It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: harvestdog

Limited English Proficient (LEP)

Migration Policy

What percentage of immigrants are LEP?

In 2013, approximately 50 percent (20.4 million) of the 41.1 million immigrants ages 5 and older were LEP.

Hello? 50% don't really know jack squat about the English Language. How does that prove GOP is wrong saying they don't learn it? You don't want personal tales because they are logical fallacies. What do you want? Would 80% LEP prove the GOP right? Or do you have cognitive dissonance?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
All I gota say is GOP or otherwise having to press 1 for english in my own country is BS. Assimilate or GTFO.
edit on 24-9-2015 by sycomix because: Stupid touch screens, always a Type O

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix
All I gota say is GOP or otherwise having to press 1 for english in my own country is BS. Assimilate of GTFO.

It is people that say things like this that do not know what freedom is about. They don't know how this country was founded and built to become a world super power.

This is a country for immigrants, built by immigrants and protects the idea that All Men are Created Equal. We're not separated by the color of our skin, or the language we choose to speak.

But there sure are a lot of ignorant people out there that want people to act, speak and look only as they find acceptable or want you to gtfo.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: sycomix
All I gota say is GOP or otherwise having to press 1 for english in my own country is BS. Assimilate of GTFO.

It is people that say things like this that do not know what freedom is about. They don't know how this country was founded and built to become a world super power.

This is a country for immigrants, built by immigrants and protects the idea that All Men are Created Equal. We're not separated by the color of our skin, or the language we choose to speak.

But there sure are a lot of ignorant people out there that want people to act, speak and look only as they find acceptable or want you to gtfo.

I would not move to France without speaking French, or Spain without Spanish, or Japan without Japanese, I figure the least the can do is learn the GD language. No need for 30 different versions of the same DL test if they just speak the GD language. The Idea that they are going to teach a foreign language in an English speaking country is absurd (as an elective course sure that's cool). The idea that we need to accommodate their inability to communicate is pure hogwash. English learn it or go back to wherever speaks that jabber spilling from your face hole.

EDIT: By the way Ebonics classes being manditory are just as much hogwash and spanish or any others. ENGLISH!!!
edit on 24-9-2015 by sycomix because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ObjectZero

Of course it's rude to do that, but that's the thing we shouldn't be expecting perfect manners out of these people. We, ourselves, don't have perfect manners either, so demanding that immigrants speak only English when around only English speakers is rather unfair. Sure we can request they do that for politeness sake, but they have the freedom of speech too (even if they are illegal) and that includes language and dialect. If e are going to tolerant ignorant Americans yelling about immigrants only speaking English, then we have to tolerate when an immigrant decides not to speak English.

Its just amazing to me that we're having this debate in 2015. Language is a "choice", not a mandate. People learn the language they need to use to survive where they are. There's no reason anymore, I said "anymore" to force people to learn or speak English. If they want to participate in the mainstream economy, in many if not most cases, they'll need English fluency. As far as I'm concerned, this whole "English Only" controversy is about as relevant as the buggy whip industry. A nation without borders can't expect to enforce a "national" language requirement! In my state, more and more school districts are forcing kids from English only families to begin first grade in Spanish immersion classes and vica versa for the kids from Spanish speaking families. There's a real good reason for this! In my state, Spanish speakers will outnumber English speakers by 2020 and if a person can't speak Spanish, they won't be able to get a job!

As for what people speak in public? Yea, I used to feel insulted because people would slip into Spanish with their friends at work. One day one of our engineers, (English only speaker) complained to one of the Spanish speakers about it and their response was something to the effect that he should learn Spanish because they could speak both and being fluent in only one language makes a person look stupid and backward. She added that by 2020 Spanish would be the majority minority which means Spanish is the future and English is the past so if you want to be part of the future, ......learn some Spanish. And.....she's correct!

One other thing.....don't give me that "we got to have a national language to promote national unity" b.s.; that's another antiquated 19th century concept. We all know the future is the North American Union; you can see it slipping in even today where all labels on boxes of merchandise are in English, Spanish, and French! The truth is that national borders are going to be a thing of the past; they will be replaced by these "Economic Unions", like the EU. And with that change, national identities will fade into the history books.

Bottom line, if you're young enough to be entering or recently entered into the job market, I'd strongly suggest you learn, at the very least, conversational Spanish, if you want to remain employable and able to work in the "Economic Union" that will be the North American Union. (I'd add, if your ambitious to learn French because French is by far and away the second most beautiful language on the face of the earth behind Italian and if you can navigate in French, you can navigate almost anywhere in the world).

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Isn't it frustrating when you cannot communicate with someone? I recently had to travel to the deep south and while the people there spoke English, I couldn't understand a damn thing they said.

Should we also ask those with accents that are too thick that you can't understand them to "go back to where they came from"? How about those people with such bad grammar, or those that speak Ebonics? Should we get rid of them too?

I'm sorry, I just happen to find your approach rather uneducated and childish.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

This is a good point. It makes more sense to become bilingual than to be stubborn and refuse to learn any other languages because you were here in this country first.

Worrying about a national language is stupid.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: sycomix

Isn't it frustrating when you cannot communicate with someone? I recently had to travel to the deep south and while the people there spoke English, I couldn't understand a damn thing they said.

