It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the Muslim Countries donations for the tsunami?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hi,

Does anybody have any info about the donations made by muslim countries, Iran, Suadi, Syria etc. Why I ask is that on the radio 3 days ago I heard a muslim cleric going on about how America has donated a poultry amount in the form of donations, but has plenty to spend on the iraq-us war.

My question to them would be, how much have 'they' donated?

Doesnt Indonesia have the biggest muslim population in the world? Shouldnt it stand to reason that the islamic countries should be at the top of the donations list? mmmm....

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I read somewhere that OIL RICH Saudi Arabia
is donating 10 million and OIL RICH Kuwait 2 million.
As far as the other OIL RICH muslim countries ...
I have no idea.

Seems the world is just interested in (and complaining
about) making the middle class tax paying Americans shoulder
the burden of taking care of the poor around the world.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I have no idear but i am sore that they will give some aid.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by Elfwood]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
One thing to bear in mind of course is that the people of most Muslim nations have nothing nearing the standard of living or wages of people in the western world. Sure, there are countries like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait that have huge amounts of money from oil but it is in the hands of the ruling elite, not the ordinary people.

It certainly seems like the British and American governments were shamed into increasing their donations by the generosity of the people.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I am really beginning to hate this who gave more money crap.
Honestly I don't think the "governments" of muslim countries are committing enough money into this crisis BUT i do believe that "individual muslims" in countries all over the world are donating as much as they can.

remember being charitable is a basic tenet in Islam and many other religions. Instead of labeling it as Muslim countries, we could easily label it as Oil Rich countries or Middle Eastern countries or Rich countries.

btw. I never knew a country that practices religion or even had one religion, I always thought religion was just a practice for people

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

btw. I never knew a country that practices religion or even had one religion, I always thought religion was just a practice for people

Its generally assumed when 99% + of a country follows one faith then that country is said to be of that faith.

I mean, look at Isreal, its a 'jewish state' etc. etc.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

One thing to bear in mind of course is that the people of most Muslim nations have nothing nearing the standard of living or wages of people in the western world. Sure, there are countries like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait that have huge amounts of money from oil but it is in the hands of the ruling elite, not the ordinary people.

Maybe so, but it's the governments, not the people, who are expected to donate the relief... Rest assurred, many people also in such nations (the oil-rich ones) are well-equipped to donate. If you're really looking for stinginess though, as the poster pointed out, just look at the record of such nations and disaster relief, even in countries populated by many muslims...it's pretty piss-poor....

It certainly seems like the British and American governments were shamed into increasing their donations by the generosity of the people.

No, it just means people aren't reading what's said. The amounts pledged were INITIAL amounts and were plainly stated as such. Assessments are STILL coming in as to the extent of the need. It's a simple matter of not putting the cart before the horse.... Also, these amounts were in addition to all of the supplies, military equipment use, private donations, etc. and are likely to STILL be increased as more need is determined.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nickybbad
Hi,

Does anybody have any info about the donations made by muslim countries, Iran, Suadi, Syria etc. Why I ask is that on the radio 3 days ago I heard a muslim cleric going on about how America has donated a poultry amount in the form of donations, but has plenty to spend on the iraq-us war.

My question to them would be, how much have 'they' donated?

Doesnt Indonesia have the biggest muslim population in the world? Shouldnt it stand to reason that the islamic countries should be at the top of the donations list? mmmm....

You can find some posts with the info in this thread. AceofBase and others have posted donations by country. I also made a post that listed initial pledges, but I will be darned if I can find that thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Worldwatcher says:

"I never knew a country that practices religion or even had one religion."

I suggest you review your history and geography texts, girlfriend. Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran, Yemen, and most other countries where Islam is the majority constrain and, in some cases, actually forbid Christians and Jews from practicing their religion. In the late eighties, when I had the supreme misfortune of spending nine months in King Khalid Military City, we were forbidden from bringing in a Bible and could be deported for even having one im my possession

And shall we discuss the government-backed and supported genocide against Christians and Animists (as well as the existence of Muslim-approved chattel slavery and polygamy) in Sudan?

Shari'a is the law of the land in many cases; what on Earth do you think an "Islamic Republic is?

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
No charity for dhimmis

IslamOnline's Live Fatwa section gives some indication of why Muslim countries seem to be lagging behind non-Muslim countries in aid to the victims of the tsunami: Muslims should not give charity to non-Muslims.

