It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Gothmog
1) - Legal immigrants have to know English . Only illegal ones dont
2) If this is the case why is EVERYTHING in English/Spanish ?
3) My favorite article on immigration
DNC chair: Republicans think illegal immigration should be illegal, or something

Thank you , most intelligent Debbie for all the laughs over the years....

Because it takes TIME to learn a new language. Did you miss the part I bolded in the OP? Do you honestly think it makes good business sense to just not let a segment of the population be able to communicate with you just because they haven't fully learned the local language yet?

Once more with added

1) - Legal immigrants have to know English . Only illegal ones dont

Per Immigration and Naturalization LAWS
Uhhh , before immigrating to the US.....and just to really get you going the test HAS to be given and taken in what ? ENGLISH

Most US citizens know this. ALL legal immigrants do....

edit on 24-9-2015 by Gothmog because: add

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Who cares? Illegal immigrants are still learning English too regardless of the requirements legal immigrants have to go through.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Who cares? Illegal immigrants are still learning English too regardless of the requirements legal immigrants have to go through.

Who cares? Illegal immigrants are still learning English

See something WRONG in that statement ? I did

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

No, it's irrelevant to the discussion. This isn't about illegal versus legal. It's about the claims the GOP makes about immigrants (legal or illegal) and if they are true or not. They aren't true. Stop trying to change the discussion to something irrelevant. If you don't understand what we are talking about, then go back and reread the OP.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

They know what the OP is about. It's just that they cannot accept it because of what they have been constantly fed in the propaganda and this is just the knee-jerk reaction to the info you provided.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Agreed, and you know whats really funny? The children of both legal and illegal immigrants can learn the fundamental syntax of English in about 4 months.....I'm sure all contributors to this thread will agree that children learn language extremely quickly - the younger the quicker.

So, whilst we all bitch about the "immigrants" (subconsciously we picture adults mainly), the wheels are already in motion for the next generation of Americans (legal citizens or otherwise) to take the helm.

These are the cold hard facts.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Agreed. No matter what any person in this thread says about illegal or legal immigrants, they cannot refute this bit of the study whatsoever:

The research concludes that “across all measurable outcomes, integration increases over time, with immigrants becoming more like the native-born with more time in the country, and with the second and third generations becoming more like other native-born Americans than their parents were.”

I think it bares repeating several times

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
What was the bar the two groups are using to measure the level of English a person knows? What groups are they test and targeting both parties. I didn't see any details on that. Also at what level of speaking and comprehension do the people they tested have to display be for they're counted as being able to or not able to speaking english?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

No, it's irrelevant to the discussion. This isn't about illegal versus legal. It's about the claims the GOP makes about immigrants (legal or illegal) and if they are true or not. They aren't true. Stop trying to change the discussion to something irrelevant. If you don't understand what we are talking about, then go back and reread the OP.

Stop trying to change the discussion to something irrelevant

Who did ? Every post i made is stating about immigrants learning English . Every one...go back and read
Standard tactic when losing a debate. Accuse the opponent of straying from the subject...

edit on 24-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

You may have to buy access to the report to learn that information. It is linked to in the article, but it is a bit expensive.

link   
Well the thing is it doesn't really matter, they do these things to rouse the rabble to indignation. It's all hate propaganda to create a base. It's like their rhetoric about welfare mothers. Anybody who has raised a child knows you can't make money by having a child. The cost of raising a child far exceeds only government allowance you get for the child. People are so stupid.

link   

Then you don't have a point, because I already proved you wrong when I wrote the OP. No matter what you say about immigrants, they are all learning English.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Then you don't have a point, because I already proved you wrong when I wrote the OP.

Another tactic when losing a debate? With the above being said from you , you have ran out of material...now just stating how right you are....
Thank you for playing the game , but you are all out of tokens.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Someone needs to come to Berks County, PA and do a survey.
The County Seat, Reading is 58% Latino and very few of them seem to speak English fluently.
One of our employees at my job is Puerto Rican and has been living in Berks County for over thirty years. He can not read or write in English. He speaks English, but is difficult to understand. He told me that he is the only one in his family of 12 siblings that speaks any English.... they have all been here for over thirty years.
I know, everyone will say... 'That's anecdotal.' Folks, I live here among them and I know how it is.
It seems like I am living in a third world nation.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I'm getting real tired of ATS being a strong sounding board for the Democrats/progressives.

