It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know it's a CT site but is anyone else interested in the Pope's visit?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Okay. ..that's freaky.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

What scares me is the increasing radicalization of the far right... and the way right wing pundits speak of the Pope as if he's threat. To me he's the first famous Christian leader that seems to actually follow Christ.

That's because the right wing pundits could careless in what the prophet had to say all they are interested in is profit. The Pope is actually preaching what Jesus taught and everyone knows Jesus was a commie hippy.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
I dunno. What scares me is the increasing radicalization of the far right... and the way right wing pundits speak of the Pope as if he's threat. To me he's the first famous Christian leader that seems to actually follow Christ. I worry about his safety here far more than when he's visited other countries.

I agree completely. To many on the right, this man IS a threat. The right is not known for compassion, acceptance, and helping those in need. It's no wonder they don't like this pope.

Sometimes, I think they're more connected to their political party than to their religion. If their religion meant as much to them, they would LOVE this pope.

I worry about his safety, too. But he says his life is in God's hands. I've teared up a few times today, just learning about the person he is. This is a very impressive and wonderful man.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I agree completely. To many on the right, this man IS a threat. The right is not known for compassion, acceptance, and helping those in need. It's no wonder they don't like this pope.

Sometimes, I think they're more connected to their political party than to their religion. If their religion meant as much to them, they would LOVE this pope.

I worry about his safety, too. But he says his life is in God's hands. I've teared up a few times today, just learning about the person he is. This is a very impressive and wonderful man.

Exactly... they don't like him because he reminds and shames them about how Unchristian they actually are, how all they do is pay lip service to their god and their religion and how it they truly were Christian, they'd follow the teachings of Christ and not all of the other judgemental nonsense that came before.

This new pope is cool.

His little Fiat was awesome.

Good on him.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Its pretty funny watching them squirm because of him.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
What's funny is watching him make a bunch of athiests forget themselves. You guys like what you like so long as it says exactly what you want to hear ... even Christianity.

But don't let me interrupt your little hate-the-right wing boogeyman fest. Please, go right ahead ...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Aw geez peeps. I was hoping this would be a happy, curious, non-political thread. I mean since it is in chit chat and all.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

You can't do that here.
No matter where you go, someone will poop on the pope's party.

He seems like a genuine fellow.
He has a smile that makes me think he may break into a soft-shoe dance at any moment.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

OMG. You're so right about the soft shoe smile!! LoL!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What's funny is watching him make a bunch of athiests forget themselves. You guys like what you like so long as it says exactly what you want to hear ... even Christianity.

Forget themselves? Because it's all an act?

Whats really and truly funny is watching in real time how some people don't get what atheists actually believe, while simultaneously not getting that atheists can still respect (and even admire) somebody with beliefs different from their own

Honestly ketsuko - the righter winged should at least be capable of this much - but anything or anybody that threatens their foothold has got to go. No reaching across the aisle, no agreeing to disagree... they have got to be some of the most self conscious, scaredy cats on the planet

It's just tiresome and childish - when it isn't actually frightening

This pope is still the pope - and I will never agree with him on everything. But, as a fellow human being - I really like the guy. I admire him for what he's trying to do even if I don't see everything the same way he does

Magnanimous is a word that comes to mind

And kind of a sleeper - I'm thinking. But maybe I just need something to believe in

:-)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Right now, addressing Congress, so far he has talked about:

Abortion
immigration
death penalty
poverty
environment

Best catchphrase - "A culture of care". Who can disagree with that?

Very hard to understand though, can't wait for transcript.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Chin up Kosmic!

You are in good company and surrounded by peeps who are not cynical (even if we are from time to time a little depressed)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
His repeated theme today and yesterday is "integral".

I agree. We're all related. Everything is related. Our efforts have to make sense and be coordinated in all our endeavors. As it stands now, our society is utterly scattered and disorganized in how we approach the many issues it faces.

Religion or politics be damned, we out to be able to agree on a common denominator, a minimum vision or standard to work by in moving forward. A goal.

As it stands, we are simply treading water.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Enjoying his address

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I am too :-)

This kind of thing is so rare

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Boehner looks like he might actually cry

You know - I'm pretty happy for him

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
That was GREAT!!! I feel like I've viewed a historic moment, indeed.

just a translation note:
When he was on the balcony saying a prayer for the children, he said, "Give them everything they need."
But the translator just said, "all of them".
edit on 9/24/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
His repeated theme today and yesterday is "integral".

I agree. We're all related. Everything is related. Our efforts have to make sense and be coordinated in all our endeavors. As it stands now, our society is utterly scattered and disorganized in how we approach the many issues it faces.

Religion or politics be damned, we out to be able to agree on a common denominator, a minimum vision or standard to work by in moving forward. A goal.

As it stands, we are simply treading water.

Treading water seems a tad optimistic.

imo there are powerful forces of division, and hate doing everything in their power to destroy the common denominator. They want to return to a period of when their Religion and politics had more control over the lives of everyone.

I think we all know who they are.....the Pope and his message of tolerance has no place in their agenda.

edit on 24-9-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

That guy always just looks cranky.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
He asked for the best wishes of non-believers for himself.

That was nice.

I thought the speech was great. Best characterized as NOT left vs. right but RIGHT vs. WRONG.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join