It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

According to DHS’ Office of Immigration Statistics (OIS), an estimated 11.4 million unauthorized immigrants resided in the United States as of January 2012 compared to 11.5 million in January 2011. These results suggest little to no change in the unauthorized immigrant population from 2011 to 2012.

That quote right there dispels many of the talking points and rhetoric on the issue.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

Good thing the Huff Po article I linked to in the OP acknowledged that there are some flaws in the report:

The report, which is the National Academies’ first review of the process of immigrant assimilation and integration since 1997, does have its caveats. The editors acknowledge that they need to delve deeper into the subject to strengthen some of their findings -- a compilation of prior research by a large, interdisciplinary panel of experts in economics, political science, sociology and anthropology, among other fields. One of the big limitations, they wrote, is a “dearth of available longitudinal data to measure immigrant integration.”

In general, immigrant assimilation and integration is a complicated process that can be hard to define and measure. The way immigrants navigate and adapt to the United States depends on a lot of factors, like their socioeconomic status and where in the country they settle. As the report’s authors explained, it also relies on a feedback system involving both immigrants and native populations.

Though I wouldn't be so quick to use that as a means to dismiss the results. It would be helpful to have an alternate study that says something else.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

This is America speak American.

edit on 24-9-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
Nice work.

The good thing w/threads like this is lurkers & other readers get to see the truth about these issues and the knee jerk "rebuttals" that can't disprove the OP.

Yes well I guess no one is as worthy as you to have their opinion heard. Now excuse me while I go check on the non-English speaking framerios my boss hired.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
You would really have me believe there was little to no increase in illegal immigration from 2011 to 2012? Your report might as well be made from farts and rainbows.

link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

yes I know

Know what that there is no such thing as an American language?

link   
It's too bad I was hopping for a good report, with hard gathered data and a very detailed report on how it's all compared and measured, not what we got. Not saying the GOP did any better, they most likely did the same targeting.

The data they needed to gather should have been done more face to face. Not the small portion they used. There isn't even a look in to schools and relative grades. matching and comparing their other numbers. Maybe check the back ICE reports looks for some numbers there.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
You would really have me believe there was little to no increase in illegal immigration from 2011 to 2012? Your report might as well be made from farts and rainbows.

You don't have to believe it all you want, that is what the numbers say. At the end of the day, it is YOU denying contradicting evidence, not me. There's a name for that. It's called cognitive dissonance.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Most of us know that they simply choose to not speak American when it is convenient for them not to.

This is America speak American.

yes I know

Are you this person?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
No cognitive dissonance here. I'm perfectly comfortable acknowledging your report as bull#.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

Exactly. You didn't post anything proving it wrong. You just declared it so based on... nothing except possibly personal anecdotes or what you THINK happened. Textbook cognitive dissonance.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

All I've gotten from her article is getting to watch the slow death of reporting. She could have at least read more in the research she linked it to. If she did I'd like to think she would have known better then to use that research paper and maybe look for a better one if there is one.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

as much as i hate to agree with you on this subject your right, but i think it's just enough to maybe function some or they play games with it.

when i had my shop open, a commercial / industrial electrical repair service, repairing just about any thing that has electricity running through it. i dealt with many Immigrants, and aliens of all kinds legal and illegal. from hispanic construction workers, vietnamese fisherman, french bakers, chinese restaurant owners, serbian cabinet markers,and a couple russian computer geeks, you name them i probably had to deal with them at some point or the other.

there was one thing that majority of them had in common, they always pretended not to understand what i was saying until i started talking about their money,and how much it was gonna cost.

Then They Spoke The English Just Fine.

most of them before i started talking to them about money, would have at least one other with the them that spoke with broken english, you could watch the one who was in charge as you spoke and could tell they half way understood you. then you would have to wait for their "translator" to tell them what you said.

but from the time you started talking about money the "translator" didn't have to say a word and you could conduct business with no problem.

edit on 24-9-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The report can't account for illegal immigration because by it's very nature it can't be accounted for. You're asking me to cite information that doesn't exist to prove a report that doesn't coincide with the reality that there ARE illegal immigrants in the United States, some of whom did come here during 2011 and 2012, but according to your report don't exist.

If anyone has problems here, it's you. The fact that you cite a paper in PDF format so we can't quote it easily, the fact you keep appealing to it's authority, the fact that you personally attack people who don't agree with you by psycho-analyzing them. The fact that you can't go outside and see the reality of our country with your own eyes. The fact that you reject personal experiences of anyone who shares them. Any number of people here, including myself, can share personal experiences with immigrants who can't speak english - but that's doesn't prove anything to you.

