It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Time to fact check some GOP rhetoric. Do immigrants learn English? Yep. They do.

GOP Candidates Say Immigrants Don’t Learn English, But Report Proves Them Wrong

WASHINGTON -- The Republican presidential candidates frequently employ harsh rhetoric to discuss immigration, accusing immigrants of failing to assimilate and integrate into American society. But an extensive report released this week debunks their claims, finding that immigrants make great efforts to learn English and adopt American values and customs, and that subsequent generations are entirely integrated.

So basically saying that immigrants don't learn English is rather racist, because mostly they DO try to integrate. I wonder if the GOP's constant whining about it has something to do with it?

The report, published on Monday by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine and compiled by a panel of prominent immigration scholars, defines integration as the process by which immigrants "become American," adopting similar values and customs of native-born Americans and achieving similar socioeconomic outcomes. The research concludes that “across all measurable outcomes, integration increases over time, with immigrants becoming more like the native-born with more time in the country, and with the second and third generations becoming more like other native-born Americans than their parents were.”

I mean this should be obvious. This isn't the first time America has had immigration waves from people who look different than locals. Try looking into a crowd and pick out an Irish person or an Italian person. It's tough. That's because subsequent generations after the initial waves now behave how we consider to be American. They've adopted OUR culture. Though each of those cultures has bolstered our own culture with their own unique things that we've fallen in love with. Pasta for instance. Why should Mexicans or Muslims behave any differently? It wouldn't be because they have a darker skin tone would it?

Among its specific findings: immigrants and their children do learn English -- and, contrary to GOP candidates' scaremongering, immigrants are actually less likely to commit crimes than the average American.

Did the GOP ever consider that it takes time to learn a new language? People don't just walk into a new country and are able to speak the language fluently the next day. It takes years to be able to do that.

Politicians frequently chide immigrants for not learning English. During CNN’s Republican presidential debate last week, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) -- actually one of the GOP’s more moderate voices on immigration -- said he opposes other Republicans’ proposals to deport all 11 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S., but said they should learn English to remain in the country.

“They can come here, but they should learn to speak our language,” he said. He then quipped: “I don’t speak it very well, but look how far I’ve come.”

I mean come on...

“Today’s immigrants are actually learning English faster than their predecessors,” the report says, in part because many immigrants come from countries where English is already widely used or taught in schools.

learning English faster than their predecessors

In case you missed it the first time.

Oh it gets better. Let's talk about crime.

Another Republican allegation against immigrants is that they create more crime. Famously, reality television star and real estate mogul Donald Trump kicked off his presidential campaign this year by calling undocumented immigrants from Mexico "rapists" and accusing them of “bringing crime.” On the campaign trail, he has repeatedly brought up the murder of Kathryn Steinle, a San Francisco woman killed by an undocumented immigrant, as evidence of rising crime committed by immigrants.

But this “immigrant crime wave” is a myth, according to this week’s report. Researchers found that crime rates in immigrant communities are much lower than national averages. Immigrants are “much less likely” to commit crimes, and communities with high immigrant populations have lower crime rates than “comparable non-immigrant neighborhoods.” Additionally, immigrants have lower rates of incarceration than the average population, even after including immigrants who are in jail for violating immigration laws.

Yea, it turns out immigrants AREN'T a bunch of criminals. Could it be possible that they are just a bunch of normal people like you or I looking for a better opportunity? Naaaaaah! That's absurd!

What the report does prove quite effectively is that, when making immigrants the target of attacks, the GOP candidates are mostly spouting falsehoods.

Sadly, their claims are nothing new. Immigration to America has occurred in several different waves, with people arriving from different areas of the world. During each wave, anti-immigrant lawmakers accused the new arrivals of causing more crime and presenting a threat to native populations. They also lamented that immigrants were not learning English, and consequently, there have been perennial efforts to make English the official U.S. language.

edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Are we talking about legal immigration? If they are in the country illegally the point is moot because they aren't immigrants they are foreign invaders who illegally entered the country.

