It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2005 doesn't seem right

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
When you start the year with 100's of thousands dying in one go (ok it was the end of last year but i'm sure the cosmos has a margin of error of at least one week), and tapei has a huge building which looks like those big evil arcologies in sim city 2000, with bush in power for 4 more years, and Iraq getting worse and worse, plus all the mass hysteria and the doomsday prophets coming out in force... i dont see how you could see this as a bad year...

This decade hasn't been that extraordinary when it comes to human suffering and natural disasters, when you look at the big picture. Let's just take the 7 year period of 1939 - 1945 as a random example... the years 2000 - 2005 can't hold a candle to the suffering and deaths of hundreds of millions of people, the complete destruction of entire countries, and a World War that was truly total and global in scale in those years... and that was just the man-made disasters, not the natural ones that also occured during that time. Also, there have always been unpopular leaders, doomsday prophets, and weird architecture.

I don't think the world's about to end; nor do I think that the last few years have set any precedents in how dangerous the world is to live in. It just seems that way to many young people because this is the first time the true reality of the world we live in has hit us all head on; the simple truth is that it's our turn to suffer, as every generation has.

At least with modern technology, like the Internet, we have a place to meet en masse and get our troubles and worries off our chest from time to time.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
I feel like every year since 2000 has had a surrealness to it.
Almost like we are at the top of a mountain, all crammed together on a tiny peak, about to topple off. Balanced on the edge of the abys...LOL

I think you summed it up. It just seems since we hit 2000 the years have been eventful, but their meaning has been...hollow. It just seems as if the entire world is on the edge of their seat in nervous agitation to see 'what's next'.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Did you know that if you write out 2005 backwords it looks like sooz OMG! how weird! were all gonna die !

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Almost like we are at the top of a mountain, all crammed together on a tiny peak, about to topple off. Balanced on the edge of the abys...LOL
[edit on 1/1/2005 by ANOK]

Hey, when falling off a mountain you may as well try to fly, you have nothing to lose.

My 2005 started out with a blown motor in my car, My boss going into the hospital for a hip replacement, which means i'm screwed at work, and hugging my son as he climbed aboard a bus to go off to war.

AND WERE ONLY 6 DAYS INTO THIS STUPID YEAR!!!!!!!!!

NO, I will not cry, I will not scream. I will not find a tall building and toss myself into the hands of god or even try to fly for that matter. 2005 will get better, I just know it will. It HAS too.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
2005 or 2000 or 1985 or 1652 (any year really) are only relevant because we mark time by the Gregorian Calendar. It has become the world standard (generally) and really means nothing to you if you are one who does not acknowledge the death of Jesus. For the rest, you are either a Christian or just going with the flow.

For years and dates to have any real prophetic significance, you could say that the Christian religion would need to be absolutely true and above all others. Anyone up for a spot of Rapture?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I think its because of a few doomsday saying stuff(THINK:JOHN TITOR(i hate that guy,Mayan calendar,7 yr tingie, etc, etc), plus the tragedy at the end of 2004 gives us(or me, personally) a bad feeling for this year. Whatever it is, lets hope this yr would be better for us.BUt theres a sense of...surreality with 2005.Just makes it feel like sumtings not right.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'm still miffed I don't have my jetpack and flying car by now dammit!

People from the 50's would be SO disappointed we weren't there yet...

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Cargo said 2005 or 2000 or 1985 or 1652 (any year really) are only relevant because we mark time by the Gregorian Calendar. It has become the world standard (generally) and really means nothing to you if you are one who does not acknowledge the death of Jesus. For the rest, you are either a Christian or just going with the flow.

But then there is the confusion of our calendar being correct -- I posted this thread (which I admit is long) about the possiblility of our current calendar being off by some years. Check out this link to see if you agree with me that our year could be off somewhat.

link

Oops gotta run -- they want to know where to put the gas service...... Hope this was clear

jm

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm still miffed I don't have my jetpack and flying car by now dammit!

People from the 50's would be SO disappointed we weren't there yet...

Gaz, trust me...you are not the only one that is thoroughly pissed that I dont have my:
Pink Hoverboards made by Mattel
Flying Cars
Self Cleaning Jackets
Super Atomic Microwaves that turn small pills into large pizzas
Jaws 11
Holograms on every street corner
and dont forget Rhino steel toed boots

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Not really surprising. Almost every year since 1999 we've been waiting for, anticipating something big in the coming year.

In 1999 we were waiting for the big Y2K bug to spell the end of civilization, plus it was the "end of the millenium" so "something big's bound to happen.

In 2000, it was an election year. We spent all year waiting to find out who'd win in November.

In 2001, we were waiting to see how GWB would fare as president. Plus, we're probably pre-dating the anxiety and tension from September 11th throughout the whole year.

In 2002 we were waiting to see how the US would react to the attack.

In 2003 we were building up to war in Iraq.

In 2004 we were, again, waiting for the results of the election.

