It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Dereliction of Duty STOPS Now!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It has come to my attention, by none other than myself, I have been lacking in giving proper attention to my fellow members. I have been lazy and have failed you all.

I do not know why, but the frequency I have neglected to honor OP's and replies is stopping now. It has to. There is absolutely no excuse for this dereliction of duty.

I have come to the following determination regarding all and every OP and reply by any member; they deserve attention, as long as they are sincere in their effort, from now on, I am going to star every reply I read.

If I read your OP and the effort was there, you get a flag, no matter what. Whether or not I reply or whether or not I agree, if you put the effort in I will reward that effort.

If you take the time to make an effort you deserve an equally sincere effort from me.

This is my pledge to all of you.

Carry ON!

edit on 23-9-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I always S&F responses to my threads or post's myself. S&F for you!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I usually try to star anyone who took the time to post in one of my threads unless it's just totally ignorant or malicious. I usually only flag threads that I think give a good viewpoint even if I don't 100% agree with its content.

So... S&F for you!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

In the past I really had to be gobsmacked by something to give it anything, then I came to the realization that my standards were to high and I wasn't being fair.

Not that I have to lower my own standards, just that I need to recognize effort for what it is.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
So will I end that horrible art of reading the OP and replies and not giving respect to those that deserve it, and by respect I mean the Stars and Flags.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Yeah, I get that, but now I just think effort should count regardless of content. That is not to take away from really outstanding efforts and to minimize their presentation, I wish we could do like a super star or a grand flag for those really special threads.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Are you talking about the online equivalent of participation trophies?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Yeah respect is a good thing to have. I use to think people that starred and flagged threads for the heck of it were just being frivolous and that they should be given out with less frequency. I have seen the error in that thinking and effort is effort.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

I suppose. It just occurred to me and I think most people would prefer some attention and really this is a harmless way to give positive reinforcement to those that put the effort in.

Participation trophies for children in all sports may not seem important to adults, but I bet those that get them feel more a part of the process.

Not everyone can be a star and some children need that boost to their ego.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Does EVERYONE need an ego boost though?

But for what it's worth, I agree with your main point. And I'm actually quite liberal with s&f. A lot of people will claim it has no effect on them (whether or not their posts are received well) but I think in many cases it likely does ..

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Admittedly it's probably nice to be appreciated. I'd rather have replies to what I post though rather than wordless S+F's

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

No, everyone does not NEED an ego boost, but is it really that hard to provide one?

I did offer a qualifier though...

as long as they are sincere in their effort

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Replies are nice, but some times there is no reply necessary, or a reply seems difficult to oblige, yet the effort can still be rewarded. They are anonymous unless someone specifically states that they gave them.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well I mean if you're the OP. I mostly posted in the Short Stories so that's why I say replies are nice. I understand for more debatable topics, while the topic may be interesting you might not have a word to say.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Short stories are the hardest to reply to. Debatable topics are always the easiest...I do not follow your logic here.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Really? I mean. To reply to a short story all you need to do is say if you liked it or not and critique it maybe. For a debate you need an opinion and information.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
Really? I mean. To reply to a short story all you need to do is say if you liked it or not and critique it maybe. For a debate you need an opinion and information.

You can like it with a star or flag, but not everyone is capable of critiquing a short story. A debate, however, is a culmination of differing opinions, much like we are having here right now.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I suppose so. Depends on the person, the topic, and the short story I suppose.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Feel free to go read all my short stories and offer whatever critique you care to share.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&fid=42

I have written 12 that are posted there and I have numerous other short stories that I posted in disguise in other forums.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: proob4
Not that I have to lower my own standards, just that I need to recognize effort for what it is.

You got your standard ratings the other way around, it's now more higher than it ever was, based off of respective for others so in my books your way up there..

That's a healthy respect for yourself and others, I take back my my initial thought of you fishing for stars and flags.

Peace

edit on 24-9-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join