I tend to an independent with a subtext of progressive ideals--pro-abortion and Obama's ways not on my list however. So if this is to be the face of ATS, I'll be moving on at some point. The Demos/progressives love to use the word hate to argue against Fox New and conservatives. Like their double standards about the importance of life versus abortions, they in their copious efforts on ATS, IO see more seething hate than from the conservative side.

If the official ATS policy is to "go with the flow" so be it. But suspect there is more to it than that.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

"immigrants" tends to be codespeak for "Mexican".

Personal experience: it is pretty awesome to know someone and watch their ability to speak English flourish. Slowly, over months the vocabulary grows. Maybe after a couple of years you are finally seeing them fully conversational and with an accent. One lady in particular, being a new arrival with a Resident Alien card at the age of 60, struggled a little more to learn complete sentences. But someone with rudimentary Spanish could easily get along with her and communicate.

Observation: I know a lot of Republican voters. I.e, everyone I know personally except for 3 people. I don't think many of them complain about the lack of english being spoken by our friends from the south. It seems rather broad brush and more like an attempt to over politicize. Obama is leaving office, and that drum leading the chant of "RACISTS!" doesn't show any signs of letting up.

I know its the mudpit. Sorry for not being more rude. Ill try harder next time.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

a reply to: SlapMonkey

No, the report actually doesn't make a distinction between illegal or legal immigrants. It just analyzed them all. It found that across the board, this holds true regardless if they are here legally or not.

But this “immigrant crime wave” is a myth, according to this week’s report. Researchers found that crime rates in immigrant communities are much lower than national averages. Immigrants are “much less likely” to commit crimes, and communities with high immigrant populations have lower crime rates than “comparable non-immigrant neighborhoods.” Additionally, immigrants have lower rates of incarceration than the average population, even after including immigrants who are in jail for violating immigration laws.

All the facts for crime statistics in "sanctuary cities" that house illegals are a myth eh? That's good to know! We can tell all the 8,000+ victims that their rape, robbery, and murder were all made up by the evil GOP. They will be so relieved! They probably won't even care that violent illegal aliens were arrested and then released later only to commit violent crimes again.

www.washingtonexaminer.com...
[url]http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/13/report-sanctuary-cities-released-some-8000-illegal-aliens-with-criminal-records-this-year[/url ]

These kids will definitely be relieved.

• Los Angeles, Calif.: On April 6, 2014, an alien was arrested for "felony continuous sexual abuse of a child". After release, the alien was arrested for "felony sodomy of a victim under 10 years old".

• San Mateo County, Calif.: On February 16, 2014, an individual was arrested for "felony lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14". In addition, the alien had a prior DUI conviction. Following release by the local agency, the individual was arrested for three counts of "felony oral copulation with a victim under 10" and two counts of "felony lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14".

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

a reply to: introvert

Some are straight up just ignoring the information presented in the OP and repeating the same rhetoric that just got disproved.

Are you stamping your feet and tearing-up? There is a "study" to support anything and any side of a debate. The country is in trouble and we have an obvious immigration problem, so cry all you want but you will not get much support until later when the slackers wake up.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Man that is pricey for a paper copy. But the have a PDF version like most papers and studies.

Here is the data samples the piled. It's a bit of long read, and a lot of repeating like most data lists.
Data of Immigrants

It's not a very good sampling. The sources they pooled required a written reply for most of it. Also they never state in their chapter list a target study of a someones ability to speak english. They got a lot of their numbers off of finance reports.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I'm getting real tired of ATS being a strong sounding board for the Democrats/progressives.

Hardly. As of now this thread has nine flags. If this was an anti-Obama/anti-Hillary thread it would already be many pages longer and with many more stars and flags. The NeoCons run in gangs on this site, The Lefties are hit and miss and we do not always agree with each other.

So if this is to be the face of ATS, I'll be moving on at some point.

You obviously don't pay attention to what gets the most "air time" around here.

The Demos/progressives love to use the word hate to argue against Fox New and conservatives.

Yup, it's very fitting. They tend to spread a lot of hate. Want to see it in action? Go check out an immigration thread or abortion thread on this site.

Like their double standards about the importance of life versus abortions

Both sides have their double standards, including on the abortion issue. How does that apply to only the Left and not the Right?

IO see more seething hate than from the conservative side.

Have an example? What topics do the Left get so outraged that they are just bursting with hate over?

If the official ATS policy is to "go with the flow" so be it. But suspect there is more to it than that.

Yes, it's a conspiracy.

edit on 24-9-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join