It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I've seen the same. Since I'm able to speak more then one language and understand a far many more. They tend to get upset when I reply to them in my native language english without the aid of translation. No they're not upset that I'm using english but upset they can no longer hide what they're saying right in front of me.

I speak english 90% of the time, but grew up in a home with more then one language was spoken, it was common for one of to speak one language and reply with another even more so when out in public. As I was raised to consider it rude to exclude people in such a manor, so depending on where I am I'll speak the most common language, even if my version is a little broken.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Most of us know that they simply choose to not speak American when it is convenient for them not to.

This is America speak American.

yes I know

Are you this person?

www.youtube.com...

Sure she is my alter ego

"speak American" is a niceway of sayingat least attempt to communicate with us in a way we can understand. we do not mind if that includes using hands to describe something

I have seen on multiple occasions that immagrants when I am at their home inquiring about something they choose to not deal with will revert back to no speaka the English yet they can be seen speaking the English when it is beneficial to them to do so they can be quite proficient in the English. That is a copout and unethical

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

Of course it's rude to do that, but that's the thing we shouldn't be expecting perfect manners out of these people. We, ourselves, don't have perfect manners either, so demanding that immigrants speak only English when around only English speakers is rather unfair. Sure we can request they do that for politeness sake, but they have the freedom of speech too (even if they are illegal) and that includes language and dialect. If e are going to tolerant ignorant Americans yelling about immigrants only speaking English, then we have to tolerate when an immigrant decides not to speak English.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Very convincing report.

I wonder how much the DNC paid for it?

It's sure to turn at least a half a dozen voters over to Democrats by next year.

The republicans paid for it too.

The National Academies Press (NAP) was created by the National Academy of Sciences to publish the reports of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, operating under a charter granted by the Congress of the United States. The NAP publishes more than 200 books a year on a wide range of topics in science, engineering, and medicine, providing authoritative information on important matters in science and health policy. The institutions served by the NAP are unique in their ability to attract leading experts in many fields to join panels and committees charged with providing policy advice on some of the nation’s most pressing scientific, technical, and health-related issues.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

See, i see it more like this:

- If someone else is talking, but not to me, its none of my business what they have to say. Say it in spanish, klingon, clicks and whistles....doesn't matter.

- I embraced it and learned spanish. It is a "job skill" that is remunerable, and it gives me a leg up on my less open local peers who choose to only speak "American".

Long story short: i cannot control others. But I can control myself. If i just have to know what they are saying....i can learn their language. Maybe even, once that is done, help a few of them learn my language (become part of a solution, not part of a problem).

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Next time I see someone using PSE or SEE sign language, im going to tell them to speak american.

LOL
edit on 9/24/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero
yep,

No they're not upset that I'm using english but upset they can no longer hide what they're saying right in front of me.

my brother speaks spanish pretty good, i can understand a few words. one day he and i went to the grocery store with our wives to get some stuff for a BBQ.

as we were checking out, a couple of i guess they were mexicans, not real sure could have been cubans or who knows as we were in south fl that day, came up behind us and started talking trash about how they would do certain things to our wives.

my brother looked at me and we both turned around and looked at them and he said, hablo español, they left.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

well of coarse

but that was entirely beside my point of someone at the door of a house full of immigrants that suddenly conveniently forget how to speak in a form that can be understood by the majority of our country

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Time to fact check some GOP rhetoric. Do immigrants learn English? Yep. They do.

Again with you and the dishonest word games. Nobody is talking about legal immigration. They're talking about illegal immigration. Why are you trying to hide that distinction?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Next time I see someone using PSE or SEE sign language, im going to tell them to speak american.

LOL

then you can club them with your baseball bat

there is a real issue here that is being danced around

how many of them immigrants would decide to not come if they knew they had to speak American once they were here?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

When asked what language I speak I say english, but I have one friend that likes joking that I speak "Cityspeak" from Blade runner.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
What's funny, I'm here in germany and I don't see signs in English... I don't have a press 1 for German... It's you get German deal with it.

Now make an honest attempt and they will happily work with you...

But it's strange to see the attitude most Americans want termed racist in America but is the norm (from what I've seen so far) in europe.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

For the love of god, there is no such thing as speaking "American"!

My grandparents were legal immigrants and they spoke German. My legal immigrant neighbor speaks Vietnamese.

America's greatness is based on the diversity of it's people.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

if you want to know what speakin American is then just review my post history

yes you are technically correct

for the record I am going to continue to view it as a real thing

edit on 24-9-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

more details needed

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This would be a good time to make english the official language of America. Pretty much every other country has a national language.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Again with you and the dishonest word games. Nobody is talking about legal immigration. They're talking about illegal immigration. Why are you trying to hide that distinction?

I'm not trying to hide anything. I've already addressed this nonsense. You are like the 4th or 5th person who tried to point that out and you are just as wrong as all the other people who did it. Go read the whole thread.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
This would be a good time to make english the official language of America. Pretty much every other country has a national language.

Unnecessary. Let people speak the language they want to speak.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

See, i see it more like this:

- If someone else is talking, but not to me, its none of my business what they have to say. Say it in spanish, klingon, clicks and whistles....doesn't matter.

- I embraced it and learned spanish. It is a "job skill" that is remunerable, and it gives me a leg up on my less open local peers who choose to only speak "American".

Long story short: i cannot control others. But I can control myself. If i just have to know what they are saying....i can learn their language. Maybe even, once that is done, help a few of them learn my language (become part of a solution, not part of a problem).

Bravo! I'm glad that you are like this. If someone is talking to a peer in another language, clearly you aren't meant to overhear it, so it's none of your business anyways.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Unnecessary. Let people speak the language they want to speak.

But, but.....that means that we have to let people have their liberty. We can't have individual liberty in a country created and founded on the very basis of individual liberty.

We must use congress to enact a law that you only have free-speech and rights to services in this country if you speak the pre-approved language.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join