It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Face 'Tough Love' on His Maiden Voyage Through America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

www.cnn.com...

America may be in for some tough love from the Pope.

After a lifetime of watching the world's most affluent and powerful nation from afar, Pope Francis walked on U.S. soil for the first time Tuesday, at the age of 78, when he arrived in Washington from Cuba.

He's assured of a warm welcome from millions of U.S. Catholics... But the first Latin American pope's blessings on America could also contain uncomfortable challenges as he addresses a country that encapsulates many of the ills he has denounced.

"Pope Francis is the ultimate Washington outsider. His priorities are not Washington's priorities," said John Carr, director of the Initiative on Catholic Social Thought and Public Life at Georgetown University. "We think we are the center of the world. We are not the center of Pope Francis' world. He is frankly more comfortable in the slums of Argentina than in the corridors of power."

Power. Ah, what immense power! Military power. Political Power. Nuclear Power. Yada yada. Practically like the US is the Earth's leading superpower, world over. Is it? China comes to mind as far as strength in numbers and productivity, but it's not like they have nukes galore, so yeah.. Pious Pope meets Political Powerhouse! Not exactly two peas in a pod, eh?

Is Obama’s guest list for Pope dinner an intentional INSULT?
allenbwest.com...

Vatican has taken offense at the Obama administration’s decision to invite to the pope’s welcome ceremony transgender activists, the first openly gay Episcopal bishop and an activist nun who leads a group criticized by the Vatican for its silence on abortion and euthanasia.

Obama Administration's guest list offends the Vatican? People are just more open, arrogant, and 'themselves' than religion usually used to confine them to being, no doubt, yeah. But, wait till they get a load of OA's kill list!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I do not care what the pope thinks. He is not an authority on anything other than religion, that's all. This opinion on political matters holds just as much weight as T.D. Jakes political opinions, and Jakes is an okay guy.
edit on 23-9-2015 by FelisOrion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Yep, he's a human, and its about time that even priests/bishops be themselves instead of secretly practicing the very things they condemn to hell.

I do wonder between Pope and Potus though, who has way more blood on their hands!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Milah

You've misquoted, in your first extract it says America will face the tough love, not the Pope.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
thx for catchin that, uncommitted!
suppose i'm more concerned how the guest will be treated than host

American in for tough love from Pope;

Pope will face tough luck/love from Obama Admin's queer selection of ceremonial guests!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Pope will face tough luck/love from Obama Admin's queer selection of ceremonial guests!

So sad that people are so ignorant that they say things like this.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FelisOrion

And all you see is religion, does it make him an authority?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
If only there was a religious leader with real republican values I could get behind.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
If only there was a religious leader with real republican values I could get behind.

There is... and he blows his TRUMPet very loudly every chance he gets.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

My two cents....

I'm Catholic. I wasn't raised in any particular religion and found my way to the Catholic Church on my own as an adult (and was baptized during Easter Vigil 2011). We (my family and I) attend Mass on Sundays, but I will say that I don't necessarily buy everything the church is selling, so to speak.

All I can say about Pope Francis, or perhaps it's more accurate to say the only way I can rationalize the existence of his papacy, is to view it as a test of my faith.

I will add that I'm sad (to put it mildly) that he has chosen to follow the path of a political figure rather than a spiritual one.
edit on 23-9-2015 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

My two cents....

I'm Catholic. I wasn't raised in any particular religion and found my way to the Catholic Church on my own as an adult (and was baptized during Easter Vigil 2011). We (my family and I) attend Mass on Sundays, but I will say that I don't necessarily buy everything the church is selling, so to speak.

All I can say about Pope Francis, or perhaps it's more accurate to say the only way I can rationalize the existence of his papacy, is to view it as a test of my faith.

I will add that I'm sad (to put it mildly) that he has chosen to follow the path of a political figure rather than a spiritual one.

Be careful. you never know if the Popes spys are watching. The pope should had been voted on by the entire congregation of catholics and not a small group of people. WHo are only concerned with the power they have left and not truly for the best intentions. To redeem themselves in the worlds eyes they need to open th e vaults,give away the artifacts to museums and sell off everything and distribute the wealth worldwide to the poor.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

My two cents....

So... throwing the money lenders out of the temple (rejecting capitalism) was spiritual and not political?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

I don't get drawn into debates about scripture.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

how is a historical example scripture? he didnt quote a verse did he? How is jesus threw out the money changers scripture by itself?Seeing as how he did live then.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

By not quoting a specific verse, the Bible wasn't being referenced?
Ok.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

That makes no sense, you said you were sad that the Pope is acting as a political figure rather than one of faith, I mentioned the fact that Christ himself was not above making statements that can certainly be viewed as political.

ETA: I've just seen your response on this to Yuppa, you think making reference to something that is recorded as happening during the life of Christ shouldn't be discussed and used as a reference, and you were raised a Catholic? Interesting.
edit on 24-9-2015 by uncommitted because: as per ETA

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Actually, I wasn't raised Catholic.
I found the Church later in life.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Actually, I wasn't raised Catholic.
I found the Church later in life.

Good for you, doesn't change the point though. Christ is written to have challenged authority and society, I think that would be classed as acting politically. The Pope is doing the same - I'm not sure why you would be sad that the Pope is challenging authority in some areas (not enough in my mind, but I am more sad that homosexuality and contraception are still taboo within the Church) when he is following the examples set by Christ.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Actually, it was and continues to be great for me.

But to the matter at hand.... (and I do apologize for my short previous answers)...

In the General Sense: I have no problem discussing scripture, as the same verses are interpreted so differently by different people (including but not limited to those who are and who are not Catholic/Christian). While I don't always agree with other people's interpretations, I can honestly say that there have been occasions in which I my views have changed by listening to others.

Specific to This Thread: You said, "So... throwing the money lenders out of the temple (rejecting capitalism) was spiritual and not political?"
I can't tell you that you are, in fact, wrong. I can't say you are right either. I have no idea what was in Jesus' mind at the moment.

Essentially, I avoid the "Oh yeah? What would Jesus do?" scenarios as best I can.

I may be violating my own rule but I will make an exception and an example using some of the (non-fact based) arguments preceding the Affordable Healthcare Act...

Jesus would never deny anyone healthcare if they are sick ----> In my personal (PERSONAL) opinion, True

Jesus would never suggest that anyone would receive life-saving care and not show appreciation to those that worked to save them by providing compensation (either monetarily or through services) ----> In my personal (PERSONAL) opinion, True.

But there you had both, no?

The Bible, like other religious texts can have quotes "cherry-picked" and turned into complete monsters. That's why I try to stay away from those types of discussions.

Regarding the current Pope, and my personal (PERSONAL) feelings/thoughts about him.... Completely open to discussion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join