It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most disliked (hated) term (???)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

"Instantaneously" (Grrr just say "instantly"! It's shorter, means the same thing, AND SOUNDS BETTER!!!)

I am sorry but

Instantaneously, pretty much means can happen
Instantly means is happening

They are different words, its important not to confuse them.
They are not interchangeable.

I hate it when people think words are interchangeable when they dont know the meaning

Grrr...

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: fartlordsupreme

well these are some awesome responses yall
i was expecting some super ghetto hillybilly style responses
but yinz are actually doing pretty good
ya dern whippersnappers certainly aint no mouthbreathers
suppsebly its a matter of national security that we continue this mission
so lets do our best and get this done instantaneously

....YOLO

Hey thanks for the ice breaker, I laughed so hard..

You forgot to add "Weapons of mass destruction" and "terrorists", it was mentioned two times..

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

"Reach out to the community"

"Could of"

Both make me want to give the user a mighty slap across the chops.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
When news reports say alleged or allegedly after someone has been arrested for know crimes. If a person is caught in the act that causes them to be arrested. Then it is not alleged. Simply that person did it.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
"cross pollination" is another one. What, we're all flowers now???

"network" - 'It would be good to have our people network with your people...' (GACK!)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   

It's a joke made at expense of people on the computer all the time, because they tend to be overweight and obesity causes more mouth breathing.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
When news reports say alleged or allegedly after someone has been arrested for know crimes. If a person is caught in the act that causes them to be arrested. Then it is not alleged. Simply that person did it.

This may annoy you, but it is done for VERY good reasons. To protect the accused from mob justice. I mean the media is already pretty bad about labeling someone guilty before the verdict comes down, if they weren't required to use the word alleged, it would get MUCH worse. I think saying alleged, even IF the guilt is beyond doubt upon capture, is ALWAYS a good idea. It's part of being innocent until proven guilty.
edit on 21-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I really hate the saying: "Cheer up, it may never happen".
I don't even know where to begin.
When I went through a rough time and I was so depressed and upset I could have cried at any moment, also my dad had died only a short time before that. I did look mislerable but I had to go shopping despite me wanting to stay in bed and cover myself with a blanket; and a woman on the till [checkout] said the above to me. Trust me, I wanted to jump over the belt and hurt her badly, that is how RUDE and inconsiderate I found her saying it. Instead I just looked at her with an even madder face than before.

Do these people not realise that if you look unhappy than 99.9% it 'has already happened'? And that your stupid comment just fuels the fire?

Anyway, that one above I hate most. The next ones are 'racist' and 'bigot' used as a cheap, last resort. Stops any discussion and makes the one who said it 'better than everyone else', without having to come up with anything tangible.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

More importantly, the facts are; regardless of appearance, a person is "innocent until PROVEN guilty...in a court of law (by a Jury of their peers)". That last underlined part is important. For this reason it is simply incorrect to say anything other than "alleged / allegedly" when referring to a perpetrator prior to a finding of Guilt.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
"wake up" or "sheeple". makes you sound super pretentious. on a site that has the motto deny ignorance i see people daily saying this crap. it doesn't make your case any stronger it only makes me never want to meet you in the real world

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

This is all well and good, but it's still an aggravating, dumb-ass, word/saying.

Not to mention it speaks to the level of intelligence of a person such a saying would resonate with (not in a good way either!)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I read through all the responses and didn't see the one that came to my mind on reading the title.

Many of those already mentioned are certainly irritating, but the one I despise the most is "circle jerk".

Gah. I could hardly stand to type it.
But, there it is.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

# hashtag mouthbreather

or picture 17 y old

omg ... like ... what's up with mouthbreather ?!

omg ... that's like so ... bitchy
edit on 21-9-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Here's another of my (non) favorites...

"Hit me up" - Meaning 'text me' I guess.

or...

"Hit me up on FB"

or...

"Tweeted"

or...

"Trending" - As in 'trending on Twitter', Instagram or some other social media crap

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

picturing a 17 y stretching gum onto their finger

omg hella not cool .. trending is like the best word eva

# hashtag Flyingclaydisk .. is such a grandpa

god even my spellcheck almost threw up I had to force it to write trending (trading edit)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

More importantly, the facts are; regardless of appearance, a person is "innocent until PROVEN guilty...in a court of law (by a Jury of their peers)". That last underlined part is important. For this reason it is simply incorrect to say anything other than "alleged / allegedly" when referring to a perpetrator prior to a finding of Guilt.

Good catch. And that is exactly what I was getting at; the proven part is DEFINITELY a requirement there in order to call someone guilty. No matter HOW guilty they may look when they are captured.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
"Hella" (something) - is another one.

"Like" (as a descriptor) - "I was like just sitting there, and she like came over and got all like in my face. And I was like...REALLY?" (Go back to the Valley, girl!)

"Bro" - Just LOVE that one, right? Whenever someone says this I feel this sudden, uncontrollable, urge to grab a...tazzer!!
...until medium well done!

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

This is all well and good, but it's still an aggravating, dumb-ass, word/saying.

Not to mention it speaks to the level of intelligence of a person such a saying would resonate with (not in a good way either!)

Of course it is. It's a derogatory slur. Just giving you a heads up on where it came from since you didn't seem to be sure about it.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

That's my point exactly; I understand what the word is intended to mean, but the fact of the matter is it is an incorrect usage of the word. In fact, it's not even a "word", but two words and it speaks volumes about the intelligence of the person saying it. Physiologically speaking there is no actual derogatory connotation, only one imagined by some PC crowd using this oblique reference. If they had any cojones at all they'd just say "Fat, dumb, redneck slob"...but then they'd probably get their backside handed to them (like maybe they should). Instead they try to pass of some meaningless term, like it's code or something, as an insult. Just makes the person saying it look like an idiot.

edit on 9/21/2015 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I only realised a year or two ago that supposably is a real word...
dictionary.reference.com...
I suspect it gets used incorrectly a lot of the time. I either haven't found a use for it, or continue to use supposedly incorrectly.
(ETA: Found a bunch of interesting stuff about the difference between the 2, seemingly us Brits can forget all about supposable & its variations, it being something in American English...this warrants more investigateion...maybe...)

I have issues with the phrase & idea "fake it to make it", but that's mainly to do with the notion of lying to myself & other people.

edit on 21-9-2015 by EnochRoot because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2015 by EnochRoot because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join