It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the Muslim Countries donations for the tsunami?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
hmmm...sorry, i wont even comment on something that all comes from the same, one web site....damn , i just did comment...oh welll....still my first points stands..........

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I can't fault the Iraqis for hating us and even fighting us... I'd do the same thing if I had "peacekeepers" on my block. But that doesn't change the fact that some of these governments are incredibly solvent and not giving more than pocket change. I don't think we should decry a whole religion because of stupid leaders, remember we Americans want other people to understand that what our government says and does doesn't reflect our opinions... maybe it's time to have a meeting of the common man....

IBM

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
As much as I feel sorry for the victims of the tsunamis, I believe the US should NOT contribute aid for the simple reason: How many countries will have our back when we are in trouble. Answer:None. Why should we help when we know that if when we are in trouble we will not receive help.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Here is what the Saudis have raised for the Tsunami victims

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
what on Earth do you think an "Islamic Republic is?

Just as bad as a Christian Fundamieltist Republic?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM
As much as I feel sorry for the victims of the tsunamis, I believe the US should NOT contribute aid for the simple reason: How many countries will have our back when we are in trouble. Answer:None. Why should we help when we know that if when we are in trouble we will not receive help.

That's kind of what seperates us from them, we care for all souls no matter where they live, what they look like or who they worship. Bring them up to our level don't stoop to their level. It may take them a few years to catch up, they are clearly at least a few hundred years behind us in that respect.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM

So if your child is in danger of falling down somewhere you won't help him as he won't be able to help you if the same happens to you?

If a disabled person needs help, you won't help because he won't be able to help on the same scale as you can help him?

You are either a very sick man or just didn't thought about your comment.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
A separate news story about a distinct extremist group from that last mentioned:

Islamic extremists' relief camp stirs fears

INDONESIA -- An extremist Islamic group with alleged links to al-Qaida has set up a relief camp in the tsunami-stricken Aceh province on Sumatra island, raising concerns its fiercely anti-American members could stir up sentiment against U.S. and Australian troops helping to distribute aid.

The group, Laskar Mujahidin, posted an English-language sign at the camp that reads, "Islamic Law Enforcement." Its members said yesterday they have been collecting corpses, distributing food and spreading Islamic teachings among refugees.

The presence of the group, known for killing Christians during a long-running sectarian conflict in another part of Indonesia, generated fears that U.S. military personnel and others involved in relief work could become a terror target.

Put down any concern for the welfare of aid workers as "insensitivity to cultural differences".

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahsa

So if your child is in danger of falling down somewhere you won't help him as he won't be able to help you if the same happens to you?

If a disabled person needs help, you won't help because he won't be able to help on the same scale as you can help him?

I won't give one dime to the Tsunami Relief Fund, I'm sorry. This is only because of the fact that countries like Indonesia, who had parties after 9/11, wearing shirts depicting Bin Laden and such, hate us with a passion. Now they need help.

I can't see myself supporting any country that despises us, whether it is right or wrong. I wouldn't donate money to the Cripz or Bloodz either.

I can't donate to foreign countries, when I drive past the impovershed neighborhoods in my beloved Chicago. A few million of Tsunami aid can do a lot for the people of Cabrini green. The schools in Chicago are falling apart, the roads are a nightmare, but we should feel sympathy for those who call for the death of America? Not me.

If your child falls down in my neighborhood, I will be there to help. I would help as much as financially possible, those in our area who need it. Even those starving children in Appalachia need our help. Very little is said about them. Tombstones for cops cut down in the line of duty are scarce and expensive, according to the government We are sending Navy divers to Sri Lanka, but according to military officials, we don't have enough soldiers to send to Iraq.

I donate to the salvation Army, because the funds are used locally. I believe in taking care of our American family first. This includes those that don't agree with me, or think I'm cold-hearted.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I believe to help someone is to do so unconditionally. Whilst I agree that it is extremely distateful for anyone to expect help from anyone and thereafter condemn the helper for lack of it, it is also distasteful for someone to say, I will be "charitable" and "help" you, BUT ONLY if you agree with me on other issues.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM

You're dead wrong there. A lot of countries would show their support just as they did after Sept 11th.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
The schools in Chicago are falling apart, the roads are a nightmare, but we should feel sympathy for those who call for the death of America? Not me.

I am not sure if you noticed which countries were affected by the Tsunami but it wasn't Saudi-Arabia or Iraq.
Most of the people in affected countries don't share any bad feelings against the USA. For sure there are muslim extremists, especially in the north-west part of Indonesia but stereotyping all affected people to terrorist ain't a solution.

Maybe a little help especially in those regions can change a thing or two? (And no, I don't think the money will be used to buy nuclear weapons and detonate them in NYC)

By the way, I can understand not donating any more money because of a different reason. Most of the money was donated to direct-help charities who provide first-aid and first-aid has been delivered.
Now it's time to donate money to those, who are specialized on reconstruction.

[edit on 7-1-2005 by mahsa]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

[
I am not sure if you noticed which countries were affected by the Tsunami but it wasn't Saudi-Arabia or Iraq.
Most of the people in affected countries don't share any bad feelings against the USA. For sure there are muslim extremists, especially in the north-west part of Indonesia but stereotyping those people to terrorist ain't a solution.

I never once said the majority of Indonesians are terrorists.. But I am saying they are resentful and show a hatred of Americans. I really don't care what their reasoning is, or what gripes they may have for hating us. But when a country with the largest Muslim population in the world thumbs it's nose at the most powerful nation in the world, it's not a very bright move. Then a catastrophe hits them, and I am supposed to feel sympathetic? As much as I try, I can't.