Should we also ask those with accents that are too thick that you can't understand them to "go back to where they came from"? How about those people with such bad grammar, or those that speak Ebonics? Should we get rid of them too?

I'm sorry, I just happen to find your approach rather uneducated and childish.

I have no issues with accents, many of my friends have rather thick ones. However you miss my point a local accent is not another language. F pressing 1 for English in America, England, Whales, Ireland, Scotland, well the list of countries that primarily speak English goes on for some time. If you wish to live in said country (pick one) learn the local language. Do not make the locals put up with your lack of communication. To be fair, if you are a war refugee seeking asylum or such than there is a simple solution, MANDATORY classes on the local language and customs.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

We are talking about ALL immigrants. People who were born in another country and are living here now.

how can you do a poll on illegal immigrants? They are illegal, so they arent documented mostly

That alone makes this "fact check" full of potholes

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Limited English Proficient (LEP)

Migration Policy

What percentage of immigrants are LEP?

In 2013, approximately 50 percent (20.4 million) of the 41.1 million immigrants ages 5 and older were LEP.

Hello? 50% don't really know jack squat about the English Language. How does that prove GOP is wrong saying they don't learn it? You don't want personal tales because they are logical fallacies. What do you want? Would 80% LEP prove the GOP right? Or do you have cognitive dissonance?

LEP covers a wide range of people's personal opinions about their proficiency with English. One of the classifications to be labeled LEP is to self-label yourself as being able to speak English "well". That isn't jack squat about the English language. So you are wrong, your percentage of people that don't know English is off.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

We are talking about ALL immigrants. People who were born in another country and are living here now.

how can you do a poll on illegal immigrants? They are illegal, so they arent documented mostly

It's better than just randomly making declarations about how they behave without ANY studies or investigations done like the GOP likes to do. Where are the studies and investigations that say that illegal immigrants DON'T learn English or that they DO bring tons across the boarder? All I ever see is right wing windbags saying that over and over again without citing any actual studies done on the matter.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

That's what makes US interesting we don't speak Kings English like all the other placed. We have our own version of it, that was built out of other languages. English just happens to have a heavy base in it. But depending on where you travel the amount shifts. If I head south I can more French and German due to the history of the area, if I head West I get more Spanish and Chines (really Mandarin but most can't figure that out).

I don't see english ever going away, we'll most likely just get more words added in to the version of it in the US.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Hey, here is a link to the report: Source

It's talking bout legal immigrants...
edit on 24-9-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

The report completely separates the group of undocumented immigrants out into it;s own paragraph and they are not included in the statistics.

It is a political, not scientific, question of whether the U.S. should try to prevent the integration of undocumented immigrants or provide a path to legalization, and thus not within the panel’s purview. However, the committee identified three barriers to immigrant integration that are of particular concern. First is the role of legal status in slowing or blocking the integration of not just the estimated 11.3 million undocumented but also their citizen children. A range of laws regarding undocumented immigrants at local, state, and federal levels often contradict each other, creating variation in integration trajectories across the country. For example, some states and localities provide in-state college tuition to public universities for undocumented immigrants or provide driver’s licenses, while others prohibit renting housing to this class of immigrant.

So basically since LEGAL immigrants integrate so well, we should make it easier for the UNDOCUMENTED immigrants to have a path to citizenship or residency.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Wrong, you should have read the source and not trusted a blog. Although in your defense Huff used a link that had a paywall, even though the report is free on the Academy's own site.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Wrong again. You should have read the actual report.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

Hey, here is a link to the report: Source

It's talking bout legal immigrants...

No it isn't. I already went over this here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is this REALLY the only defense of the points in this thread that Conservatives can think of? "Nuh HUH! This report isn't about illegal immigrants!" Me: "uh yes it talks about them too. Here's a link." Incoming next conservative who hasn't read any of the thread. "Nuh HUH! This report isn't about illegal immigrants!" Me: "again, you are wrong. Here's the link again." Incoming ANOTHER conservative who hasn't read any of the thread. "Nuh HUH! This report isn't about illegal immigrants!" Me: "sigh..."
edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

It's better than just randomly making declarations about how they behave without ANY studies or investigations done.

well if youre making a claim , and it cant be backed up by actually polling the people its claiming to be taking into account, because they are ILLEGAL,

Isnt that exactly what this source is doing? Making a claim that cant possibly be verified?

making fake claims on sources you cant actually verify like illegals and calling it a study, doesnt make it accurate, nor a study

it makes it propaganda
edit on 9/24/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It is working with the information provided to it then making sampling extractions based on the given population. You DO know you can make declarations about a given population based on small sample sizes right?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

If we have learned anything from your thread it's that cognitive dissidence is rampant and many people are professional mental gymnasts.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It is working with the information provided to it then making sampling extractions based on the given population. You DO know you can make declarations about a given population based on small sample sizes right?

Except that the information provided them isnt accurate, because you cant poll vast numbers of illegals because they are ILLEGAL and undocumented lol

That makes the whole think BUNK, because thats the premise......

This is all very common sense, I dont even know how you can defend it........

Thats like me doing a study or a poll on Mulims in America, and interviewing Hindus........and THEN claiming ive made a ground breaking Study on Islam in America......
edit on 9/24/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join