that migrant workers get pay in cash, or like many like to call "under the table" that is why many become targets to thieves.

And that in one occasion the school system call me to their offices to ask me to give away the names of the illegal immigrants that I knew, because I could be prosecuted for knowing and no telling, as what I told the school system that they were full of crap and that wasn't my job and what illegals.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: TheBulk
Again with you and the dishonest word games. Nobody is talking about legal immigration. They're talking about illegal immigration. Why are you trying to hide that distinction?

I'm not trying to hide anything. I've already addressed this nonsense. You are like the 4th or 5th person who tried to point that out and you are just as wrong as all the other people who did it. Go read the whole thread.

You're not going to have much of a country for long. But then again, that's what you guys are going for.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

He did corner you in hypocrisy...

Do you think immigrants should NOT have to learn English?

Have you read the report yet?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

So you are saying that 1000 dollars is enough to pay for everything used? The taxes you are talking about are called indirect taxes and EVERYONE pays those. It is estimated each Undocumented Immigrant pays about 1k a year in indirect taxes on average.

The lowest tax bracket in the USA is for those in poverty at 10%

Source

And the effective tax rate for that group is like -4% which offsets their indirect tax. For all intents and purposes this groups pays zero taxes and often receives funds from the government. This is the poverty bracket.

A small group fall into a 15% tax bracket with about a 7-10% effective rate and this group is often eligible for government assistance as this is the low income bracket. Depending on if they have children this group also pays little to no taxes.

MOST Americans fall into the 25% bracket with an effective rate of 15-20% and usually do not qualify for government assistance. This is the lower middle class. This group on average pays 7500 dollars in taxes and an additional 2500 in indirect taxes for a total of about 10k per year in taxes.

Source

Undocumented immigrants on average should also fall into that 25% tax bracket as they average 36k a year (That is enough to be considered lower middle class) which would come out to about 5400 in taxes. You may have been decieved because you think "but they live so poor", however undocumented workers send a huge chuck of their earnings back to their country of origin. 21 Billion a year in fact to Mexico alone.

Source

So for you to make a completely uninformed statement like "they pay taxes but don't get to use anything" shows a complete ignorance on your part for how any of this works and that you only know what blogs tell you.

It's like the people who go to the Met and only donate a penny to get in. It takes roughly 20 dollars per guest to maintain the facility and keep the work fresh and that is the recommended donation. They are happy to get 10, 5 even 2-3 dollars, but tons of people come in and donate a penny...f*ck those people. (The MET people I mean)

edit on 24-9-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
As of now this thread has nine flags. If this was an anti-Obama/anti-Hillary thread it would already be many pages longer and with many more stars and flags. The NeoCons run in gangs on this site, The Lefties are hit and miss and we do not always agree with each other.

Any more...NeoCon is just a word. Hillary is the Neocon's Neocon.
Her secret wars did not make headlines, but that does not negate them.

And once you peel back the onion, Obama while he has carried out his Cloward
Piven stragegy, still has a gun pointed at some nations in the name of "Democracy".

Dont forget he has, as Commander in Chief killed more with drones by far than GW.

edit on 24-9-2015 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I can debunk this with one simple phrase: "To continue in English please press one."

If the cited article was indeed true then there would be no need for bilingual forms, signs, or anything.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
It appears the study says legal immigrants integrate, while undocumented aliens (the ones the GOP is talking about) do not.

It's on page 95.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Foundryman
I can debunk this with one simple phrase: "To continue in English please press one."

If the cited article was indeed true then there would be no need for bilingual forms, signs, or anything.

Most illegal immigrants know Spanish, the report actually says Immigrant status significantly alters integration.

Legal aliens do integrate, those who come here illegally do not, that's why the report is true, and so is your statement, and the OP is misleading.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
It appears the study says legal immigrants integrate, while undocumented aliens (the ones the GOP is talking about) do not.

It's on page 95.

I'd bet its particularly hard to "integrate" when you are forced to the edge of society.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Yep, Krazy didn't fact check his OP. Section 3's conclusion directly contradicts his assertion.

The conclusion says that undocumented workers don't integrate, and neither do their children.

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It's on page 95.

I'd bet its particularly hard to "integrate" when you are forced to the edge of society.

That's your opinion. Another opinion is they do not want to integrate. Nothing in that report dismisses that opinion. Either way the OP does not back up their claim. The report backs up the GOP candidates.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Many from mexico can speak or at least understand english.

I had one teen that i caught trespassing pull the no hob-la English.

When the cop showed up he knew the kid spoke good English from his son who went to school with the kid.

Many Americans believe that spanish speakers claiming not to speak english don't speak or understand English.

I my self can understand spanish but due to not speaking it in years since high school (i am 64 years old)do not try to speak spanish. But the fun is to stand there and act dumb knowing they understand english and are pulling the same thing.

edit on 25-9-2015 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Logical fallacy. The actual research conducted supports the GOP position. Illegal Immigrants on average do not integrate.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join