It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Wrong again. You seem completely uninformed on this.

Source

Immigrant
An alien who has been granted the right by the USCIS to reside permanently in the United States and to work without restrictions in the United States. Also known as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). All immigrants are eventually issued a "green card" (USCIS Form I-551), which is the evidence of the alien’s LPR status. LPR’s who are awaiting the issuance of their green cards may bear an I-551 stamp in their foreign passports.
Immigrant visas are available for aliens (and their spouses and children) who seek to immigrate based on their job skills. If an alien has the right combination of skills, education, and/or work experience and are otherwise eligible, the alien may be able to live permanently in the United States. Per USCIS, there are five employment-based immigrant visa preferences (categories): EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-4 and EB-5. Refer to the USCIS Permanent Worker web site for more details.

IMMIGRANTS are only here LEGALLY. Even the report uses the term Undocumented Immigrant and their own comments section discusses they should be using the legal term Undocumented Aliens:

Illegal Alien
Also known as an "Undocumented Alien," is an alien who has entered the United States illegally and is deportable if apprehended, or an alien who entered the United States legally but who has fallen "out of status" and is deportable.

However the Federal government seems to think it is wrong to use that term anymore and wishes people to use the term Undocumented Immigrant in it's place even though they have not yet done that internally.

Source

There have been campaigns to discourage the use of the term 'illegal immigrant' in many countries since 2007, generally based on the argument that the act of immigration may be illegal in some cases, but the people themselves are not illegal. In the United States, a "Drop the I-Word" campaign was launched in 2010 to advocate the use of terms such as "undocumented immigrants" or "unauthorized immigrants" to refer to the foreign nationals who reside in a country illegally.[6]

We can see this trend and it even shows in the report as that is they term they use to differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Except that the information provided them isnt accurate, because you cant poll vast numbers of illegals because they are ILLEGAL and undocumented lol

Why's that? Illegals can't answer the door or the telephone and participate in a poll?

That makes the whole think BUNK, because thats the premise......

Language is the premise, not immigration status.

Thats like me doing a study or a poll on Mulims in America, and interviewing Hindus........

That's not a comparable analogy. Quite off the track, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Right, and you never read the report. The stats you are discussing DOES NOT INCLUDE THEM. You should have read the report. I linked it for you.

Edit, I also like how you completely ignored the paragraph I quoted FROM THE REPORT indicating they completely differentiate between legal and illegal in the report. You got fooled by the Huff bro.
edit on 24-9-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Simple, how do you know they are illegal? theres not a list of them......

very basic premise........

Language is the premise, not immigration status.

Not according to the assertions made in the original OP

and, thanks for your opinion

edit on 9/24/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Again. The study admitted that it had some flaws. Though, there were SOME things it could account for like the crime statistics.

But this “immigrant crime wave” is a myth, according to this week’s report. Researchers found that crime rates in immigrant communities are much lower than national averages. Immigrants are “much less likely” to commit crimes, and communities with high immigrant populations have lower crime rates than “comparable non-immigrant neighborhoods.” Additionally, immigrants have lower rates of incarceration than the average population, even after including immigrants who are in jail for violating immigration laws.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

I don't care about your mental gymnastics. If you want to pretend like this study doesn't talk about illegals so you can continue to spread lies about them not learning English or being a bunch of thugs, I can't stop you. I'm not even going to argue this point anymore. I've said my piece towards the illegal issue. If you want to play semantics games with the definition of immigrant, I don't intend to join in.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Simple, how do you know they are illegal? theres not a list of them......

very basic premise........

They don't. What this means is that the data provided could include the results of illegals being part of the study.

Not according to the assertions made in the original OP

I should clarify. The focus is not about legal or illegal immigrants. It's about immigrants, period, and the data that resulted from a polling of those people.

Other people brought up the issue of legal over illegal in an effort to obfuscate the issue.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

You are quoting Huff, not the report. That section of the report is talking about LEGAL Immigrants.

Again, Here is the actual report

Here is a good gem:

Language. More than 90 percent of Americans polled – whether native or foreign-born – say it is very or fairly important for those who live in the U.S. to be able to speak English. Available evidence indicates that today’s immigrants are learning English at the same rate or faster than earlier waves of immigrants. However, the U.S. education system is currently not equipped to handle the nearly 5 million English-language learners in the K-12 system – 9 percent of all students – and this may stymie the integration prospects of many immigrants.

