It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America was Founded on We the People, Not Christianity

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden
a reply to: HAZE3

Just one? How pedestrian, they are not all jealous like Jehovah
I'll stick to my select many thanks

Go for it, nobody really cares. The only believers that gets attention around here are christians. Jehovah aint got nothing to be jealous about.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I don't need any ones permission to stick with my polytheism thanks
Jehovah may not have anything to be jealous of but explicitly states he is in Exodus 20:5.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Any conversation regarding our supposed founding fathers has to be qualified first. They did not think all men were created equal, they obviously had something in mind when it came to God, they may have pretended to have this religious freedom, but when I hear the pledge of allegiance and read the money that is printed there is most definitely some God in there.

One Nation Under God? In God We Trust? Hypocrisy at its finest rendition.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

You know that under God was added in 1954 or so right? So yea no the founding fathers never said that.

Plus the founding fathers had nothing to do with the original, that was 1892.
edit on 24-9-2015 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

And the part about all men are created equal, I suppose that was taken out of context? As to when these other instances took place, they are still part of the government today are they not? So not much separation from church and state at the moment is there?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Breaking news everybody: Noinden doesnt need anyones permission to do anything! Congratulations you proved to everyone you are a full grown adult capable of making big boy decisions.

Any guy off the street can interpret the scriptures however he wants. A well kept journal hardly does actual life experience justice, what makes you think the bible even scratches the surface of the Lord?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: HAZE3

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

originally posted by: HAZE3[ But the american revolutionists were atheist cuz you read it somewhere or heard it from someone who knew them

I never heard the "revolutionists" were atheists at all - who did you hear that from?

First tell me where you heard of the christian conspiracy, or did you come to that conclusion all on your own?

I asked first, so it is only fair you answer first and stop trying to avoid doing so.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: HAZE3

originally posted by: HAZE3[ But the american revolutionists were atheist cuz you read it somewhere or heard it from someone who knew them

I never heard the "revolutionists" were atheists at all - who did you hear that from?

First tell me where you heard of the christian conspiracy, or did you come to that conclusion all on your own?

I asked first, so it is only fair you answer first and stop trying to avoid doing so.

I dont do first come first serve

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

I bet you only do it when it suites you to not do it in order to avoid having to answer a question.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Perhaps.

edit on 24-9-2015 by HAZE3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Isn't against the bible to be dishonest..or something like that??

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Isn't against the bible to be dishonest..or something like that??

So just cuz im christian im held to a higher standard than other people with different beliefs? Thats religicist. If an atheist lies what do you throw at them? Morality? Morality is even more open to interpretation than the bible is.

You are right the bible does say not to lie, or something like that. It also says do not cast pearls before swine

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You are held to the beliefs you supposedly hold - and why not?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Because neighbor, I put a direct quote in, one that explicitly states something. No interpretation needed. Jehovah tells the Israelites to not worship other gods as he is a jealous sort.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Ergo there are other gods - the bible says so so it must be true!!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

I believe there are a multitude of beings we call Deity. None are supreme, none are omni anything. Yet the Abrahamic faiths have this chip on their shoulder, that is either from Jehovah, or its their own. I lean to the latter. I've found the Gods tend to not act like the Bible describes a pissed off Jehovah. That is all propaganda. After all the phrase "God Fearing" means to be in fear of what Jehovah will do if you a bad little hominid.

But back to the point of this thread. While it is likely that the USA was founded by people who were Christian, the Nation was not founded as a Christian nation. There is explicit instructions of keeping religion and state away from each other. To do anything else is treason

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I agree. But when it comes to those of faith.......we beat this horse to death eons ago. Our grand experiment in Democracy....as in we are the only nation to ever separate church & state, was hi-jacked by the faithful long ago. They never read the part that say's....... FROM religion, they only read the Of religion part. It's freedom Of & FROM.....I'm on the FROM side of this debate.
Really can't stomach the thought about the OF folks making our laws.
edit on 25-9-2015 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262

They never read the part that say's....... FROM religion, they only read the Of religion part. It's freedom Of & FROM...

Not that I am opposed to separation of church and state but the word 'from' does not appear anywhere in the First Amendment.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
You're 100% correct. But if I have separation of church & state then I can expect freedom FROM it as well. It works both ways. But I do stand corrected.a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: deadeyedick

How is anyone trying to drag you down? Christianity does not own morals. Just because America wasn't founded on Christianity does not mean it wasn't founded with morals in mind and at the heart of it.

Actually, we atheists seem quite a bit more moral than our faithful counterparts most of the time honestly!!

The faithful seem to be the quickest to judgement, and the slowest to charity most of the time....

Funny how that works out isn't it!!

Because us atheists inherently don't believe we are going to a better place when we die. Or, any place for that matter. So we try to make this word better, every chance we have.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join