It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yachts and the end of civilisation on land - Bring your salt shakers people.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Hey everyone
, move this if any of you mods feel necessary

Okay, so before I get started. This post is not 100% serious, more of just a light-hearted theory. (But I do not think it is entirely impossible). So please, I urge for a fun discussion with some sense of realistic plausibility. This isn't me preaching, this is me trying to stir up some conversation that doesn't involve arguments afterwards... Kapeesh? (No idea how you spell that... At all)

So right now, over in Monaco, there is a yearly event going on.... The Monaco Yacht Show..

www.monacoyachtshow.com...

It's everything you probably imagine a yacht show in blimmin Monaco being. Stupidly rich people, gigantic boats, super-cool personal submarines and super-duper cool giant inflatable slides that attach to the side of your yacht are all present. As you can imagine, this kind of thing spurs on a bit of friendly "Mines bigger than yours" competition between the worlds richest people.... (Forgive me ATS, for including a link to this website
).. I assume this is to make up for a lack in size in other parts of their world.....

www.dailymail.co.uk... -biggest-party-palaces-world-seen.html

This is all cool etc. etc. However, I then had a little idea that although isn't mind-blowing or whatever, that just got me thinking.

What if, and I emphasise the IF bit, the richest people in the world, who probably are or know the most powerful people in the world, know that there isn't much time left for us land dwellers, thus are going about their business in building these incredible boats for, well, survival?

Is it really that un-plausible. I mean, I know I would if I knew the sea levels were going to rise and I had more money than a small country to spend on whatever I wanted. It kind of makes sense, don't you think? Are they privy to something we are not, and this apparent gluttony and throwing their money about is really a sign that they are preparing for the end of civilisation on land?

However, like I have said, this is just a humour me post, I do not concretely believe this is happening, but it's not impossible right?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
They'll be eating each other in no time.
I'd bet nobody even thinks to bring a fishing pole.
I'll be just fine.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

LOL imagine that, everything you could possibly buy, yet you forget the fishing pole.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Nice theory op. You could certainly live a very comfortable life on these things if you had to. I was in Monaco last week though & the impression I got was that these billionnaires were just trying to out-do each other in the yacht stakes, ''my boat is bigger than yours'' kind of mentality lol.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: paradisepurple

I guess money brings out the competitiveness inside all of us haha. The thing is, the pictures do not do them justice at all. These things are massive.

I have a friend who works in the yacht insurance industry, and he is in Monaco now. He's getting flown around on helicopters for his daily commute to help these wealthy people insure their boats. It's insane. Some of the pictures he has been posting really show how big these boats are... They are like small towns on the sea.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

a reply to: brace22
there isn't much time left for us land dwellers

Thats just global warming propaganda

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

150 foot long , hundreds of millions of dollars and their fish bag limits are exactly the same as mine here in South Australia .
edit on 24-9-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

WHAAAAAAAAT!

That's insane! That has Bond villain written all over it

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Right now they are building the "White Pearl", AKA "Motor Yacht A" around my corner. Some Russian billionaire Melnitschenko ordered it three years ago, costing about xxx.000.000 EUR.

BIG sailing ship.
Some pictures.

Insanity on sea.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Nah. Soon as those yachts run out of diesel, your in the same boat as the rest, only difference is your going going to be surrounded by water. Unless some are nuclear powered but you'd need to have personell and equipment to keep it going.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

Well having nuclear power wouldn't be impossible. They have reactors on submarines? Or am I wrong.

I guess these guys could afford to run a small team?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Some Russian billionaire Melnitschenko ordered it three years ago, costing about xxx.000.000 EUR.

Its worth 560 million Aussie dollars , or about 4 euros .

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

it's a waste of time putting sails on that heap .
With slab sides like that ,it would only crawl .... downwind !

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

it's a waste of time putting sails on that heap .

And to be honest it takes ugly to a new level .

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

Its a disgusting boat!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Did you see it has a shark feeding station? For undesirables, I suppose...?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Or a pool of sharks with frikin lasers on their heads?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
What do you think Dubai is all about? It's a safe retreat for the world's wealthiest in case things get really, really bad.

It already looks like a futuristic, dystopian capital for the elite.

How many of us can afford to get to Dubai to protest or tear it down if they all flee and bottle themselves up there? What are the people supposed to do, stand around in the desert and die of dehydration and sun exposure?

Someday if things don't change, the foundation of the world's economy will finally snap and the entire jenga tower will collapse. You can only keep the wealth flowing upwards for so long...

And when it all falls apart and crumbles, places like Dubai will be safe havens for the world's wealthiest -- their little secure pleasure domes where only a few "lower class" people will serve as attendants and security guards. I'd be interested to see what kind of defensive posture Dubai can put up around itself. I wonder what the road and sea access points are like from a strategic point of view, that may hint at something ...

edit on 24-9-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You could be bang on the mark there!

I really want to go there and experience it. Regardless of opinions on wealth etc. Just to experience such a way of life I probably will never have, would be awesome

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join