If anyone here has cognitive dissonance, it's you man. Keep citing articles from the internet like it means something. I guess I will just close my eyes and stuff my fingers in my ears the next time I see a mexican speaking spanish at the gas station. He obviously can't be real, according to you.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
The report can't account for illegal immigration because by it's very nature it can't be accounted for. You're asking me to cite information that doesn't exist to prove a report that doesn't coincide with the reality that there ARE illegal immigrants in the United States, some of whom did come here during 2011 and 2012, but according to your report don't exist.

I nor my sources ever said that illegal immigrants don't exist in this country or that they didn't arrive here between those years. You are putting words in my mouth now.

If anyone has problems here, it's you. The fact that you cite a paper in PDF format so we can't quote it easily, the fact you keep appealing to it's authority, the fact that you personally attack people who don't agree with you by psycho-analyzing them. The fact that you can't go outside and see the reality of our country with your own eyes. The fact that you reject personal experiences of anyone who shares them. Any number of people here, including myself, can share personal experiences with immigrants who can't speak english - but that's doesn't prove anything to you.

I'm sorry that you are being called out for using logical fallacies, but that is how a debate works. Don't take it personally. Go study fallacies and why you are wrong.

If anyone here has cognitive dissonance, it's you man. Keep citing articles from the internet like it means something. I guess I will just close my eyes and stuff my fingers in my ears the next time I see a mexican speaking spanish at the gas station. He obviously can't be real, according to you.

This is hyperbole.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

"immigrants" tends to be codespeak for "Mexican".

I wish more of the Latinos in my area were Mexicans. They are here to work. They work at the mushroom farms here.
The Dominicans, Puerto Ricans and Guatemalans seem to play the government system. Most of them are citizens though... born here.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I see your point. I work in a company that has a lot of immigrants as well. Except the immigrants I work with are from all over the word and not just south of the border. Get 2 or more from the same country together and they will switch to their native dialects. But can you blame them? It's the language they are most comfortable with. Eavesdropping is rude anyways. Even you pointed out that when it's time to talk business, there are no communication problems.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Very convincing report.

I wonder how much the DNC paid for it?

It's sure to turn at least a half a dozen voters over to Democrats by next year.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Know what that there is no such thing as an American language?

well yea there is, well maybe i should say dialect. although the english language has it's roots from west germany, which was spoken in mid evil england, their are many different dialects. and American english is one of them.

here are a couple of wiki's cause their fast.

English is a West Germanic language that was first spoken in early medieval England and is now a global lingua franca.[4][5] It is an official language of almost 60 sovereign states, the most commonly spoken language in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand, and a widely spoken language in countries in the Caribbean, Africa, and South Asia.[6] It is the third most common native language in the world, after Mandarin and Spanish.[7] It is widely learned as a second language and is an official language of the United Nations, of the European Union, and of many other world and regional international organisations.
English has developed over the course of more than 1,400 years. The earliest forms of English, a set of Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Great Britain by Anglo-Saxon settlers in the fifth century, are called Old English. Middle English began in the late 11th century with the Norman conquest of England.[8] Early Modern English began in the late 15th century with the introduction of the printing press to London and the King James Bible as well as the Great Vowel Shift.[9] Through the worldwide influence of the British Empire, modern English spread around the world from the 17th to mid-20th centuries. Through newspapers, books, the telegraph, the telephone, phonograph records, radio, satellite television, and the Internet, as well as the emergence of the United States as a global superpower, English has become the leading language of international discourse and the lingua franca in many regions and in professional contexts such as science.[10]
There is little morphological inflection in Modern English, and the syntax is generally isolating. English relies on auxiliary verbs and word order for the expression of complex tenses, aspect and mood, as well as passive constructions, interrogatives and negation. Despite noticeable variation between the forms of English spoken in different world regions, English-speakers from around the world can communicate with one another effectively. Different accents are distinguished only by phonological and phonetic differences among speakers, whereas dialects also display grammatical and lexical differences.
English language

American English, or United States (U.S.) English, is the set of dialects of the English language native to the United States.[2] For the most usual or "mainstream" set of American English pronunciation features, see General American: the variety or accent of American English that is considered by many speakers to be the most free from regional, ethnic, or cultural distinctions.
American English

edit on 24-9-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Limited English Proficient (LEP)

Migration Policy

What percentage of immigrants are LEP?

In 2013, approximately 50 percent (20.4 million) of the 41.1 million immigrants ages 5 and older were LEP.

Well, look at that. About 50% of the 41 million are Limited English Proficient. It sure does sound like the vast majority are really trying to assimilate. Down with those GOP migrant haters and their crazy opinions which are not backed up by data.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join