It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAAF Catalina found after 72 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
On 28 February, 1943 the RAAF launched a Catalina flying boat with a crew of 11 on board on a 17 hour mission looking for Japanese subs, covering a convoy approaching Papua New Guinea. A radio call was received that the aircraft was making a forced landing, and the court of inquiry determined that fuel starvation was the cause. All 11 on board were killed.

In 2013, the wreckage was discovered by divers off Cairns in 115 feet of water. They were unable to confirm that the wreckage was that of A24-25 due to weather and sea conditions. The wreck will be left in place, with any remains on board. It was declared a Maritime Cultural Heritage Special Management Area to protect it.

The Royal Australian Air Force has confirmed that aircraft wreckage found in waters south of Cairns is that of RAAF Number 11 Squadron Catalina A24-25 that crashed on 28 February 1943, killing all 11 personnel on board.

Chief of Air Force, Air Marshal Leo Davies AO, CSC, praised the work of all those involved in locating and confirming the identity of the aircraft.

“Unfortunately our history is scattered with stories of Australia’s servicemen who went missing in action during World War Two,” Air Marshal Davies said:

“The discovery of this Number 11 Squadron Catalina is important for Air Force and our ongoing commitment to account for our missing personnel from past conflicts; currently 3124 from the Second World War and 18 from Korea. It is even more important for the families to finally have some closure in knowing the resting place of the aircraft and their loved ones after such a long time.”

news.defence.gov.au...

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Great that they were able to finally find the final resting place of those lost.

Now if only someone could stumble over the remains of flight 19.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I heard a great theory that they actually came back ashore and ended up in the Okefenokee Swamp. It's a restricted area that no one is allowed to enter, so they could easily have been in there for all this time and no one would know.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

edit on 9/22/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Nice to hear they have found her. RIP the 11 crew members.

Never forgotten.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Next years road trip?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Haha. I wish we could. It's almost all a National Wildlife Refuge with extremely limited access.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Next years road trip?

Trying to find anything in the Okefenokee would be like trying to find a Saquatch in the Cascade Mountains. Plus the mosquitoes would dissuade you in a hurry. I once lived in Georgia.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

That's when you fly a MAD sensor through the area and narrow down the search area. And wear a beekeeper suit against the skeeters.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Yeah, your right. Squatch sounds easier. Closer for me too.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Hell I live in atlanta, the minute I step outside to walk my dog, it is on like donkey kong for the mosquitos. The swamp is 100x worse. Also a beekeep suit sounds like a great idea, but good luck and try not to pass out from the heat.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Such a cool plane. Glad they found it.

I would love to see one with a couple PT6A's.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Next years road trip?

Trying to find anything in the Okefenokee would be like trying to find a Saquatch in the Cascade Mountains. Plus the mosquitoes would dissuade you in a hurry. I once lived in Georgia.

There is really no telling what is hiding in the good ole Okefenokee. Just a few years ago when it was burning they found some leftover TNT from the tree logging days. I believe they called in the military to dispose of it. Or at least that is what the local paper said.
edit on 22-9-2015 by spamray because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
running out of gas doesn`t explain why it sank, it was a flying boat afterall.no gas means it couldn`t fly but that doesn`t explain why it still couldn`t float.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Hit the water too hard, hit a wave as they were landing, etc. There were any number of things that could cause a flying boat to sink. They have have run out of fuel and crashed before they ever landed.
edit on 9/22/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Heres another one.This time a C-47 in Malaya.
C47 recovery

top topics

join