No one has issues with legal immigrants.
edit on 2015/9/24 by Metallicus because: fixed autocorrect

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

"Grand Old Party Candidates say"

I learned a long time ago that, along with "DNC candidates say" - pretty much the polar opposite, on any topic, is on-point.

When their lips are moving you know they're lying etc.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

We are talking about ALL immigrants. People who were born in another country and are living here now.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The majority of immigrants are hard working people looking for a better life for their families, I live in Texas and some of my friends that I attend college with have parents that are in the country illegally, and from what I've seen they are very hard working people that want to be a part of our country. They speak english and do their best to stay out of trouble, they do not take any sort of welfare because illegal immigrants do not qualify for any sort of public assistance unless they have a U.S. born child.

We need to give these people an opportunity to get in line, pay some fines, processing fees and application fees so they can get right with the law.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Seems to me that this study misses the major point--the people who the GOP candidates generally claim do not learn English or who commit higher levels of crimes are not the broader group of immigrants, but the illegal immigrants. I know that this study cannot accurately include (nor separate from the larger group) illegal immigrants because, by the nature of how they came into and exist in America, it's impossible to know how many are here, who they all are, or where they all live.

Therefore, anyone who is being intellectually honest with studies like this and what GOP candidates are saying must conclude that studies like this are irrelevant to the actual issue being brought up. I grew up in Southern(ish) California (the bottom of the San Joaquin Valley) surrounded by massive amounts of farmland and orchards, therefore a massive amount of migrant workers. While the immigrant families that I knew--and most of my friends during my first 19 years of life were Hispanic--came in legally and learned English and assimilated well, the Hispanics that did not were generally here illegally for the agricultural work. Even the families of legal immigrants would complain about the illegals from time to time and complain about what they were doing to some parts of the town.

I then moved to TN where there were also a lot of farms, and a lot of migrant workers, many of whom were here illegally. While the population of Hispanics is much lower in TN than in CA, there seemed to be just as many illegals and migrant workers around...and every time you heard them speaking, it was in Spanish, and most did not know how to speak English (at least in my experience working in customer service in a mall for about two years while in college).

While my experiences may be subjective and anecdotal, the point is that they're experiences, and before I even knew to care about the impact of illegal immigration, I realized the amount of illegals that were in California (and no, not because my parents were some racists right-wing crazies...they were California Democrats through and through). And it's not because of racial profiling, either--most of my friends' parents knew tons of families who were here illegally.

My point in all of this is to reiterate what I said at the start of my comment--I don't think that studies like this prove anything when considering the actual point that GOP candidates are making. Sure, they may be generalizing all illegals, but hell, if they're here illegally, they're automatically criminals anyway from the start...and generally don't speak English, nor do they take the time to actually learn the language.

And I'm not a GOP candidate, I'm just some lowly libertarian-minded guy...
edit on 24-9-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
1) - Legal immigrants have to know English . Only illegal ones dont
2) If this is the case why is EVERYTHING in English/Spanish ?
3) My favorite article on immigration
DNC chair: Republicans think illegal immigration should be illegal, or something

Thank you , most intelligent Debbie for all the laughs over the years....

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

No, the report actually doesn't make a distinction between illegal or legal immigrants. It just analyzed them all. It found that across the board, this holds true regardless if they are here legally or not.

But this “immigrant crime wave” is a myth, according to this week’s report. Researchers found that crime rates in immigrant communities are much lower than national averages. Immigrants are “much less likely” to commit crimes, and communities with high immigrant populations have lower crime rates than “comparable non-immigrant neighborhoods.” Additionally, immigrants have lower rates of incarceration than the average population, even after including immigrants who are in jail for violating immigration laws.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
1) - Legal immigrants have to know English . Only illegal ones dont
2) If this is the case why is EVERYTHING in English/Spanish ?
3) My favorite article on immigration
DNC chair: Republicans think illegal immigration should be illegal, or something

Thank you , most intelligent Debbie for all the laughs over the years....

