It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS 3.02 - "Organic Food" Is Mostly, No, Completely BS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Don't need to see the video...the title itself...Is Mostly, No, Completely BS.

He who advocates this has never eaten an organically grown tomato...or chicken for that matter.

Organic food is never about sustainable or "responsible" growing...you don't buy organic foods at the supermarket. That is a scam.

You go directly to the people that grow this stuff for themselves...not to sell. Essentially...organic labels you see at your retail store...is crap designed to...get your emotional to buy it...that's the beauty of busyness. They will sell you poison and tell you it's the cure.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Have you ever eaten a home-grown tomato that used non-organic fertilizer? I bet you couldn't tell the difference.

A crappy grown tomato is going to taste horrible compared to a better grown tomato no matter what. You can't say just because something is "organic" its going to taste better.

I can probably use organic nutes on a tomato plant and neglect it, its fruits will taste just as bad or worse than another tomato plant that I give non-organic nutes to and actually nurture.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Portland eh?

This whole organic food argument has me thinking of this ...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
With proper companion gardening (growing plants together that help each other, eg, corn ,beans and squash, the american indians used this method, the corn supports the beans and in turn shade the squash, together with marigolds you should have pest free growth. Growing tobacco near your veggies will keep pests away also and is great for the soil once left to rot.

There is never really a need for any type of pesticide as there are many natural plants that do this. Many homesteads use these methods to get truly 'organic' veg. Producers that sell produce usually never do this as its requires a lot more thought and a little more work.

If you use heirloom seeds after just a few generations you should have fungus free growth as the plants climatise.

Store bought organic foods are not the best at all. They do allow the use of chemical pesticides and fungicides, and they are never good for us.

If you want truly organic food, grow your own.

(post by HUMBLEONE removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Have you ever eaten a home-grown tomato that used non-organic fertilizer? I bet you couldn't tell the difference.

Actually...I grow tomatos at home...I use no fertilizer what so ever. They are out of this world. And yes...you can tell the difference between industry grown tomatos and home grown. Maybe I could send you one ?

The thing is...I don't have to think about quantity and speed of the growth to satisfy demand.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Georgia has it's Farmer's Market .Also , some of the big chain supermarkets also buy some foodstuffs from local farmers.Shop around , real food and vegetables are out there.

I guess it helps to know your local farmers , though. No Monsanto crap there.
edit on 24-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Organic food is about 2 things (depending on who you are):

- status.
- ritual.

Both lead to the same thing: ego. Neither is based in logic. The only logic is, "So pesticides are good for you?", which actully isn't logic. Its a strawman, a fallacy.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How does ritual equate to ego?

I grew up eating my mums amazing fruit and veg. HUGE garden. When I moved out of home years ago (before the monsanto v organic was even a thing), I remember thinking tomatoes and cucumber tasted like cardboard and water, not like my mums homegrown veggies. So I have tried to grow my own veggies where possible. I'm little confused how you equate my taste preference to ego?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Oh, so glad to live within the Mennonite and Amish community where most every farm seems to have a booth at the side of the road where they sell produce grown in their gardens. If it does well in our climate, it is offered for sale. Also, there are stores selling meat products from those same farms.

However, I always wonder just exactly how the gardens are fertilized and if the pigs, cattle and chickens are really 'free range'.

Amazing farms, though... especially when all the work is done with horse power.

The largest venue for selling their produce is the St. Jacobs Market in Waterloo and, when it is open, sees tens of thousands of customers flooding the place.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I'll concede that "organic" has been hi-jacked by big food corp marketers, and that "organic" isn't always fresh or even actually organic. But.....

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that food naturally produced without chemicals is better for you.

All you need to do is crack open an organically raised egg versus a super-market brand egg. Look at the color, taste it, then get back to us. LoL!

What's next, an NLBS on the virtues of Round-up? Come on guys!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Just a couple of thoughts....

USDA-ORGANIC is a Federal standard which allows "certain" pesticides, fungicides and herbicides to be used on crops
GMO-PROJECT CERTIFIED is more of a grassroots org that has more stringent standards on how food is grown/harvested.

The term "Organic" is , to me (my opinion here folks) ,simply a marketing term used to appeal to a targeted demographic who buy things at inflated prices. I.E. Their purse-strings are looser than those simply needing food to survive week-to-week.

