It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster El Nino could hit Northwest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
We've had several wild El nino and La nina weather here in the Northwest in the past decades. They are saying that El Nino could be the biggest hit in Northwest ever.

El Nino link

I'm so looking forward to wild weather! There has not been exciting weather here in Northwest expect drought and hot.
edit on 22-9-2015 by whiteblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack

I was fortunate enough to have witnessed the types of severe weather that The NW can get having lived all over the the state of Washington. The Hood Canal was hit with heavy winds two years in a row when I was there, then I understood why everyone had a generator hooked up to their house. I cooked on a Coleman camping stove for two weeks one time.

When I lived in Seattle it was not unusual to see a neighbor house sitting in the street after heavy rains.

Good luck, and enjoy.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Yep. I've been reading that also. Godzilla Nino

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
A Cascadia quake and a super el nino...bring it on!

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I wonder how it's going to affect the North Eastern part of the U.S.. The last time we had an El Nino, we had a very mild winter which suits us northeasterners just fine!

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: whiteblack
We've had several wild El nino and La nina weather here in the Northwest in the past decades. They are saying that El Nino could be the biggest hit in Northwest ever.

El Nino link

I'm so looking forward to wild weather! There has not been exciting weather here in Northwest expect drought and hot.

No thanks. Wild weather want not. Experienced it and once was enough. And the drought isn't helping. A few showers is welcome. However, I really don't want torrential rain like we get in winter.

What I wish is boring tame mild weather for everybody, including no earthquakes or disasters. But then the real challenge occurs: How to survive in the midst of extended calm rather than succumb to complacency. You wouldn't think a safe natural world is a challenge would ya? Oh then you got a lot to learn about human nature. Disasters may not be the real threat to civilization if we ever figure out how to make a utopia.

I really do think a world without disaster might be a greater threat than one with disaster. And yet we deserve to have the CHANCE.
edit on 9/22/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
that could mean that a normal flow of currents will not carry off all that Fukushima radiated water from your waterfronts or coastal fishing waters

which could mean piles of dead sealife clogging up all the NW ecology for at least the '15-'16 winter and into the summer of 2016... YECH !

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Being from the Island region of BC, I absolutely love the stormy weather and potential power outages. It's like camping in your own home when that happens... bring it on!

Although, I personally love going down to the ocean during a strong wind storm, listening to the large storm waves crash upon the spit, and have the salt spray and foam blow into my face. It's relaxing.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Be careful what you wish for. Long term, mild rain is what the West Coast needs. The mudslides are going to be awful.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I think I read the ne will be cooler but dryer according to the winter Almanac... & se will be normal to warmer & wetter this winter...

the super El Nino changes the normal Jetstream air current to the higher latitudes rather than swooping down into Dixie so much

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
FYI it's el niño or la niña... type Alt 164

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It's not quite 1998 El Nino levels. But it is a strong El Nino. Honestly, these happen from time to time, and the last strong one was 1998, so we were due.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Unless I have it wrong, the el nino winds/weather come from the south, the usual currents from the north /winds, prevailing westerly and currents coming in a clock-wise from the Japans. In that case the el ninos would spare us some of the radiation, yes?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

1997 was the last wild El Nino here in the Pac-West. And prior to it was weather very similar to what we've had the last 3-4 years. Hot and f'ing dry. Which of course caused the ocean to warm up to a breaking point and started a string of really wet/cold winters.

While I would welcome a nice wet/snowy winter, I would worry that we would also have the massive flooding that came with that wild 1997 El Nino. I remember some of my friends homes were completely under water. I remember seeing homes on the news slowly get eaten away by high fast currents.

Considering this warming drought trend we've been in was worse that it was in the mid-90's, one would think the El Nino could potentially be as well. All I can say to my fellow Pac-Wests is buckle up.

new topics

top topics

join