It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin fires warning shot to West

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The thing is, NATO is a threat, not to Russia, but to Putin personally. When viewed from this perspective, events make lots more sense.

www.rt.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

So our media/government are redneck yanks for being concerned about a new base being built.

What do we call your media/government that do the same?

You do realize it's a direct threat to Ukraine which poses no threat to Putin. Conect the dots. It might draw something.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: rigel4

On the other hand i have provided links for Russian base building on Ukraine's
border.. New air bases in Belarus.

Come on....................... Ukraine and Belarussia belong to Moscow. They are it's near abroad as they call it in Russia.

Russia is 50 miles from Alaska, it's the US's near abroad, when are they handing over their land to the USA?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

I think your analisys of current situation is a bit childish, as you can easily see its the west making moves against Russia, and creating problems in middle east..

said that I'm not sayng Putin is my favourite kind of politician, but I think they can stop the Siria's madness US/Saudis created...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: matt1893

I think your analisys of current situation is a bit childish, as you can easily see its the west making moves against Russia, and creating problems in middle east..

How is "the West's" involvement in the "Middle East" a move against Russia? Does Russia own that region?

said that I'm not sayng Putin is my favourite kind of politician, but I think they can stop the Siria's madness US/Saudis created...

Syria would not be in the condition it is in if Assad did not assume that Putin had his back.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: Xcathdra

see post above by Bigburch .

Yes I caught that after I responded from page one. You nailed it first. Had to give you a star.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
As I have typed in other threads, Russia has throughout history, mostly been invaded from the west, so its in Russia's interest to be strong on its western borders, the Russians have had the Swedes, poles, Teutonic knights, french, Germans (twice) Americans and British (north Russia just after the Bolshevist revolution), The Tartars, so yeah, Putin is worried, and doing something about it.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
As I have typed in other threads, Russia has throughout history, mostly been invaded from the west, so its in Russia's interest to be strong on its western borders, the Russians have had the Swedes, poles, Teutonic knights, french, Germans (twice) Americans and British (north Russia just after the Bolshevist revolution), The Tartars, so yeah, Putin is worried, and doing something about it.

The Tatars, like the Mongols and Turks, came from the east. Also, let's not forget that Russia has invaded Poland, Austria-Hungary, Finland, Czechoslovakia, Germany, Turkey, Mongolia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan.... So, yeah, Putin is doing what Russian czars usually do: seek to expand the empire.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
From the source given in the very first post on this thread....

The Russian leader will construct a huge facility for more than 5,000 troops and heavy weaponry just a few miles from where the fiercest fighting has taken place between Moscow-backed separatists and Ukrainian army forces.

I take issue with the language used. A facility for 5,000 troops is not "huge". 5,000 personnel hardly constitutes the size of a brigade. Let that sink in for a moment. We're talking about personnel numbers that don't even come close to the size of a single division.

It will be turned into a major base with dozens of buildings and special facilities for more than 1,300 tanks, armoured vehicles and shells and ammunition.

Now I think there could be a solid argument here as far as concern goes. However, this piece of information doesn't really cite any sources for how they got these numbers. When you don't cite sources it usually means you don't have any that are legitimate. And, in turn, a damning blow to the legitimacy of the article at hand.

The revelations will raise fears that the megalomaniac leader is planning to step up his meddling in Ukraine by providing even more troops and armed support to the rebels fighting Kiev.

Megalomaniac?

This in an ad hominem. Commonly used in propaganda and another blow to the legitimacy of the information being presented.

Regardless of intent, it is still an installation within Russia's boarders. For which they have every right to build. Unless of course you advocate total foreign authority over Russia's activities within their own sovereign territory. Problem being, Russia ( a nuclear power might I remind you ) may have different opinion than yourself on the matter.

Russia could very well have intents to use the installation as a launch point into Europe, and I think any advancement into existing NATO members should be met with a strong response if indeed they were to do such a thing. However, to infringe onto Russian sovereignty will only push them further away, and very likely inflame the situation.

