It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help identifying a bug...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Earlier this evening, I observed this bug crawling across my desk. It's a pretty fast bug making it very hard to kill or even initially identify. After a few hours of watching this thing duck behind my desk, rendering it safe, I spotted it out in the open and got a good smack on it with a flip flop. I don't like bugs. I like unknown bugs even less. I've spent 30 minutes trying to identify this thing, but haven't even come close yet.

I'm hoping someone else might have better luck than me. Here's the picture:

Would anyone know just what exactly this is?

edit on 9/22/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

It looks like a Cockroach.

ETA: I've seen plenty marked like that here in Australia - smaller than their full brown cousins.

edit on 22-9-2015 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I thought that as well at first, but I can find no species that matches its markings.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Looks like a shield bug to me, sometimes known as a stink bug.

www.google.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I think its a roach too, wild ones take many forms.

Did it reek when you crush it?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Would you be able to provide a measurement of the critter for us? Perhaps a ruler next to it with the millimeter marks next to it.

Would help immensely.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Thank you sir. That was all I needed to start looking in the right direction. It's a German roach nymph. I've never even heard of that before.

German Roach Nymph Photo

Now I'm paranoid. I live in a connected townhome, and have been for 3+ years, and have never seen anything like it. I'm hoping, really hoping, that It's a fluke.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Good information here on what you can do to prevent a mess, ES.

Control tips

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Looks like a nymph cockroach to me, a baby. they have a different exoskeleton when younger, darker and differently shaped.

they also make your stout taste absolutely rotten if you happen to find their eggs in your bottle..
I wash my bottles like I'm sanitizing surgical equipment, nowadays..

edit on 22-9-2015 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Fortunately I've never had that happen. I can't really think of anything around my place that they've gotten into; I've literally been over everything three times by now. But at the same time, one never knows about their neighbors. *sigh* The thought of more of those things are giving me a headache.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
That is "Phil"... or "was" Phil.

R.I.P. Phil.

namaste

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
That's a stink bug. The nymph and stink bug have distinctly different features if you pay attention.

And they're not even the same shape.

edit on 22-9-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
As purple said, it's a stink bug. They're very common here in the UK.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Stink bug.
Don't step on it or it will really stink.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Stink bugs aren't banded like this thing. I wish I had gotten more pictures of it to help. It was hard to get a close up with my phone and keep it in focus. At any rate, I threw it out just after I got that first picture so I didn't have a chance to do anything with a ruler to get its proper size. I can say that in the picture I provided, the left side is the head. Also, stink bugs don't have the spikey legs like the nymph. You can somewhat make out its legs in the upper part of the picture.

I'd really like to think it's a stink bug, but I've no doubt that Sublimecraft is correct.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: sn0rch

Fortunately I've never had that happen. I can't really think of anything around my place that they've gotten into; I've literally been over everything three times by now. But at the same time, one never knows about their neighbors. *sigh* The thought of more of those things are giving me a headache.

Ahh if it is a baby one, then there are more. Lots more. and once they get a foot in, they are damn hard to get rid of.

And they're intelligent. I've watched them before, even seen one try to help another one that I'd half killed.
that was a shock to see, one roach stop dead in front of another and the antenna twitch all over it.

And I saw a mother roach not leave her dead baby roach once. Stayed there for about 12 hours, in the laundry.. Would move and twitch if I moved, so I knew it was not out of it or whatever.

Makes it a thing for me to just whack 'em. I only justify it by reasoning that it's my house, they have the rest of the world to annoy

Oh and also, if you do squish one, I bet you anything you smell almonds. Their guts stink like almonds.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
That's a stink bug. The nymph and stink bug have distinctly different features if you pay attention.

And they're not even the same shape.

Ahhuh, it's one of these OP. you can tell by how it looks nothing like your picture.... lmao

but your doomed bug that has been whacked and therefore curled up like a dead prawn, is completely not the same, doesnt even have a tail.. or meow. so it's certainly not a penguin....

stink bug... :/

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
As purple said, it's a stink bug. They're very common here in the UK.

can you do a google image search for stink bugs then.. because mine is broken, and they look like the stink bugs we have always known down here in Australia.

Unlike that baby cockroach the OP has posted...

www.google.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Ugh. So sorry I clicked this threadm eeeew!

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch
Ahh if it is a baby one, then there are more. Lots more.

Well, it's been several hours since that one met its demise. My conscious is clear after assisting "Phil" in starting its journey to the bug equivalent of hell. Fortunately, I've not come across any more of its friends in their desire to join "Phil" on its journey. So I'm hoping it just hitched a ride on my shoe, from someplace far far away. Yes, it's just a hitchhiker!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join