It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone experience numbness while meditating?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I hope there are others who could provide me with some insight. Thank you for reading this.

I've been mindfully meditating for approximately 1.5 years, and for the last 6 months my entire body, except for my neck and head, become very numb within 5-10 minutes from the start of meditation. When I say "numb" I mean really numb (and heavy) - to the point that I feel like a lead blanket has been draped over me. The strange thing is that while I experience this state, I can stop meditating, talk to my Wife, watch television, anything, and as long as I don't move my body, the numbness remains. One time while in this condition, I asked my Wife to tickle my feet, and even though I am normally very ticklish, I couldn't feel a thing..... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Numbness is a sign that you are cutting the blood circulation to your limbs.
Are you in a precarious pose when you are doing this? I know some eastern philosophies advise the lotus position. But if you were not raised in a culture that sits on the floor all the time, then your body won't like to be forced into that position.

It is also not necessary to take an awkward pose to calm your mind and reflect. It is better to be comfortable. Even if it is in a comfy chair. If that is the best place for you to relax, then that is as good a place as any.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
hey, ill get my team on it.

we'll see who else it is happening too, and how long it has been happening. well see if we can find anything leading to a specific person carrying out harmful activities.

i know since i got involved with the CIA my meditation was cut out, but i wasnt numb so thats the difference there.
i am not promising a quick fix, my fix has not come yet, we are at war understood.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Thank you. No, it's definitely not a circulation problem. This happens no matter where I sit, and only while meditating.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Nioreh962 Got it, thanks.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Excellent, the numbness is what you want, The next step is to let go, so your neck and head also becomes numb and you have no sensation of breathing or any other body sensation. Once that happens, your mind will go into a deeper state because it no longer has the sensual feedback of the body to amuse it. I try let my mind be an observer and nothing else. After completing that for a few more months you will start realizing subtle things that were previously lost in the chaos of disordered thought. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Numbness is a sign that you are cutting the blood circulation to your limbs

Its normal, I suspect the same numbness occurs to the body when it enters deep sleep but because the mediator is still is aware, he can realize it, is all. Perhaps this is how some hinud's can have operations on their body without anaesthetic.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
From my point of view:

The bodies senses can be increased or decreased. When I was younger I could as my father turn off physical pain in my body.

Then I increased sensory where you can feel the energy flow thru your body and the vibrations in the nerve endings. And now I cannot turn off physical pain anymore.

I can relate to the feeling of the body being heavy and relaxed when I meditate, listen to music, play around.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I used to meditate and had the same problem, I never could get comfortable; it seemed like I was just punishing myself. I started lying down on the hard floor with a pillow then it was fine after that. Never fell asleep. Not sure if this is whats recommended but hits the nail on the head every time. Just drift off and allow the thoughts, sounds, etc. to just flow, then you catch something nice. Usually things come up answering my internal dialogue that goes on throughout the day, its a very effective and direct method for me.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

After completing that for a few more months you will start realizing subtle things that were previously lost in the chaos of disordered thought.

I hope you're right, thanks.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: sophie87

Usually things come up answering my internal dialogue

That must be nice. I look forward to reaching the same state, as there aren't many answers coming, yet. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I experience heat,like a warm glow,never had numbness though.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

It depends on how I'm sitting...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach

I experience heat,like a warm glow,never had numbness though.

Heat is one of the side effects manifesting in the body due to chi/light flow. Cold and Vibration are others.
edit on 23-9-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

top topics

join