It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most disliked (hated) term (???)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's my point exactly; I understand what the word is intended to mean, but the fact of the matter is it is an incorrect usage of the word. In fact, it's not even a "word", but two words and it speaks volumes about the intelligence of the person saying it. Physiologically speaking there is no actual derogatory connotation, only one imagined by some PC crowd using this oblique reference. If they had any cojones at all they'd just say "Fat, dumb, redneck slob"...but then they'd probably get their ass kicked (like maybe they should). Instead they try to pass of some meaningless term, like it's code or something, as an insult. Just makes the person saying it look like an idiot.

No, there is no one hiding the meaning of the word. It's another way of calling someone a fat, lazy slob. Is it an annoying term? I guess, but so are just about all derogatory terms. Bringing in the "PC crowd" is unnecessary; the term has been associated with the basement dwelling and lives in his parent's basement computer gamer stereotype since the mid-2000's.

I believe that it really gained notoriety among the World of Warcraft players since that game changed the scope of how social games are played. At least that was were I used to see it applied to when I played the game.
edit on 21-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Okay, so here's a test...

What do you think will happen when...

a.) Some little keyboard commando walks up to someone and calls them a "mouthbreather"?

b.) Some little keyboard commando walks up to someone and calls them a "fat, lazy, slob"?

Answer:

a.) Keyboard commando likely gets a pass, and gets the personal satisfaction of thinking he just called someone, whom he would never dare to on his best day, a fat, lazy, slob.

b.) Keyboard commando gets a beating, gets humiliated in front of his 'mouthbreathing' buddies and remembers to never, ever, try stupid crap like that again! Next time he'll stick with a code word which doesn't make any sense (and his adversary will just think he's an idiot).

Make sense now?

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Feminazi. It's a popular term used by MGTOW to describe any woman who refuses to pleasure them. It's even more harmful when used by women to attack other women. Femtard is a close second. Then Libtard.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Like, when I say something in proper English

I'm a city boy living in a redneck town

dixie freak

Your whole post reeks of "I'm better than them". I suspect your "backward ass rednecks" attitude has offended more of your fellow townspeople than a widely used Southern saying has offended you. You are in their territory.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Okay, so here's a test...

What do you think will happen when...

a.) Some little keyboard commando walks up to someone and calls them a "mouthbreather"?

b.) Some little keyboard commando walks up to someone and calls them a "fat, lazy, slob"?

Answer:

a.) Keyboard commando likely gets a pass, and gets the personal satisfaction of thinking he just called someone, whom he would never dare to on his best day, a fat, lazy, slob.

b.) Keyboard commando gets a beating, gets humiliated in front of his 'mouthbreathing' buddies and remembers to never, ever, try stupid crap like that again! Next time he'll stick with a code word which doesn't make any sense (and his adversary will just think he's an idiot).

Make sense now?

Actually, it is likely that said "keyboard commando" would get beat up in both situations. Or at least have similar consequences happen to him for either phrase said. They mean the same thing, and most people know what you mean when you call someone a mouth breather.

Now if YOU let someone have a pass for calling you a mouth breather in a face-to-face conversation but wouldn't let someone pass for calling you a fat, lazy slob, that is likely because you are ignorant to mouth breather's connotations. So not only does that guy get to be smug for insulting you without you retaliating how you would if he said something else, but now he knows that you are culturally out of touch with modern slang. So he likely has MORE verbal ammo that he can use against you.

By the way, if you beat someone up for them saying either of those two phrases to you, you are WORSE than that keyboard warrior. No one deserves a beating for insulting you.
edit on 21-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
irregardless
irregardless if it's been mentioned already

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
I don't know if this is a local thing or if it's used across the entire south, but it's more of a phrase than a word...

"Good land, I do reckon!"

Well, after typing that I've decided I really hate the word "reckon" (yet, I use it on occasion because it's been instilled in my vocabulary). But, that phrase makes no logical sense and it really messes with my brain.

Sure it does? Reckon - to be of the opinion. Effectively saying "Good land, I think"

I reckon it makes sense anyway. Now Yinz, thats a word I've never heard before and it exists, and is a contraction of You Ones used in some place over yonder, and it irks me for some reason. Almost as bad as Yous, which does not exist, yet there exists a bunch of Aussies continually spouting off about "yous lot" and it's painful to read.

Yinz Wiki

"Good land, I think." would make sense if you're talking about... well, land of course. The trouble is that phrase is never used in context when referring to land at all. It's used as a statement of unbelief or astonishment sort of like "Holy [crap]!" or "Oh my God!" would be used (or, "Oh my word!" for those who think using the word "God" in that context is more diabolical than kicking puppies).

Example:

"Mr. Ambrose, Mrs. Maybelle passed away this morning."

"Good land, I do reckon! I just saw her working in the garden yesterday!"

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

"Hella" (something) - is another one.

"Like" (as a descriptor) - "I was like just sitting there, and she like came over and got all like in my face. And I was like...REALLY?" (Go back to the Valley, girl!)

"Bro" - Just LOVE that one, right? Whenever someone says this I feel this sudden, uncontrollable, urge to grab a...tazzer!!
...until medium well done!

right ?

edit on 21-9-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is not really a word, but more of an assault on words.