Add to this the general angst of life, and it's not surprising to me that the last half decade has been a bit surreal, especially for younger folk (which, let's face it, most people participating in Internet message board discussions are). Is it the most momentous decade in recent memory? No, but it's still been one filled with a lot of anticipation of huge events.

Who knows what 2005 will bring. Me, I hope it brings boredom on a world-wide scale, gods know we could all use some

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Every year, people hoped for world peace or sumting optimistic, but it just never came since 1999, as Whiskey Jack has mentioned.Maybe thats why 2005 has this bad feeling to it, a feeling most probably hardened and anticipated because of the past few years.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Our T.V. went out just before the ball hit for 2005. Bad omen? Also my girlfriend ended up drinking too much and puking her guts out for hours upon end, hence ruining my night. Pretty bad start here I'd say.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Maybe the surreal factor is due to the fact that society is getting dessensitized to things due to the ever growing media. the overwhelming thought that the world is gonna blow up, or the end of computers is here, or bush is gonna blow us all up, or osamas gonna atack my little farm in the middle of nowhere, and whatever else that is circulated in the media is what perpetuates the fears that make our lives so incredibly weird. maybe the world is experiancing a worlwide fall into madness due to the realization of what is happening world wide. who knows maybe were gonna see the beginning of the planet of the apes scenario.

In all honesty though my point is that whatever happens on a worldwide scale whether it be tragedy or miracle theres nothing anyone person can do to change it therefore its best to take life day by day worry about your own problems and things that directly effect you and think about how to solve those problems before pondering on problems that are so enormous you can't even fathom the figures.

Not sure if that makes sense just wanted to add my two cents worth because im so opionated and all

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Yup, let's sum 2005 up for now:

155,000+ people killed in earthquake and tsunamis
Killer storms kill 15 people in Northen Europe
Killer storms all over US
Another 4 years for Bush
A whole deluge of volcano and earthquake activity
North Korea threatens US
US threatens Iran
China Threatens Taiwan

So, far, a damn good year and it's barely even started.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
it can't get too much worse than 2004 right?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
well the US and middle east can still decide to start lobbing nukes at eachother

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
There is definately a very strong vibe coming off this year (if that's possible). I've felt strange since new years eve, like there's something coming, but I don't know what it is. It could be something specific to just me or it could be a world changing event, I'm not sure.

All I know is the atmosphere feels electric around me, everything seems to look surreal, almost like I'm drugged. I constantly feel at the alert like something is about to happen any second now. It feels like it is going to be a good thing, but at the same time feels like it's going to be bad.

I have also had trouble sleeping since the start of this year. Just toss & turn & can't settle down. I keep getting quite strong urges to go for wanders at night, look at the sky & generally just appreciate my surroundings.

Anyway, all we can do is sit back and watch and see if anything happens

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
LordGoofus: My mother and I were having the same exact conversation the other day. The atmosphere does indeed seem "electric" and "surreal/drugged-like feeling" is exactly how we, and many that I know have been describing it, too.
Also, the difficulty sleeping has been immense as well. I keep waking up in the middle of the night with a strange feeling all the time now and not even sure how to explain it. Also, I've been waking up from deep sleeps, abruptly sitting up in bed in an alarmed state at 1:11am for days now and or 11:11pm depending. Maybe I am going crazy. Who knows anymore. Not that it matters if I was going crazy.. the whole world's going crazy, so what's the difference. LOL.

But, it's kinda like whatever this is that's gonna come, might be a bad thing, but might have something good come out of it way in the end.
Very strange feeling.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by greenblob]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
actually ihave to side with both of you lord goofus and greenblob on the sleep and weirdness issues. I was doing my usual things the other night looking at threads on this forum and it seemed as if i had to keep checking my own sanity i thought i was hallucinating because every once in a while lately i have seen these flashes of light out of the corner of my eye at night. no idea what the hell that is but i always see them at night well im doing something so i can't figure it out. just last night i was watching tv and kept seeing shapes going by in the windows in my house out of my peripheral vision once again i have no clue what that was all about but it seemed the less i thought about any of it the more weird things got last night. At one point i was checking out the world of warcraft site and they have these still graphics that don't move and i thought they were breathing.I don't do drugs of anytype and i was not sleep deprived. This just adds to the weird feeling of 2005 though despite the fact of my previous opinion i just wanted to say that i do feel 2005 is getting weirder by the moment.

What if its a worldwide guilt for the tsunami victims. Maybe the mind control thing has finally been put into effect by the states and up here in canada people are feeling the side effects. I dunno just really weird lately and im weirded out now

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Wow! I've bee nexperiencing the flashes of light. Even more interesting, I've been seeing barely noticeable streaks and flashes darting across my vision, especially after a meditation. This has never happened before.

I know exactly what you mean about going out at night and simply looking at the sky. I'm always tempted to do that, and I admit I do go out and walk around at night sometimes...it's so beautiful.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join