It's not appeasement. It's being on the right side from a values standpoint. It's about not being a hypocrite. That whole we can do whatever we want wherever we want, but you can't. Not even within your own boarders.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: GD21D

Assuming the figures are correct, and that Putin plans to stage 1,300 tanks there, one should compare that with Ukraine's 2,800 tanks. Source. This base is not defensive, it is intended to frighten Ukraine.
edit on 24-9-2015 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Looks like things are heating up for ISIL. I doubt the US will join forces with Russia as they are most likely embeded with various factions of rebels against the Assad government. Meaning they may be getting bombed along with the rebels/ISIL/various terrorist factions throught Syria. Its looking like its going to be a long war, one we wont be seeing the end to for some time.

news.yahoo.com...
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin is preparing for unilateral air strikes against Islamic State in Syria if the United States rejects his proposal to join forces, Bloomberg reported on Wednesday, citing two people familiar with the matter.

Russia has increased its military presence inside Syria and its arms supplies to the Syrian army as it steps up support of longtime ally President Bashar al-Assad, drawing warnings of further destabilization from Western countries that oppose Assad.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

You are quoting the Express as a reliable source FFS?

Americants should stop meddling in affairs that don't concern them and worry about the next lunatic about to be installed in the White House

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Assuming the figures are correct, and that Putin plans to stage 1,300 tanks there, one should compare that with Ukraine's 2,800 tanks.

We can assume all kinds of things. The Russians can assume all kinds of things as well. See how that works?

This base is not defensive, it is intended to frighten Ukraine.

This is another assumption. Refer to the response above.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I disagree. This base will allow instant deployment of tanks, infantry, artillery, etc. The closer you are to your enemy the better because your reinforcement time is vital. And yes if they were going to war with Europe it makes even more sense because Europe will have much more of a travel time. It's easy to get intelligence with time and with time comes strategy. Let's say Europe arranged to send 2000 tanks to spearhead this offensive, it will take a month at least and there you will have many opportunities to disable the fleet before it gets close. Just IMO. Russia isn't #ing around with ISIS there gonna slaughter them.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

At least I am up front about my assumptions. Some people state their assumptions as fact.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
On a side note I am curious how many Russian soldiers killed in Ukraine will now be listed as being killed in Syria? I also wonder if Putin will use Syria as an excuse to escalate Russian military forces in Ukraine now that he has a convenient excuse should military members be killed.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

But he would put both operations at stake because Russia can't fight multiple fronts like the US. Unless they have some secret weapon in their bag I don't see this a possibility while I still see them being prepared to a flank attack.

For the kill log Putin has set rules that can postpone any death count indefinetly until they are at war. It's entirely possible they'll mix that up, but they can simply fake things in many other way to keep the count of deaths in Syria low and try to impress the world.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

you do know that IF the US government backed down there would be no US government anymore right? w ewould kill them as traitors.

@ everyone else.
I have a compromise for this. Ukraine gets to put millions of mines as defense outside of this base on their side of the border.
edit on 15000000pppm by yuppa because: added something

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

The Tartars, so yeah, Putin is worried, and doing something about it.

Your logic is correct however, Putin is playing with fire by directly getting involved in Syria. Potentially taking ISIS head on can fuel more support from the Islamic world's fanatic elements. Also in that scenario US will try to capitalize on the sentiments and arm these elements against the Russians in order to look good in the Islamic world. They hope to be friends with Jihadists again in this manner.

Only couple of days before, the top chiefs of Pentagon advised Obama to arm the AQ and fanatic elements in Syria to topple Assad. This is only on paper though. Pentagon knows that most of the weapons to AQ types in Syria will soon land in the hands of the ISIS which they will use to fight the Russians.

Putin's short cut might be constant bombing of the ISIS and on that he is working by making a new air base in Latakia. However, rag tag AK holding fanatic elements can be dispersed and scattered by the air bombing but not destroyed. At some point ground forces have to be sent in and that can be a tricky venture. Does Putin have the support of the Iraqi and Iranian leaders to be able to use their ground troops to clean out the IS elements. That support would come much handy at the right time.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
On a side note I am curious how many Russian soldiers killed in Ukraine will now be listed as being killed in Syria? I also wonder if Putin will use Syria as an excuse to escalate Russian military forces in Ukraine now that he has a convenient excuse should military members be killed.

Don't think Putin wants to pocket Ukraine. He only wants it to be in a state of destabilization in order to not be able to join either EU or NATO.

Once he has done some garbage cleaning of ISIS in Syria and Iraq, even a little bit, then he hopes to have western "indifference" towards Moscow's any further ventures in Ukraine, like connecting Russia to Crimea via land by taking more of Southern Ukraine.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join