You do realize most of those children who DON'T speak English are US Citizens right? One of the biggest problems of SoCal in public school are US born children who have NEVER been taught to speak English by their parents.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Because you don't understand it there are mental gymnastics involved? Listen, you haven't read the report. That much is painfully obvious. But then with the logical fallacy? When did I ever say anything about immigrants being criminals? Find one post for me please. I am pointing out that both yourself and the huff blogger both misunderstood the report and seemed to have based all of your information on the abstract before paywall. I think the huff did this intentionally as they could have easily linked to the actual FREE report, but hey, then they wouldn't have chumps like you falling for it.

The report DOES discuss Undocumented Immigrants, but they are NOT included in the statistics you think they are included in, mainly because you never read the report.

The first part of the report is how Immigrants (LEGAL) integrate very well into society. The second part is how we make it hard for Undocumented Immigrants to integrate because there is no easy path to residency for them.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I mean when you get the foreign invaders on the first post you can tell where it is going to go.

My two cents and my anecdotal is that living less then 50 miles from the border, more times then not I am able to speak English to people I interact with.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I don't have any problems speaking English to most people I interact with in this country either.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I worked with illegal immigrants no only for a lawyer but also with the school system here in southern Ga, I did this for 4 years, something I learned is that Illegal immigrants or at least those that I worked with, visited their homes and tutor their children never actually learned English at all as they are that illegal immigrants and move around to often to assimilate anything, they move looking for work, their children have to be look after in order to force them to keep them in schools as per laws.

As soon they move the children are taken from schools to start all over for a few months at a time in different states, until they are old enough to become workers themselves.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

That sounds like an issue with our immigration system though.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

At least the states try to keep the under age children in school, but is sad when you visit a home looking for children of school age, to find young girls no older than 14 or 15 either pregnant or with babies, fathers unknown or no available.

Is more to immigration that the media or the government dares to talk about.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Of course there is. We don't know the situations of every single immigrant in the country, legal or otherwise. Though we can certainly dispel many of the "claims" made by the GOP about them with statistical sampling.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Time to FACT CHECK krazy.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

What exactly is that fact checking besides that Obama said something at some point? Do you know what the phrase "fact checking" means?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I Blame politicians and political parties cashing on the immigration issue as political propaganda.

GOP or not, I know what I learned about illegal immigrants and most of the families and the children I worked with, only have seen a classroom when we told them that their children needed to be in schools as per law.

Most of the parents didn't know how to read or write, the churches offer them help with literacy, but because they move soo often is hard to tell how much progress they get.

Now this is the migrant illegal workers, I know that no all immigrants are migrant.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Are the GOP the only ones going around saying immigrants should learn ENGLISH ?

Nope they are not.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Neither do I and I interact with a lot of people who are of Mexican decent. First generation who came here both legally and illegally and those born here. The only problem I have. Is that I am half Mexican and look Mexican but I do not speak Spanish. I can understand it, since my grandmother would speak to me in Spanish. But I do not speak it well enough to have a conversation.

But, since I look Mexican. At practically every store or restaurant I go to in areas where there is a lot of Hispanics. When I get to the counter. People see me and ask what I want in Spanish. Or I am walking down an aisle and people will ask me questions in Spanish. But when I explain that I do not speak Spanish. Then they switch to English.

I have never been in a situation where someone did not know any English at all. I have been told on one occasion that I am not a real Mexican if I do not speak Spanish. And got into a fight with one guy who got super aggressive and started swearing at me for not being able to speak Spanish, since I look like I should. That I was disgracing my heritage. But like I said never met anyone that does not at least know some English. Even the people who just snuck in illegally. Know some English. Because of TV and Movies and the fact that they teach English in some schools in Mexico.

I think people just see people speaking Spanish. And then assume they only speak Spanish. Plus some people pretend that they do not know English when they really do. To get some kind of imagined advantage to get away with stuff. But this is all just anecdotal and my experience. I do not claim it is the only side of the story.

The best though is when I am with my better half. She is white but speaks fluent Spanish. Since she lived in California for a over a decade. I have gotten plenty of extra free food from restaurants because the person at the counter sees me. Asks me what I want in Spanish. But my white girlfriend is the one to respond in fluent Spanish. People always get a kick out of that and then I end up with extra free tamales or tacos or rice and beans.

edit on 24-9-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join