It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does your religion belong in the United States of Americas Government?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
with all of this Muslim vs Christians crap we are being berated with by the media tirelessly everyday it makes me wonder if either sides ideals should be given any merit in our system of governance whatsoever. if you remove the parts where it says to do good things like gods guide to being a good person, both sides leave you with a list of things not to do and how they are to be punished. my question is "does your religion belong in the United States of Americas Government? and to clarify i mean all of it. every rule that your god or prophet has declared this is not a bash the other guys religion thread. if i see it i will remove it

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: crustyjuggler27

You are describing a theocracy versus a representative republic? Politicians should all keep their religions to themselves or be atheists. The second you introduce religious doctrine into a form of government, you have a theocracy. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

with all of this Muslim vs Christians crap we are being berated with by the media tirelessly everyday it makes me wonder if either sides ideals should be given any merit in our system of governance whatsoever.

They should not. That's why we have the Constitution.

Neither (and none of any) "faith's" ideals are appropriate.

This is, and has always been, a SECULAR COUNTRY.

S/F

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well, some seem to think so, but since our government is secular, and not theocratic, no. Religion has no place in our government in any way, shape, or form.

this is not a bash the other guys religion thread. if i see it i will remove it

Psssst. You have to be a mod to remove posts.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crustyjuggler27
with all of this Muslim vs Christians crap we are being berated with by the media tirelessly everyday it makes me wonder if either sides ideals should be given any merit in our system of governance whatsoever. if you remove the parts where it says to do good things like gods guide to being a good person, both sides leave you with a list of things not to do and how they are to be punished. my question is "does your religion belong in the United States of Americas Government? and to clarify i mean all of it. every rule that your god or prophet has declared this is not a bash the other guys religion thread. if i see it i will remove it

Well, considering US law and the foundations of government are almost entirely Judeo-Christian and has been that way until about 2 decades ago when we started to go full retard with PC insanity, then Yes.

edit on 22-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I assume you're talking about the US... And No. This is a nation of secular law. Religious freedom is guaranteed, but religious law is not permitted.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Posted with wrong account?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Well, considering US law and the foundations of government are almost entirely Judeo-Christian

No. They are not.

Do you not ever read links and sources that prove (and are repeatedly provided to your own posts) this to you? There have to be hundreds of them on ATS at this moment.......

But, here's you:

All The Time.

edit on 9/22/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Well, considering US law and the foundations of government are almost entirely Judeo-Christian

Like what laws? Taxation laws? Import/export and domestic commerce and transportation laws? Citizenship and immigration laws? Corporate law?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: Klassified

Posted with wrong account?

Lol. The thought did cross my mind.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Um..... no it's not and never was a "Christian nation". Please reference anything one of the founding fathers said that proves America was founded on Christian principles.

I'll save you some time. From the Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11 written by founding father John Adams:

The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.

You are grossly misinformed.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Well, laws should not be made to enforce on religion or another. But there is no litmus test I am aware of that bars any candidate from running for office if they opening talk about having faith, nor should there be.

As we ARE a representative republic, people have the right to be represented, in all facets, including their faith whatever that happens to be. And last I checked, there are still more people of faith, any faith, than there are people without it. So what it comes down to for me is whether or not I can trust any politician to avoid making or endorsing policy that puts a faith before any other or attempts to force a person to take a faith or violate the same.

So, if it's bigoted or racist to say, "I could never vote for X because of his or her race." Then it's equally bigoted or racist to say, "I could never vote for X because of his or her religion." UNLESS there is good reason or evidence to believe that your fears are justified. For example, there is a history (and many videos) of X running around promoting the violent overthrow of the state of California and creation of Aztlan, or people have lots of videos of Y at Christian Identity rallies flashing the Nazi salute and calling for the Final Solution to be implemented before launching into a prayer. And I mean real evidence, not just smoke and mirrors.
edit on 22-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Societies form and establish laws for the good of that society. Most societies come to similar conclusions as to what's good for the people. You know... don't kill people, don't steal from them, etc. There are no laws about keeping the sabbath holy or putting some gods before others.

The fact that SOME secular laws overlap with SOME religious laws just indicates that they're good laws for society, not that our laws COME FROM religious laws.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
When Expense(s) Are Wrought And Paid For With Blood, Sweat, Tears, And Your Very Last Breath... You May Be Surprised To Learn... The Other Guy With Religion Should Pay The Same.
But... Here In The States There Is But An Abundance Of Fanatics And Tyrants And Ignorants That Think They've Paid.

If I Could Have It My Way... I'd Make God Clean The Deluge Of Folk.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So what it comes down to for me is whether or not I can trust any politician to avoid making or endorsing policy that puts a faith before any other or attempts to force a person to take a faith or violate the same.

Right. Exactly. High-five.

So - that cuts out a LOT of the Republican candidates then. For you. And your religious campaigning.

Only option left: you're a Trumper. So, you're gonna vote for "I'm rich", then - right?

(ETA: sorry for neenering you...but - if you're staunchly a supporter of 'conservative GOP', then - you're rather stuck. That's all I'm thinking.
Oh --- I know!! Rand Paul! He's your guy...right? Just guessing.)
edit on 9/22/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The right is trying to proselytize the constitution into an all out religious doctrine. Religion must stay out of our actual policy and remain only a civil liberty, the same way you have your favorite sports team, you have your religion or lack of. The Kentucky clerk has the freedom to have a faith, but not the freedom to enforce policy based on her subjective religious mandates. Its ironic how the Europeans came to America to escape religious persecution from the Roman Catholics, and upon arrival as soon as they found that there were people already here with different faiths or no faith, what did they do, they persecuted them. Civilization here started out Theocratic, at least in culture, became more diverse and tolerant, and now the Right wing today is trying to bring Theocracy back where it has no place.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I don't think you read my post very closely at all. Did you?

Or if you did, you and I understand it very differently.

edit on 22-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I did. Actually, I read it several times over.

So - did you read my edit?

You're a Paul fan....right?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I did. Actually, I read it several times over.

So - did you read my edit?

You're a Paul fan....right?

I have several candidates I'm keeping my eye on, but none I'm all in for.

I think you don't understand what I wrote like I do. You interpret it differently. Just because a person of faith advances a policy doesn't mean it is automatically a religious policy.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: KillGreed
The right is trying to proselytize the constitution into an all out religious doctrine. Religion must stay out of our actual policy and remain only a civil liberty, the same way you have your favorite sports team, you have your religion or lack of. The Kentucky clerk has the freedom to have a faith, but not the freedom to enforce policy based on her subjective religious mandates. Its ironic how the Europeans came to America to escape religious persecution from the Roman Catholics, and upon arrival as soon as they found that there were people already here with different faiths or no faith, what did they do, they persecuted them. Civilization here started out Theocratic, at least in culture, became more diverse and tolerant, and now the Right wing today is trying to bring Theocracy back where it has no place.

But do you have to be religious to act religious?

I try to believe in the Constitution, I don't believe in a God, yet I find many political ideologies becoming just as bad as I see those who believe in a religion who demand others think and believe as they do!

Is there even a line anymore between religion and political beliefs? I am expecting sometime in the near future for the word "Freedom" to be bastardized into a meaning it wasn't originally intended......

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join