It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The report is entirely concerned with the 41 million legal immigrants in the United States, and is not at all concerned with our population of illegal immigrants. A legal immigrant is much more likely to learn the language and abide by our laws, I agree. This report proves nothing about the illegals in the US who are not inclined to learn our language or abide by our laws.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

Are you stamping your feet and tearing-up?

No. Why would you ask that?

There is a "study" to support anything and any side of a debate.

That's possible. If that's true, can you provide a study that counters the one in the OP? I'd like to compare the two.

The country is in trouble and we have an obvious immigration problem

Not really. The only problem we have in regards to immigration is that too many people are exposed to propaganda and are led to believe it's a problem.

so cry all you want but you will not get much support until later when the slackers wake up.

It's not my OP and I don't give a damn about "support".

I'm confused by your post. It seems very defensive and emotional. Does this study bother you in that it may invalidate the talking points and rhetoric you believe in?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Nice work.

The good thing w/threads like this is lurkers & other readers get to see the truth about these issues and the knee jerk "rebuttals" that can't disprove the OP.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

“across all measurable outcomes, integration increases over time, with immigrants becoming more like the native-born with more time in the country, and with the second and third generations becoming more like other native-born Americans than their parents were.”

Over Time.
2nd and 3rd generations.
I'm sure Legal immigrants learn English, they have to, it's part of the Legal process. Illegals come in and head to established neighborhoods where they know they won't have to learn English or as little as possible, to get by. no habla ingles is not just a meme. I've met people in Texas who have been in the U.S. for years and speak very little English. I met a whole crew of construction workers, building a house in my sisters neighborhood, and Not One of them spoke English. Here where I live, a immigrant child came to school not knowing the language and the teachers were told to learn some Spanish, so she could "get by". When my daughter told me that, I was speechless. Send a kid to an English speaking school, not knowing how to communicate, but expect everyone else to conform to their language and ways.
Welcome to PC America.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well I am specifically pointing out the GOP candidates that are making these claims. The voters on the streets with these opinions is a different story.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

So posting big numbers with no context is your rebuttal? I gotta hand it to you, at least you ATTEMPTED a rebuttal with some actual facts and opinions instead of the deflective rhetoric I've seen from other posters.

The problem with your numbers is that they are presented in a vacuum without anything to compare them too. Not to mention, your two accounts are personal anecdotes and personal anecdotes are logical fallacies.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Kinda curious how they managed to poll the pickers and such... Since when they come to the USA they really only stay in one spot long enough to handle the local crops before moving on.

Kinda leads me to believe the report has some serious flaws...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I would place higher value on someone's real-world experiences over a report dredged up from the internet that was written by a committee with a political agenda.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It's probably just best to ignore whine posts like that one that use cognitive dissonance and selective bias to misinterpret the majority views of ATSers. The truth is that ATS is neither dominated by left or right wing. There are a fair number of topics started by both sides that get their fair share of stars and flags, and there are a fair share from both sides that get completely ignored. It's not even worth it to engage people who make proclamations like he did, because they can't be convinced that they are wrong.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
First hand experience has taught me that this report is bull. I have been around many Mexican and Burmese people for years and they only learn what they need to get by. They have no interest in integrating into American culture. There are exceptions of course but most are just here for the money and will head home when that dries up.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans

I would place higher value on someone's real-world experiences over a report dredged up from the internet that was written by a committee with a political agenda.

I wouldn't.

Anecdotal Fallacy

Using personal experience or an isolated example instead of a valid argument, especially to dismiss statistics.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

The report is entirely concerned with the 41 million legal immigrants in the United States, and is not at all concerned with our population of illegal immigrants. A legal immigrant is much more likely to learn the language and abide by our laws, I agree. This report proves nothing about the illegals in the US who are not inclined to learn our language or abide by our laws.

This is entirely wrong. I've already pointed out in the thread that the report is talking about ALL immigrants, legal or otherwise. Try reading the whole thread mate...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

It's probably just best to ignore whine posts like that one that use cognitive dissonance and selective bias to misinterpret the majority views of ATSers.

It would be wiser to ignore them, but what's the fun in that?

The comments so far are very entertaining. It seems that many take offense to your OP and are unwilling to accept anything other than what they believe so dearly.

Funny as hell.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

There is a "study" to support anything and any side of a debate.

That's possible. If that's true, can you provide a study that counters the one in the OP? I'd like to compare the two.

articles.latimes.com...

Nearly half of Los Angeles County's immigrants here illegally lack a high school diploma, and 60% do not speak English well, according to a study.

www.pbs.org...

Now we have 8.1 percent of the foreign-born residents who say that they no English at all. But 51 percent of them say that they don’t know English very well. …

www.ibtimes.com...

“I don’t believe that most of the Mexican workers looking for a job in the United States are wanting to be American citizens,” Calderon told IBTimes. “They are looking for an opportunity to get economic benefits and actually thinking when they are leaving [Mexico] what will be the way in which they can go back to their own home.”

Shall I keep going?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

No I read the summary of the report. It's specifically concerned about the 41 million legal immigrants in the United States. It's not concerned about illegal immigrants.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I would quote it, but it's a PDF and I would have to go through great pains to do that, which I'm not.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

No I read the summary of the report. It's specifically concerned about the 41 million legal immigrants in the United States. It's not concerned about illegal immigrants.

Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States

In 2013, approximately 41.3 million immigrants lived in the United States, an all-time high for a nation historically built on immigration.

In 2013, close to 47 percent of immigrants (19.3 million) were naturalized U.S. citizens. The remaining 53 percent (22.1 million) included lawful permanent residents, unauthorized immigrants, and legal residents on temporary visas, such as students and temporary workers.

According to DHS’ Office of Immigration Statistics (OIS), an estimated 11.4 million unauthorized immigrants resided in the United States as of January 2012 compared to 11.5 million in January 2011. These results suggest little to no change in the unauthorized immigrant population from 2011 to 2012.

Here, this is from the description in the report (Source):

Today, the 41 million immigrants in the United States represent 13.1 percent of the U.S. population. The U.S.-born children of immigrants, the second generation, represent another 37.1 million people, or 12 percent of the population. Thus, together the first and second generations account for one out of four members of the U.S. population. Whether they are successfully integrating is therefore a pressing and important question. Are new immigrants and their children being well integrated into American society, within and across generations? Do current policies and practices facilitate their integration? How is American society being transformed by the millions of immigrants who have arrived in recent decades?

In other words, you are wrong. That immigration number DOES include illegal immigrants.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Interesting caveat in those sources. They do not speak English "well". Define "well". I know many Americans that do not speak English very "well"

“I don’t believe that most of the Mexican workers looking for a job in the United States are wanting to be American citizens,” Calderon told IBTimes. “They are looking for an opportunity to get economic benefits and actually thinking when they are leaving [Mexico] what will be the way in which they can go back to their own home.”

That's not a study. That's opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

The report tries to cover both illegal and legal, but it fails to do so. The report itself states when surveyed the none returned surveyed where marked as the illegal group. Since they never got anything back from them, this data on illegal never got gathered.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Most of us know that they simply choose to not speak American when it is convenient for them not to.

This is America speak American.

yes I know

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join