Now, the same Americans here, that that are donating to the Tsunami victims and their families; do they fell the same way about our poor here? Do they stand up and defend the voices of those in the projects, or the Native Americans, or those in the rural South? If they did, and if our government cared as much for it's own people as is does for those around the world, then maybe we wouldn't have so much poverty in our own backyards. Maybe the billions spent in iraq, and the hundreds of millions spent for the Tsunami victims could go to those Americans and areas that need it the most.

IBM

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq

I won't give one dime to the Tsunami Relief Fund, I'm sorry. This is only because of the fact that countries like Indonesia, who had parties after 9/11, wearing shirts depicting Bin Laden and such, hate us with a passion. Now they need help.

I can't see myself supporting any country that despises us, whether it is right or wrong. I wouldn't donate money to the Cripz or Bloodz either.

I can't donate to foreign countries, when I drive past the impovershed neighborhoods in my beloved Chicago. A few million of Tsunami aid can do a lot for the people of Cabrini green. The schools in Chicago are falling apart, the roads are a nightmare, but we should feel sympathy for those who call for the death of America? Not me.

If your child falls down in my neighborhood, I will be there to help. I would help as much as financially possible, those in our area who need it. Even those starving children in Appalachia need our help. Very little is said about them. Tombstones for cops cut down in the line of duty are scarce and expensive, according to the government We are sending Navy divers to Sri Lanka, but according to military officials, we don't have enough soldiers to send to Iraq.

I donate to the salvation Army, because the funds are used locally. I believe in taking care of our American family first. This includes those that don't agree with me, or think I'm cold-hearted.

Thank you, you responded very well, this is pretty much along the same lines I would have defended my views. Now Indonesia comes running back to us, I say forget them.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
From what I gather the anti-American sentiment / demonstrations in Indonesia were about the Iraq war - they were afraid they would be next attacked because they are Muslim.

Anti-Iraq war demos happened all around the world - in the coalition countries as well and even within the US.

The aid besides being absolutely needed also squelches the misapprehension that the war in Iraq is about a war on Islam.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Hmm, now Muslim terrorists are telling aid agencies not to use American helicopters.

www.taipeitimes.com...

I guess they'll have to use Arabian magic carpets and caravans of camels?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM

And then we wonder why people hate americans.

I agree that our priorities should be to Americans and our domestic problems I'm just not sure how many Americans truly share those sentiments in my experience the people who try usually just get called "bleeding heart liberals" and get booed out of town for not being "business friendly" and for being "soft on crime". I believe America is more then rich enough to help out the world and take care of our domestic agenda. Its just a question of trimming the fat

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
ok, i'm gunna say it..why should the u.s donate??..we are damed if we do aand damned if we don't...we donate the largest amount but it is not enough because of the 'per capita' thing...what ever!!!!

I'd like to say that I'm proud to be an Australian, we have donated in the last 3 days an extra total of 35million which was raised by a special benefits concert on the steps of Sydney's Opera House on saturday night, & last night a benefit cricket match with each team being made up of members of the cricket fraternity across the world. Not to mention the 1 BILLION our Prime Minister has pledged along with the original $65 Million he promised from us.
Each & every person in this country has been very generous by donating more than once, sometimes more than a dozen times, to various organizational reps collecting money for this devastated area. Once again I'll say it......I am very proud to be an Australian & always will be.

So don't go giving me this "we donate the largest amount" garbage......as of today the total reported for the USA is $350 million. Per capita that IS pretty small compared to Australia's 1 Billion+ .....& we're a country of not quite 21 million.

Who cares if any of the other Muslim countries donate money or not? Not me, but I've found that as of today over 45 countries have donated money, top three are Australia, Germany & USA. All across the globe people of all religious persuasions are doing their bit, & more, to help the tsunami victims. And you know what? That says everything really, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
This whole "who will give more money" race going on right now is very misleading.
When a goverment of one country says they will donate 50mio$ that doesn't mean they will just write a check and give it to the other country.
The money goes through various channels over several years, contractor companies, debt relief, goverment fundings.
Coming from a country who has needed such help I can tell you that it is mosty uhhmmm nothing. People don't get it. Goverment gets it and spends it on bull# mostly. A certain amount is used for rebuilding of infrastructure, but that mainly in big cities and major highways and roads for example. The little people don't get much.

The money that gets to people is the one that goes through relief agencies not connected with goverments and private companies contracted to build destroyed infrastructure.
The world leader in that is Germany. Their aid gets used in the most effective way.

Islamic countries donate mostly through domestic religious organisations and mosques. They often then direct it to schools, orphanages, refugee camps etc.
You have to understand that the art of help depends on how the country donating money is organised, how well is the goverment functioning, what kind of system it is. As I said, it is not just writing a check. You need to re-evaluate budget, direct fonds, etc etc.

A short comment on the statement that Indonesia hates america and amenricans shouldn't help them.
If you look at the areas affected and destruction caused, you can see that it hit the poor people the hardest. They are simple fishermen, who have nothing to do with politics, wars or terror. The little people, often forgotten by their own goverment. I think that they deserve help.

Another thing, also very important.
Bigger problem then various terror groups in affected areas is human traficking. Pukhet for example, was the center of child sex trade in Thailand. A place full of rich #ers abusing children, using the poverty of people for their perverted needs.
Now that the area is destroyed and there is no way to control the situation, all those sick minds are using the chaos to abduct children and women and force them into the world wide net of sex industry.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This is pathetic. Are you only giving to boast who gave more? Further, the Muslim countries have given what they can. Their economies are 1000+ times smaller than the rich countries and their currency is weaker, yet they have still been able to give more in terms of their GDP.

Everyone has given all around the world. Let's not turn this into a contest on who gave the most. Just remember that Bush gave $10,000

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join