Using "n" instead of completing a word.
Such as instead of saying "mountain", it becomes moun-n.
Kitten becomes Ki-n.

During the Treyvon Martin case the talking heads were sometimes even saying "the Mar-n's.

Infuriating.

Also "Disrespected" as in 'you disrespected me'.
There is no such word as 'disrespected'. Disrespectful, yes.
edit on 9/21/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think that there are some folk who delight in using offensive words, stuff like Mong and Windowlicker, because they take delight in accusing anyone who critisises them of being Libtards or PC.
You can't win.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Antidisestablishment

No, FemiNAZI is used to describe a feminist who's just in it for the thing and dont really have a clue what feminism is.
Who takes the word feminist as a protection in any matter and to discredit men.

Feminism is STUPID. Humanism or equalism should be the word.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The use of "whenever" while describing a unique point in time event. Example: I just tripped over that cord whenever I was coming around the corner and spilled my coffee.

"Pay their fair share" in any of it's many variants is another pet peeve purely because it is almost always used in relation to wanting an outcome far, far from fair.

"Assault weapon" Hey chucklehead, if I pick up a shovel and bash you with it, I've just assaulted you with a weapon... does that make shovels "assault weapons?" No? Then sit down and shut the hell up already.

This is definitely a regional pet peeve which *maybe* one or two folks here will get. People calling any spawning phase, dark salmon a "red" salmon and confusing them with actual red salmon or sockeyes. I've had angry arguments with guys on the water who say something like "I caught a 30 lb red right down there!" Didja? That's AMAZING! You caught a red twice the size of the world record! Should I call the newspaper because they'll certainly want to cover this story. "No, that's not the record. There's a bunch of them down there that are over 3 foot long, man." Those are kings. Spawning kings that have turned fire engine red. A "Red" salmon is a unique fish you irritating dumbass.

"Whatcha fishin' for?" I get this a lot from folks up here from the lesser 48... Had a guy this summer who caught me in a mood, resulting in the following exchange:
Him: Whatcha trying to catch on this river?
Me: Fish
Him (developing an odd stare and looking stern): Well, obviously. What kind of fish?
Me: Whatever's biting
I don't walk up to strangers who are writing a letter in the park and pry "Hey, who you writing to?" or go up to two strangers chatting: "What are you two talking about?" or grab some dude with an iPod "Whatcha listening to?" I'm not a tourist attraction, nor am I a tour guide, so move along, spend your $$$, and don't miss your flight back home.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Yeah, I know it comes off as arrogant, I was raised by rednecks never had a problem with them, but when I left the city, well lets just say these people are EXTRA SPECIAL. To be honest, I think its just the area, because the surrounding states seem to be much smarter.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yah but seeing it as: that is usually the way it is; then it fits in a lot of situations. So much so that I carry that term in My Avatar Box!! LOL!!! So I like it and I can see that You don't.
So to each His own I s'pose? You know, "It is what it is!!" LMAO!!!

edit on 21-9-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: fartlordsupreme

well these are some awesome responses yall
i was expecting some super ghetto hillybilly style responses
but yinz are actually doing pretty good
ya dern whippersnappers certainly aint no mouthbreathers
suppsebly its a matter of national security that we continue this mission
so lets do our best and get this done instantaneously

....YOLO

You done did'n Awesome Job on Taht'n there! I been done laughin my ass off here over that'n.. Just as an instantanious Laughing jerk of the jknees type o thing!!! Yippee Skippee and all that 2... LMFAO!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

"Hella" (something) - is another one.

"Like" (as a descriptor) - "I was like just sitting there, and she like came over and got all like in my face. And I was like...REALLY?" (Go back to the Valley, girl!)

"Bro" - Just LOVE that one, right? Whenever someone says this I feel this sudden, uncontrollable, urge to grab a...tazzer!!
...until medium well done!

Uh, does "Bruh" count? I say that sometimes, like when I'm talking someone out of doing something stupid.

Friend: That's it! I'm pissed and I'M SNAPPING!!!
Me: Come on, bruh. Let it go. It's not worth it.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
'drink plenty of fluids' - well, what else would i drink?

'it's always in the last place you look' - yes, because i stop looking when i've found it.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Right? Like, "whenever I went there" instead of "WHEN I WENT THERE".

Drives me nutty.....
and - "I would of ran....."
"We had went"
"I seen"
"it don't"

GAH!!!!!

edit on 9/21/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I hate the term "Neckbeard". I'm not the metrosexual manscaping type of guy -- I like being a little scruffy (until it gets annoying), mostly because my five o' clock shadow is more like a five o' clock eclipse. A lot of times, it's growing under my chin and upper neck. So when that happens, "Neckbeard" becomes insulting. I would argue against it, but I have no idea what it means as far as an insult.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
I literally walk away or hang up on a
m#£herf#€h£r (and I DO NOT CARE who it is) who says,
"To be honest with you" or
"To tell you the truth".
I have learned that those who say either or, can be trusted the least.

I would LOVE to smack the p!ss out of whomever thought of the term "selfie" and "camper" (anyone who plays Call of Duty, knows what I mean).

Others....
"What say you?"
"At the end of the day"
"Make no mistake about it"

Sh!t....I could go on for hours.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join