Because it takes TIME to learn a new language. Did you miss the part I bolded in the OP? Do you honestly think it makes good business sense to just not let a segment of the population be able to communicate with you just because they haven't fully learned the local language yet?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

It's funny how you post an informative OP that shows the fallacy in the dogmatic rhetoric of the GOP on the issue of speaking English, and instead of addressing that point they twist the conversation over to legal/illegal status.

I can guarantee that every single one of us has broken at least one law in our lives and to get worked-up over this seems hypocritical.

Anyway, thanks for posting this.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

We are talking about ALL immigrants. People who were born in another country and are living here now.

Well the Republican candidates are specifically referring to people into the country illegally which means this entire article is based upon a false premise and is disingenuous at best.

Only people who broke the law and are here in the U.S.illegally are being referenced not immigrants as a whole.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Some are straight up just ignoring the information presented in the OP and repeating the same rhetoric that just got disproved.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Well the Republican candidates are specifically referring to people into the country illegally which means this entire article is based upon a false premise and is disingenuous at best.

Only people who broke the law and are here in the U.S.illegally are being referenced not immigrants as a whole.

You aren't getting the picture. Illegal or legal. It doesn't matter, BOTH demographics learn English and have low rates of crime.

Besides, this definitely still holds true regardless if the immigrants are legal or illegal:

The research concludes that “across all measurable outcomes, integration increases over time, with immigrants becoming more like the native-born with more time in the country, and with the second and third generations becoming more like other native-born Americans than their parents were.”

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

a reply to: introvert

Some are straight up just ignoring the information presented in the OP and repeating the same rhetoric that just got disproved.

It's an informative thread, but you won't change people's minds. Their rhetoric is far more important to them than facts.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

It's funny how you post an informative OP that shows the fallacy in the dogmatic rhetoric of the GOP on the issue of speaking English, and instead of addressing that point they twist the conversation over to legal/illegal status.

I can guarantee that every single one of us has broken at least one law in our lives and to get worked-up over this seems hypocritical.

The entire foundation of the OP is false therefore addressing the flawed conclusions would be pointless. I don't accept the idea that people who violate the sovereignty of our nation are immigrants. They are, in fact, foreign invaders.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Please. That statement is disingenuous at best.

The GOP wan't all people, regardless of their immigration status, to speak English. That's why they want to make it the official language of government.

Can't speak English, no government services.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

The entire foundation of the OP is false therefore addressing the flawed conclusions would be pointless. I don't accept the idea that people who violate the sovereignty of our nation are immigrants. They are, in fact, foreign invaders.

Of course you don't accept it.

But the fact is that the people that are coming here illegally are still immigrants.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

You aren't getting the picture. Illegal or legal. It doesn't matter, BOTH demographics learn English and have low rates of crime.

Besides, this definitely still holds true regardless if the immigrants are legal or illegal:

The research concludes that “across all measurable outcomes, integration increases over time, with immigrants becoming more like the native-born with more time in the country, and with the second and third generations becoming more like other native-born Americans than their parents were.”

I get it. You want me to overlook that these people circumvented the laws of our nation to be here. As if learning a new language exempts them of the blatant disregard of our sovereignty and makes their crimes okay. They aren't.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I don't accept

That's what this all boils down to. You don't want to accept the findings in the OP because it doesn't fit your agenda/narrative.
That is why you changed the focus to legal/illegal status.

The fact is that regardless of their status, the rhetoric that the GOP spreads about crime, language, etc is completely false.

That is the issue here, not your fear of them scary invaders.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Actually that entire point is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. We are JUST talking about the claims that the GOP makes about immigrants. These people are already here whether legally or illegally, and the GOP makes these claims about them (don't speak English or bring a lot of crime with them). THOSE claims aren't true.

YOU are trying to present a red herring by interjecting the distinction between illegal and legal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join