It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin’s plan: Moscow handles Syria, U.S. looks after Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It appears the Russians are in it to win it. I think Obama will back down finally and stop funding and arming these groups (we can hope).

Thoughts?

2,000 Russian Troops Head To Syria For "First Phase" Of Mission To Support Assad
www.zerohedge.com...

Russia is to deploy 2,000 military personnel to its new air base near the Syrian port city of Latakia, signalling the scale of Moscow’s involvement in the war-torn country. The deployment “forms the first phase of the mission there”, according to an adviser on Syria policy in Moscow. The force will include fighter aircraft crews, engineers and troops to secure the facility, said another person briefed on the matter.

Three western defence officials agreed that the Russian deployment tallied with the numbers needed to establish a forward air base similar to those built by western militaries in Afghanistan.

english.alarabiya.net...

President Putin has effectively declared to the world that Russia intends to fight a war directly against ISIS and similar groups in Syria, while keeping the Syrian regime as a key ally in this war. Russia wants the United States to be a military partner – including of the Syrian regime – in this bid.

Putin wants to meet with Obama on the sidelines of the 70th session of the General Assembly of the United Nations. Obama is now considering whether the meeting will serve one of the key goals behind the Russian leader’s movements in Syria, namely, diverting attention away from Ukraine. The U.S. president is also considering whether he really wants to be drawn into the Syrian crisis, which he has avoided for years. He might therefore bless Russia’s involvement in the Syrian war against ISIS, as long as Putin does not ask the United States to officially bless the alliance with the Assad regime.

The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power spoke to CNN, criticizing the Russian diplomacy calling for rehabilitating the Assad regime that “gases its people, that barrel bombs its people, that tortures people who it arrests simply for protesting and for claiming their rights – that’s just not going to work.”

The Syrian president himself may be an obstacle to any U.S.-Russian accords, but an agreement over preserving the regime could be the way out of this impasse.

So far, the U.S. position expressed by Barack Obama is that Assad has lost legitimacy and must leave. The U.S. president and his administration omitted this condition many times publicly, but this remains the official position that Obama has not yet explicitly abandoned.

On the other hand, and in very clear terms this time, the Russian president has stated that Russian support for the Syrian government will continue politically and increase militarily, being the indispensable ally in the war on terror in Syria.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Russia defends the legitimate government. Everyone else take a number…

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'm just a little surprised they took so long to get to the party. Why did they allow an organisation like ISIS to obtain any Syrian land? Are they about to annihilate the old ISIS, or are they going to take prisoners and make examples of them?

Listening to a report tonight on the BBC, claims were made that whilst the U.K have some British citizens fighting in ISIS, Ruussia has many. Inferring that Russia has many more within ISIS than the U.K.

How could that be a good thing?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Maybe they get to take out their citizens who have joined such a repulsive organization so they don't come home and cause Chaos?

I would eliminate them on the battlefield or make sure they never were free inside the borders of Russia again.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

The U.K did a couple of weeks ago and we called it self defence. I don't believe it was self defence, but I am not privy to the intelligence in the region.

Any way, that would be the preferred method, but we have to remember that Russia are invited in by Assad, any official intervention by the West would be deemed a threat, and rightly so.

I would imagine the West will back down on this, otherwise it could kick off in the Ukraine, where the Russians are really waiting.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I would imagine the West will back down on this, otherwise it could kick off in the Ukraine, where the Russians are really waiting.

So what has been happening for the last year there?

I am pretty sure it has already kicked off. Russia just denies what the world already knows.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I read somewhere that up to four thousand ISIS in Syria are from the former Soviet Union! The Russians really need to keep those four thousand nutter people in Syria whether dead or alive.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Everybody publically knows the USA is reponsible for the situations now in Iraq, yet we aren't suppose to know about ISIS.
Putin is quite good to not blame the American sympathisers for funding ISIS but I think his request, although wise, is mostly arrogant because I doubt Obama will accept...even if he should.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

That number seems a stretch. What did they do,'survey' the new arrivals??

edit on 22-9-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Seen it on RT. They said 4,000 from Russia and ex USSR states. Lots apparaently coming from the 'stans' south of Russia and Chechens, Degestanis etc from Russia itself.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

So what has been happening for the last year there?

I am pretty sure it has already kicked off. Russia just denies what the world already knows.

No, I mean really kick off and you know that.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Smart move by Putin. Everyone has been waiting for a strong cop to go in there and clean up. He simply filled a role that was just begging to be taken.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
, just

I hope this actually brings the 2 nations together in a new spirit of cooperation.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

I read somewhere that up to four thousand ISIS in Syria are from the former Soviet Union! The Russians really need to keep those four thousand nutter people in Syria whether dead or alive.

Are you talking about the Chechen rebels maybe?

www.chechensinsyria.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

2000 wont win a war, there's more than 200,000 ISIS pawns on ground. These 2000 will keep the war machines working, and prepare for the real thing. At the end of the day, Russia needs to deploy substantial troops for enabling true force.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

english.alarabiya.net...

The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power spoke to CNN, criticizing the Russian diplomacy calling for rehabilitating the Assad regime that “gases its people, that barrel bombs its people, that tortures people who it arrests simply for protesting and for claiming their rights – that’s just not going to work.”

Taking in consideration the behaviour of one Key allies of US in the ME, this is totally a Hypocrite accusation (some of it yet to prove).
here's one minute video about Saudi Arabia Human rights.. they are going to have "say"/vote now in the UN human rights watch... maybe they should invite ISIS too...

video
edit on 23/9/2015 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join