There is no harm or prohibition to pray for those people who lost their lives in that natural disaster. However, your beloved Muslim brothers and sisters deserve more and more of prayers and du'aa�. They deserve your moral and financial assistances. You should share their sorrow and difficult time and do invoke Allah to accept them among the Shuhada� or martyrs on the day of Judgment.

www.islamonline.net...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
From same source:

Question Can we give those afflicted people a portion of our zakah money even if they are non-Muslims? How about giving them charity?

Answer In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Thank you. The receivers of Zakah money are clearly mentioned in the Qur'an. Among them, the poor and needy people. Looking at the situation of those people who are afflicted, one can conclude that the Muslims among them fall under the category of needy people.

In this regard, those Muslims deserve to receive a portion of Zakah. As for non-Muslims, they might deserve donation or any other form of assistance but not Zakah.

Thus, Zakah should be given to poor and needy Muslims. Some non-Muslims may receive a portion of Zakah if there is hope that by giving them Zakah that might lead to their conversion into Islam. They would be then considered under the category of mu'allafati qulubuhun or those whose hearts are inclined to accept Islam.

"It is not permissible to give zakat to a non-Muslim" (Al-Maqasid, 4:13).

[edit on 1-1-2005 by HeirToBokassa]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeirToBokassa
From same source:

Question Can we give those afflicted people a portion of our zakah money even if they are non-Muslims? How about giving them charity?

Answer In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Thank you. The receivers of Zakah money are clearly mentioned in the Qur'an. Among them, the poor and needy people. Looking at the situation of those people who are afflicted, one can conclude that the Muslims among them fall under the category of needy people.

In this regard, those Muslims deserve to receive a portion of Zakah. As for non-Muslims, they might deserve donation or any other form of assistance but not Zakah.

Thus, Zakah should be given to poor and needy Muslims. Some non-Muslims may receive a portion of Zakah if there is hope that by giving them Zakah that might lead to their conversion into Islam. They would be then considered under the category of mu'allafati qulubuhun or those whose hearts are inclined to accept Islam.

"It is not permissible to give zakat to a non-Muslim" (Al-Maqasid, 4:13).

[edit on 1-1-2005 by HeirToBokassa]

I find the above to be repulsive what kind of religion would deny charity to people in need?

Also it states in h9.7 It is permissible to give charity to a non-Muslim (but not zakat).

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
All the mosques and their congregations in the UK are donating as readily as the rest of the public.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche
All the mosques and their congregations in the UK are donating as readily as the rest of the public.

I'd really like to believe that that money won't be going to Jemaah Islamiyah, but...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
So would I, Jean-B�del; so would I.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
lmao

you guys take everything so damn literally. I am not stupid, or uneducated, I know people label countries as being religious due to its majority population.

but lighten up a bit. countries don't practice religion, people do.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yes and the people ARE the country. A country is nothing without people. A map with manmade borders drawn in red sharpies is not a country. The people within those imaginary red lines are the country. America is America because of Americans. Iran is Iran because of Iranians. So is Iran a Muslim country? Yes. Why? Because The vast Majority of Iranians practice the Muslim religion hence..........Iran as a grouping of peoples under one name meaning Iran is itself a Muslim nation. It is not the dead ground or the marker lines on a map that make a piece of Earth a nation It is the people. The people are the nation. The people may be Muslims and thus the nation is Muslim. The nation is Muslim. Don't think of a nation as a mindless inatimate being. A nation is not this but is the collective gathering and cooperation of many people who act as a cohesive unit to live and breathe in the world they live in.

Please don't think I am mocking you.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I thought that the Muslim religion was a religon of peace? I am more than apalled that they have given little if any compared to the rest of the CIVILIZED WORLD. Regardless of one's religion, when people suffer in such a cataclismic way religion, race,creed should not be considered when wanting to give or for that fact have it denied. This just goes to the point I want to make; That is why we are over there trying to make life better to those who have been downtrodden all their life. They are people first and second, they are people. You would figure all the money made from oil in that region would go to help their own brothers and sisters. This makes me sick!!!

dh

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The oil-rich Arab Sheikdoms are too busy shoring up the American dollar
Why should they spend a penny on the needy?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Let�s gather some facts

Almost no Countries with Muslim Majority are democratic. Most are feudalistic to the bone.
Not all "muslim countries" are rich, in those that are,only very few people hold almost all of the money.

Mosques collect donations just like christian churches or the like.
Only because most muslims have the misfortune to live in a world raped by our colonialism under leaders who think like we did 200 years ago does not make islam an evil religion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join