There's a preachy doco on Netfilx right now called "Cowspiracy" that takes the viewer to an Organic Dairy farm. After seeing how that milk is harvested and the cows are treated, it's comes off as closer to an industrial farm rather than Farmer Brown's Cow Pasture...

It's all about choice folks but before treating a slogan like a religion, do a little research. Bottom line for me = grow your own, then there's no question about how it comes to be :-)
edit on 24-9-2015 by TXRabbit because: speling/grammur

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

What's next, an NLBS on the virtues of Round-up? Come on guys!

Actually...they sort of did that one already. I'm really amazed at the amount of so called "educated" people that support this nonsense.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

quality food is better 100%.
a reply to: onequestion

Agree. But who decides the standard for what is "better" food and, specifically better for YOU??

The mind.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

thinking tomatoes and cucumber tasted like cardboard and water

exactly how they taste in a store near you. If one never tried the homegrown tomato vs the industrial one...one doesn't know what he/she is talking about. I'm guessing the guys at NLBS grew up in Manhattan.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Needless to say, this episode was a joke and NLBS should of used time and energy in something they can prove as bullsh*.

Huge fail this time guys, but still look forward to your next episode.

Just stick with the obvious facts next time eh? One person doesn't speak for the world and it's diversity

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

The eggs!!

In the states its weird how "white" eggs are from the store. It freaked me out when I moved here.
But we use use yummy farm eggs now, lots of poop and dirt on the brown egg shell and the deep yellow/orange of the yolk is like I was use to at home.

We had store eggs in oz that I use to think were "white" compared to farm eggs, but nothing like the fluorescent eggs in the supermarkets here.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How does ritual equate to ego?

I grew up eating my mums amazing fruit and veg. HUGE garden. When I moved out of home years ago (before the monsanto v organic was even a thing), I remember thinking tomatoes and cucumber tasted like cardboard and water, not like my mums homegrown veggies. So I have tried to grow my own veggies where possible. I'm little confused how you equate my taste preference to ego?

Ritual only equates to ego when it is used as a weapon to tell others how their own rituals are wrong. The religion of food.

Its ok to inform me that I am mistaken. Another thing entirely to have a knee jerk emotional response that tries to insinuate a limited capacity for understanding, or that I am on someones payroll. Not you and me...but the first several replies and Joe.

I touched on this in a discussion on Bernie Sanders that I think you were audience to...but whenever I see people become emotionally invested in the righteousness of their own personal actions, I immediately become cynical. That is the hallmark of "cult". I am "wrong" because I don't agree on food. Or on political candidate. Or on brand of clothing. Or on Team Edward. Etc, etc, etc.

Emotion begets irrationality. Being a rationalist, for the most part, I find kneejerk emotional response to be suspect.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: zazzafrazz

thinking tomatoes and cucumber tasted like cardboard and water

exactly how they taste in a store near you. If one never tried the homegrown tomato vs the industrial one...one doesn't know what he/she is talking about. I'm guessing the guys at NLBS grew up in Manhattan.

Actually people do know. What you are talking about is freshness and it has nothing to do with Organic vs Non-organic.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

quality food is better 100%.
a reply to: onequestion

Agree. But who decides the standard for what is "better" food and, specifically better for YOU??

The mind.

Look to the experts:

Cut the crap

The position statement notes between 1938 and 2011, the share of Canadians' food budget that was spent on natural and minimally processed foods fell from 34.3 per cent to 25.6 per cent. At the same time, the share that was spent on more processed foods rose from 28.7 per cent to 61.7 per cent.
Jean-Claude Moubarac is a researcher in the nutrition department at the University of Montreal. Last year, he published a study cited by Heart and Stroke on consumption trends in Canada from 1938 to 2011 for "ultraprocessed foods." These are nutritionally unbalanced foods high in sugar, fat and salt manufactured in a way to promote overconsumption and are associated with weight gain and high blood pressure, he said.

Examples of ultraprocessed foods include soft drinks, packaged fruit juices, cookies, ice cream, salty snacks, ready meals, and bottled sauces — industrially transformed foods which Moubarac said haven't really been taken into account in nutritional research.

"Our estimation is that Canadians on average are consuming 50 per cent of their daily calories from ultraprocessed," Moubarac said. "Half of what we eat is made of stuff we should be avoiding.”

This, I agree with. Eat your veggies.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join