It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS infosec chief: We should pull clearance of feds who fail phish test

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

"Someone who fails every single phishing campaign in the world should not be holding a TS SCI [top secret, sensitive compartmentalized information—the highest level of security clearance] with the federal government," stated Beckman. "You have clearly demonstrated that you are not responsible enough to responsibly handle that information."

Beckman runs his own phishing tests, and those who fall for the fake phishing emails (by clicking on the enclosed link and entering usernames and passwords) are required to take Internet security training classes. And while the test e-mails he uses are clearly coming from outside of DHS and "to any security practitioner, they're blatant," Beckman said that there are some employees, including senior officials, who continually fall for them. Beckman suggested this is because "there are no repercussions to bad behavior... there’s no punitive damage, so to speak."

Liml

I imagine many may disagree but how can someone who falls for these ploys several times be trusted with sensitive information or a position where it is present. To me it demonstrates a lack of awareness of simple security or lack of concern.

Why hasn't it already been done. I some times wonder about who is working for DHS. Some people are not cut out for certain jobs.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Thanks to Obamacare, all American's medical data is now electronically accessible and overseen by such people.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Thanks to Obamacare, all American's medical data is now electronically accessible and overseen by such people.

The ACA is not top secret. Do you think of a way to blame Obama for everything?

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I agree, seems like not falling for a phish would a pretty low bar to stay above.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Seriously what does that have to do with DHS employees and top secret clearance. Also don't think what you said is as cut and dry as you say.

There is plenty if incompentent people in the private sector too.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

It certainly isn't but, even if it was, it wouldn't be secure.

Just sayin'.

Yes, it is Obama's fault (and the rest of the Democrats who voted for the ACA).

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Seriously what does that have to do with DHS employees and top secret clearance. Also don't think what you said is as cut and dry as you say.

Incompetence is the rule rather than the exception. The only thing that attenuates the continued employment of incompetent employees is economic incentives not to screw up. You must lose your job and your company should fold if you can't live up to your stated service offering.

That's not how government works at all.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

So you reason that since it's not top secret it's acceptable for the government to require citizens to provide highly sensitive personal data and then to put that data in a very unsecure location for the whole world to break into and steal?

Do you think of a way to justify everything that the government does?

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Just sayin'.

I hate to break this to you but anything that is connected to the internet really isn't that secure do you want to blame Obama for that too?

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Incompetence is the rule rather than the exception. The only thing that attenuates the continued employment of incompetent employees is economic incentives not to screw up. You must lose your job and your company should fold if you can't live up to your stated service offering.

And according to you, government was never incompetent before Obama

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Just sayin'.

I hate to break this to you but anything that is connected to the internet really isn't that secure do you want to blame Obama for that too?

You are right, I don't keep sensitive data in electronic form accessible via networks.

I presume neither do you.

link   

originally posted by: incoserv

So you reason that since it's not top secret it's acceptable for the government to require citizens to provide highly sensitive personal data and then to put that data in a very unsecure location for the whole world to break into and steal?

No but blaming the ACA for something that has nothing to do with the article is just nonsense.

link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

Government is, has always been and always will be incompetent.
edit on 21-9-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

No but blaming the ACA for something that has nothing to do with the article is just nonsense.

It is relevant.

If the government employees whose job it is to keep sensitive data secure fail to live up to their duties, what makes you think government employees whose responsibilities don't explicitly require security awareness will?

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Just sayin'.

You are right, I don't keep sensitive data in electronic form accessible via networks.

Do you bank online, check your credit cards online? Are your medical records online? Most of us do everything we can to protect themselves, that being said most of us don't have enough to worry about. Bumper sticker on my car "To poor to vote Republican"

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Just sayin'.

Do you bank online, check your credit cards online? Are your medical records online? Most of us do everything we can to protect themselves, that being said most of us don't have enough to worry about. Bumper sticker on my car "To poor to vote Republican"

I don't have all of the sensitive data about the population of the United States of America.
edit on 21-9-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

But you are still going to blame Obama and the ACA for the incompetence, funny I don't remember the OP mentioning the ACA at all.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

But you are still going to blame Obama and the ACA for the incompetence, funny I don't remember the OP mentioning the ACA at all.

He didn't, I did to remind everyone that the complete medical data disclosure was a mistake for the reasons indicated in the article.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Look, if you want to trust a garbageman with YOUR personal data, go ahead, it's your data (garbageman, yes, the US gov security is that bad)

OBAMACARE forces everyone to hand over THEIR personal data, to satisfy YOUR political leanings is just gross stupidity.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Obamacare doesn't force you to hand over anything, you don't like, pay your own insurance or the penalties. You still have a choice, would honestly bet that your banks or credit cards would give you that choice.

edit on 9/21/2015 by BubbaJoe because: because of a serious site glitch

edit on 9/21/2015 by BubbaJoe because: stuff is not working

edit on 9/21/2015 by BubbaJoe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join